Please help, what DVD player to buy?

Username: Arodvb

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I need help! lol
I have a 46" Toshiba DLP tv, and i had bought the SD-5970 DVD player, but after 20 days I took it back because it wouldn't play my discs, then got a new one, again, broke... so I'm done with that piece of junk. I need to buy a new player now. I don't want to spend over $200 though, so alot of the 720p's are out. So I will say I want a 480p, prog scan, and I would like it to be HDMI. Can anyone recommend any? I need a dvd player, its been a week without and Im going nuts!

Anonymous

the problem is is that "upcaling" units don't work so great most of the time, and they are not really 720p. Toshiba with HD-DVD AND SONY WITH BLUE RAY JUST DUMPED A BILLION DOLLARS DEVELOPING THAT NEW TRUE HI DEF DVD TECHNOLOGY DUE SOON

he real deal - the first HD-DVD players are due out in just 10 months. e..g Toshiba

all you need is a 40 to 50 dollar any brand, Panasonic, Samsung etc with progressive s/b fine - - component should work ok for that

HdMI not really useful for that

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 29
From what I hear, the DVD players that attempt to upconvert are a waste. First of all, they will only upconvert if you use the DVI connection. With most people, that connection is already being used by the Sat Box...Plus, since DVDs were intended to be played back at 480, trying to bump up the resolution only brings out the previously unseen background noise.

Anyway, I bought a Sony DVP-NS575p because it plays just about every format available. My old DVD player wouldnt play both plus & Minus DVDs and this one does.

Username: Arodvb

Post Number: 2
I just got back from Best Buy, bought the Sony DVP-NS775V ... need to buy the component video cables yet so it puts out 480p, watched a movie with the regular audio/video cables and thought it looked great, the Toshiba 720p definitely is nothing special.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 34
I anxiously await the release of HD DVDs:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us