Panasonic E85H TVGuide failure

Username: Falaniz

Orland Hills, IL United States

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Panasonic E85H and I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get the TVGuide feature to work. I have followed the instructions in the included owners manual only to have it continually come back and tell me that there were "No Listings Found". The E85H found 4 different Lineups when I initailly set it up and I can view most of the channels but no Listings are downloading.

I have searched the web looking for a solution and have found that others are experiencing the same problem. I tried different solutions including resetting the E85H by holding down the CH up and CH down for 5 seconds, which by the way does no work on my unit, and nothig seems to help. Anytime I made a change I've waited the required 24 hours only to find the same result, "No Listing found".

I have the Antenna cable from my cable company (Comcast) connected to a splitter with one conection going to the E85H and the other going to the Digital cable box. Which is to say the the E85H is bypassing the cable box and directly connected to the antenna. For the Output I am using Component video and Optical digital audio. I really don't think that the output would interfer with downloading the TVGuide but thought I would mention it. The odd thing is that my digital cable box uses a simular TVGuide feature and it functions without any problem. That leads me to believe that Comcast is not where the problem lies.

Has any other Comcast subscriber experienced a problem with the E85H? Can anyone assist with getting the TVGuide feature to work?

Thanks!

Username: Roy_w

Shady Shores, Texas Usa

To Frank Aliniz;

My problem is almost exactly the same as yours. Panasonic gave me a tracking number and said TV Guide may be in touch with me. I have also emailed Charter cable to see if they may have some help. I might mention that on your QUICK setup guide on page 3, I believe you will notice it says on the photo, that in order for the guide to work with a VCR the input cable must be plugged into t3 via the composite cables (red,yellow,white) My unit is wired with the VCR and still doesn't download the guide. Please email or post if you find a fix.

Post Number: 2
I decided to go back to the place of sale (Curcuit City) to see if they could provide me with some assistance. They suggested taking off the splitter and running the antenna directly to the cable box and then connect the E85H input to the output from the cable box. I did that and, much to my surprise, it starting downloading TVGuide listings. It appears that I now have several hours of listings and that was only after waiting 12 hours.

The one problem I have now is trying to modify the setup so that I can record one station while viewing another. I hooked up the IR blaster and even though there are 2 tuners involved with this configuration, one on the cable box an the other on the E85H, the cable box has to be left alone when recording. I do have a stereo SVHS recorder that I have yet to put into the configuration, I just may have to use it for my "View other while recording" tuner.

Any suggestions?

Username: Roy_w

Shady Shores, Texas Usa

Post Number: 2
I think the SVHS recorder will allow you to view while recording, but probably only basic cable channels. I'm not sure how high your turner on you SVHS will go. My VCR recorder only goes to channel 97, but is an old model. To view premium channels while recording premium cable channels may require a second cable box. Not sure!!!

I did get my guide to download after finding the TV Interactive channel came from the factory turned "OFF" in my setup menu. I turned it on an it started download within 24 hours and seems to be fine now.

Post Number: 3
I decided to skip the SVHS and go with the TV's tuner. I'm going to split the signal going to the Cable box and run the second line to my TV. That will give me the ability to view non-digital channels, 1 to 120, without disturbing the recording process on the Calbebox/E85. I will need to run an RCA audio OUT to my receiver if I want to get the full home theater sound that I am use to. Otherwise, I would have to put up with the stereo output from my TV.

Username: Enconwjc

MA

I have had the Panasonic DMR-E85H DVR for less than a year and until a few weeks ago it functioned perfectly fine.

SETUP
First let me tell you about the way I have it set up physically...from the cable wall outlet, I have a coaxial cable (75 ohm) going into the DVR. From the DVR I have a coaxial cable (75 ohm) going into my Panasonic Television. I also have a separate DVD player going into the A/V jacks input #1 and a VCR going into the A/V jacks input #2. On the output side of the DVR I have component Video out going into the Component Video In on my Panasonic TV. I also have the DVR Audio Output #1 going to the Audio Input #1 on my Panasonic TV. Audio output #2 goes to my stereo and Video Output#2 goes to my Panasonic TV Video Input #2. Thats about it for setup. Oh, I have Charter Cable (NO CABLE BOX)http://www.charter.com which has TV Guide Onscreen capabilities.

PROBLEM
Ok, here is the issue, again the unit has functioned fine until a few weeks ago.

The TV Guide on Screen Channel Listings are all mixed up. It lists TV Shows incorrectly ... it shows the correct time and date but the program listings are all discombobulated. Some of the programs that I record weekly now just record static, so I have to stop the recording and change the channel to the correct station (not the one shown in the listing)...so for example, I record the show "24" every week and have for some time, successfully. Well,I have changed none of the settings, and "24" still shows up as the program scheduled to record (in the TV Guide Onscreen listings). but when it is time for the program to air, it records the program "Coin Vault." I then have to select a different channel in order to record "24." One last thing ... the networks that are listed near the channels in the On Screen TV Guide are all screwed up as well (ie. ABC is shown when it should be CBS). The Bizarre thing is the listings appear correct but when the onscreen listing is selected it is the wrong channel.

Finally, again No setup configuration changes have occured to prompt this issue. I have confirmed my cable configuation setup in the unit (ie. zip code, no cable box, etc.)

Tak
Unregistered guest
I have been using Pana E85H for the last 9 months with Comcast set top box. Every 6 weeks or so, TVGuide settings are messed up. Severity differs every time including messing up all the channel line ups from Comcast, mapping a channel to a wrong one or losing only display setting of each channel.

According to a Panasonic support person, this is due to erroneous data transferred from Comcast. But I suspect there is vulnerability in error correction scheme on E85H's part.

This morning I also noticed the clock setting is around 4 minutes off for a few weeks. After waiting for 30 minutes on customer support line on hold, I talked with their support engineer and followe his suggestion to reset the cable connection settings. Here are what I didn:

1. Hold channel up and down button for 10 seconds.
2. Unplug the power cable from the back and wait for 30 seconds.
3. Power up the machine.
4. Follow the initial TVGuide setup pages.
5. Leave it off for 24 hours for downloading program info.

I am waiting the machine to come up with all the program info.

I don't know what kind of protocol TVGuide and E85H is using but changes of channels and programs should be handled more graciously handled in E85H.

People have a similar experience?

Unregistered guest
check to see if your local cable company changed their channel lineup. Not that the order of the channels has changed but if it went from: example
with comcast I need the choose digtal rebuild from the four listed. They have a habit of changing them without a heads up. I have the same machine for a couple of years and have not had any problems. I install equipment for a living, but the functionality of the machine is nice, I even take some of the content for my Comcast DVR onto the hard drive and get some pretty good copies. Post if you have more questions

BillMc
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased an E85H and it's been changing my TV channels when the DVR is turned off. I find I either have to leave the E85H turned on when I'm watching TV or I have to move the IR remote so my channel doesn't change about once every 90 seconds. Anybody else have this problem or know of a solution? Thanks

Lostin Calif
Unregistered guest
This was posted yesterday on a E85HS thread, but I have new information.

We have a DMR-E85H, and I can't even get to first base on burning DVDs. I haven't made ONE! I know it can be done, so I need a tip or two.

When dubbing a play list in SP mode, the display says "DUB" and everything looks OK. After about a minute, the screen goes blank, the display says "BYE" for a second, then "SELF CHECK" for a minute, then "L3" (default input, no TVGuide), then "BYE" and "SELF CHECK".

Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

NEW INFO: I used the link

http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm

to find that the manufacture date was Mar 31, 2004. Will updating the firmware solve these problems?

fx
Unregistered guest
Lostin Calif,

The problem is not you. Pannys are very particular about media (ie: the DVD-R) I only use Maxell, Sony or Panasonic DVD-R's and have burt over 400 dvd's with zero coasters.

Which brand and type of media are you using?

-----To BillMc-------

The recorder is doing what it is supposed to do. It is seeking the channel which will download the program guide. Either go in the guide setup menu and change it to 1. No Cable Box or else do what you have been doing.

xvxvxvx

Lostin Calif
Unregistered guest
Dear fx,

Thanks for your interest.

I am using TDK brand (with a white matte surface for printing images).

So, you don't think the firmware dated March 31, 2004 needs updating?

fx
Unregistered guest
The firmware update will not address any potential media problems. Others have found the ptintable TDK discs to be marginal at best. Try another brand and I bet your problem will disappear.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Hello

Have u got somebody an user manual for panasonic dmr-eh50.Please say where is a downloaded version!

fx
Unregistered guest
The EH50 is a UK model. If it is similar to the US E50S version you can got to the Panasonic website and download a pdf version of the manual.

xvxvxvx

PS: I found the UK download page at the link below

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-support/download-centre.asp?did=122099&fmt=p df

timi
Unregistered guest
Dear Fx

Thank's

I downloaded the manual.

Have a nice day

Bye

Lostin Calif
Unregistered guest
Dear fx,

I took your advice and used Memorex DVD-R instead of the TDK. It worked, as you said it would.

To bad I bought 50 of the TDK at Costco. Coasters anyone?

Lostin Calif

Ade P
Unregistered guest
Dear FX,

I live in Germany but my German is not good enough to follow the owners manual in my new Panasonic DMR EH52. I followed the link above to get an insturction manual in English but ended up downloading something completely different. Neither the UK nor the American Panasonic websites were any help. Do you know where I can get an English version? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us