Philips 34" only displays picture in 480p

cowman
Unregistered guest
I just got a philips 34PW8502/37 and was excited when my local Time Warner cable Co. swapped out their STB with their HD-capable STB. However, the T/W tech can only get his STB to output 480p picture to TV. If STB is set to other formats (720,1080,PASS) the picture is black with STB making "clicking" noises trying to figure out what kind of signal to process.

Time Warner connected their STB to TV via their component out to TV's component in (Y,Pb,xx) with 480 signal. I have attempted to connect STB to TV via STB's DVI-out to TV's HDMI-in via a $139.00 Monster cable and get same problem - TV can only process a 480p-grade picture.

Any ideas? Is it STB's problem?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Are you switching the input selection within your TV's settings menu when switching from a 480p to either 720p or 1080i? If you are not this is likely the problem.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

only easy (but expensive) way to isolate the problem for sure w/b is if you had an Over the Air Settop Hi Def box (e.g Samsung) available to make sure the set can produce a clean native 1080i picture. Brand new they run $200 to $350 and Circuit City usually carries them, on ebay cheaper for older models

Now short of this, after fiddling with inputs etc

First, Time Warner should assume their box is the problem and let you try a new box

2nd, consider taking back the set

cowman
Unregistered guest
Called philips support. Not much help. Same conclusion - their TV or cable box.

The user manual for TV shows all the different ways to connect things to AV ports on back of TV. The only port the manual actually says uses 1080i is AV4 (the HDMI port). The instructions for hooking a STB to AV4 says connect STB's DVI to TV's HDMI, connect L/R audio-out from STB to AV4 adio ports and then it says to connect STB's cable-out (75 ohm) to TV's cable-in. My Pace STB does not have a cable-out to connect to TV's cable-in!!! My question is does anyone have a HD TV that requires the cable-in from STB along with DVI/HDMI? Is this really just for stereo sound? If so, why connect audio L/R ports?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us