Serious Question about Component vs. HDMI

Username: Elevent

Post Number: 1
I've been reading a lot about Progressive Scan and HDMI and some of the reviews I have read have said it really makes no difference. I have read many reviews where people said the picture on 1080 is really grainy. I just bought a SONY WEGA 52" and I want the best DVD player for my TV. I have a SONY Progressive hooked up now. Any help would be very much appreciated!

airtripp
Unregistered guest
Hey chris,
Regarding the progressive matter, if you were not aware, most HDTV or EDTV displays will display any source as progressive, regardless if it originates as an interlaced signal. So then, it depends on what component in the chain does the better conversion. In most cases, the DVD player has the better processor although not always the case. Just look at the levels of the components. If you spent a good amount for your DVD player, I can almost guarantee you that it will do a better job than your TV and therefore give you a better picture. Keep in mind that only a component video cable will carry a progressive image to your TV.

As far as HDMI is concerned again you have to evaluate your setup. HDMI is a digital signal therefore it is processed in a different manner than an analog signal (component, s-video, composite). I can say that half the time I have looked at a digital signal vs. the analog component signal, the digital signal looks better. In theory, it should be more like 100% of the time, but this is not the case because of the components in the system. For example, a DVD player with excellent analog processing (last years higher-end Denon models with Silicon Images processing is one example) can definitely look superior to an HDMI signal from a lower-end "up-converting" player.

As an example, I own both the Denon 2200 and the Sony 975 up-converting player. I can play the same clip of a movie on both with the same system, and the Denon will blow away the Sony everytime. The processing in the Denon is just superior to the Sony. Some of the new players even have a seperate processor in them for analog and digital depending. By the way I don't work for Denon. Take a look at the Pioneer Elite and Yamaha products too if you really want a great DVD player.

Just take a minute to look at what else is in the system. This will help you figure out what to do hopefully. Good luck!!

Unregistered guest
If your Denon 2200 is superior to the Sony 975 wht are you keeping the Sony? Just curious.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us