What brand/model HD box does comcast provide?

Username: Dwclark

Arlington, Tx Usa

Post Number: 8
I live in the dallas area. When i go to get HD what brand/model of HD box will comcast provide me? I'm wanting to look up specs on it and see what connection options it has.

Anonymous

Comcast offers several boxes

However Comcast's best box w/b the Motorola COMBO HI DEF TUNER/HI DEF digital video recorder (MODEL DCT6400)which records pristine Hi Def signals onto a hard drive. With the 2 tuner setup available (no extra charge) you can record 2 hi def shows at once.

Hi def playack is flawless, indistinguishable from the original

It has a DVI output, and components of course and various other imputs/outputs

These are basically 1000 dollar boxes which Comcast to defeat Satellite competition only charges monthly rental fees. Its a good deal, and probably better than Satellite because the signal is great even during storms, and local channels come in perfect hi def

Username: Ticman

Tolland, Connecticut

Post Number: 5
Would you recomment the DCT6400 over using TIVO. It would eliminate one component.

Any one able to tell me the pros and cons of comcast DCT6400 recorder as compared to TIVO system? ie guide; ease of use; storage capacity; etc.
thanks
Mike

Anonymous

TIVO I believe is exclusive to satellites. Comcast I don't believe offers TIVO per se, at least not in my area in New England

TIVO in terms of longer range programming might have an edge, with its coding system. However the Comcast unit is well setup in terms of general ease-of-use, especially recording one night at a time, and most important the picture quality is absolutely first rate in terms of HI DEF quality

The new generation TIVO boxes probably can do as good a job on DirectTV etc in terms of quality, however Comcast is doing a great job with this unit. I don't have a budget per se for electronics, I can pretty much buy anything I need at any time. However I like bargains and this Comcast unit is a great deal

Currently on hard drive we have a perfect copy of the New England Patriots game from Sunday and tonight we were watching THE BIG BOUNCE in hi def, a so-so movie filmed exclusively in the North Shore of Oahu in Hawaii, however on the 92 inch wide screen it becomes a fantastic movie experience given its locale and great arial shots, and thanks to the Motorola box the playback looks BETTER than movie theater quality-turning a somewhat weak movie into a great movie experience. We are using a DVI (from box) to HDMI (front LCD projector PT-AE700u) by the way, and this may or may not be a factor in the outstanding picture quality I am receiving

The hi def capacity is something in the range of 8 to 12 hours, with non-hi def far larger -which I don't watch bother watching anymore

Others in here will know more about TIVO itself

Tolland, Connecticut

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the reply. I think I may call comcast and see if they have a spec sheet on the DCT6400 so that I could possibly do a side by side comparison with TIVO. I presently have TIVO and am very pleased with the features and ease of use--but the possiblity to eliminating one of too many components is intriguing.

Thanks again.

Mike

Duffer
Unregistered guest
You can go to Motorola's web site and get the specs on the box. I have one and the DVR works well. Yes, it does record in H/D. Not happy with the picture quality of the non-H/D channels, but the problem is in the box and Motorola is working on an upgrade.

Tolland, Connecticut

Post Number: 7
Duffer,
Thanks. Did just that and printed manual for motorola 6412 dvr cable box. Also stopped by comcast office to see one and see it in action re program guide and recording options. Looks good and the non tivo items I don't think I will miss or will learn to live with. More than doubles my recording capacity (not hd) from tivo i now have.

Unregistered guest
Shaw Cable, in Vancouver, BC, is using this box. Reception and recording on the non-digital channels(2-59) is really awful.

Shaw is aware of the problem, but so far has not made any contact with customers to say what they are planning to do.

Do not get this box for cable.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Do not get this box for cable.

Poor advice at best. The DCT6412 is the best STB HD-DVR available. The poor analog channel recording is a known problem with a simple workaround. To circumvent the poor analog display use a splitter before the cable enters the 6412, sending one cable to the 6412 for digital and HD recording. Send the remaining leg to an antenna input of your Display and let your TV's tuner and A/D converter do the work on the analog channels.

The weakness is in the D/A conversion performed in the DCT6412. The incoming analog channels must be converted to digital for the STB to record on it's internal HDD.

Enjoy the DCT6412 if that is the STB you receive. If you get the Scientific Atlanta 8300 you may be somewhat disappointed although it performs well it currently has no active firewire output to enable archiving on a DVHS recorder.

xvxvxvx

Username: Eaw

Post Number: 5
xvxvxvx-

You seem to know a great deal about this box - I recently had this installed by Comcast for my Sony 42WE655. Is there a setting I need to change on the STB for 4:3 and 16:9 views? For example, on local HD channels, the picture seems to be coming through in 4:3? Is this the way the channel is being broadcast or is this how the STB is displaying the picture? Is HD broadcast in both 4:3 and 16:9? Help!

Username: Eaw

To update last message-

I never received any maunal or literature on the box (Comcast left me a pamphlet on how to use the remote...), so I'm lost on how to modify the STB settings.

Thanks.

Anonymous

you HDTV should have various settings, and you should set this to 16:9

generally you can leave it there., and when the local channels are digital non-hi def (480p) it will only fill a portion of the screen, and when its true HD (720p/1080i) (many shows at night) the entire screen should fill

in addition you can try the "auto" setting to see how well that works

this can work well with Comcast which has about (13)ALL HI DEF) premium, semi-premium, and regular network channels all together in the 800 area

Erik in TN
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how to use the IEEE1394 ports on the dct6400 to output the signal to a computer or camcorder? I've tried two dv camcorders and could not get the video to come through on the camera to record it when i hooked the camera to the firewire port on the back of the dct6400. The camera's were both capable of inputting dv and the were configured correctly to do so.

I tried cycling through the dct6400's dv output modes like they recommend in the manual when hooking the IEEE1394 port to a TV. But still no picture on the camcorder. Also recorded on the camera just in case the signal was there but not displaying on the LCD for some reason but it did not record anything.

Erik in TN

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Erik,

The camcorder and PC are not HDCP compliant devices. You will not be able to record to any device that is non-compliant. Right now I am aware of D-VHS video recorders that are compliant but not any other recording devices.

xvxvxvx

Username: Loesch

Post Number: 1
I have a DCT6400 and have an annoying problem that I can't seem to find the solution to. I have the unit set up to automatically record a series of shows on Sat morning (Bass fishing). It comes on and records fine. However, and here is the problem. If I turn the TV on while the unit is recording, it is in MUTE mode with the word MUTE showing in white at the top center of the screen. If you hit the MUTE button on the remote, it turns on a 2nd MUTE in green at the bottom right. I can't seem to turn off the MUTE so I can listen to a different channel while it's recording. I have to stop the recording, which gives me my sound back and then start the recording again. Would appreciate some help.

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Never turn off the cable box, there is no need. The HDD is always recording the inputs whether the box is on or off. The additional power consuption while on can only be measured in microwatts so for all practical purposes it doesn't cost you any measurable amount of electricity to always leave the box on.

There is a way to program your remote to fix this mute problem but since you are with Comcast and I am with Cox (which does not have this little glitch) I do not know the fix and am too lazy too look it up right now. :-)

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Comcast's installer for the DCT6412 on 5/13 [comcast connecticut] told me that on 5/18 Comcast will be sending a digital signal to the boxes for the current analog channels 2-99.

the analogs signals really suck. We have fiber all along the street and then a coax run of about 400 feet from the street. The analog channels are truly horrible - the digital versions somewhat better [locals with network HD/ digital]. The HD into our Mitsubish 52" WD-52537 truly magnificent when in HD. Lots (all?) of pre-2003 movies are only 480i but the HD is really great.

Main problem with HD is getting the local stations to broadcast the HD versions of programs. Today, 5/15, the golf tourney was supposed to be in HD, but the HD network broadcast was NOT picked up by the local station. . .

network guy
Unregistered guest
The network did not broadcast today's golf tourney in HD. Hope that makes you feel a little better.

Anonymous

Robert Loesch

The mute problem you spoke of is easily corrected by changing the default mute on your remote. The remote control is set at the factory to control the TV volume in all modes (thus the green mute text from your TV rather than the white text which is from the cable box). You need to activate the mute feature on the remote for your cable box. The instructions are in the manual that came with the remote under "Changing Volume Lock".

Davekrr
Unregistered guest
TIVO vs MOTOROLA DVRs: I have both the Motorola HD DVR that Comcast provides AND an 80 hour standard Tivo. I love the fact that the Comcast Motorola can record in HiDef, and for that reason I still use it, but the Tivo is overwhelmingly superior in every other way. The Tivo is graceful and intuitive and easy to navigate through, including recording shows and full seasons and all the other functions you find yourself using with a DVR. The Motorola functionality is hamhanded and poorly configured --- the menus are not intuitive, and you find yourself maneuvering all over the place from menu to menu for 5 minutes just to get a simple thing done. Plus, the Tivo records by SHOW -- they search out when a given show is playing and records it no matter when it airs (so it catches those "airing on a special night - the Season Finale!" deals the networks always seem to do with their biggest shows). The Comcast Motorola only records TIMES (i.e. every Tuesday from 7P to 8P, no matter what show is on that time frame), so you miss all of the special season finales (and end up recording whatever junk they put in your shows' original time slot). That's just one of the differences --- there's dozens more, including maneuvering through a show you've already recorded, which Tivo is massively superior at doing --- and Tivo is far and above the best of the two in every single way except the hi def thing. In a nutshell, the Tivo provides a delightful, user-friendly experience every time I use it, while the Motorola is frustrating and irrational and barely usable. I will dump the Motorola the minute Tivo comes out with a HiDef unit that records broadcast or cable signals. But until then --- I do love that hi def picture, and I'll probably continue to go thru hell with the Comcast unit just to see it.

Peas
Unregistered guest
"The Comcast Motorola only records TIMES (i.e. every Tuesday from 7P to 8P, no matter what show is on that time frame), so you miss all of the special season finales."

It appears you need to read your owners manual. The Moto has every feature as the TIVO except wish lists. Please do not misinform other posters.

Peas

Username: Anonymoustexan

Has anyone, or does anyone know anything about upgrading the HARD DRIVE on the Motorola DCT6412 unit so that I can use a bigger hard drive and get more then 10 hours of HD recording? I am in the Dallas area, and really could use a unit that could record about 35 to 40 hours of HD programing. (A Full weeks worth for me) Since I travel alot, I really need a unit that can last a week without filling up!

Thanks

fx
Unregistered guest
Gary,

The new DCT-6412 series III is now being sent to cable companies. This new unit has a SARA output that "should" allow you to add a seperate HDD for additional recording space. If you have one of the original 6412's you cannot change out the HDD, besides the 6412 belongs to the cable company not to you.

xvxvxvx

Username: Anonymoustexan

Post Number: 2
FX - Increasing Hard Drive Space --

I have obtained 2 units, Legally & I own them. However I do not know if they are series 3 units or not. How can I tell?

fx
Unregistered guest
Gary,

Do you live in Canada? Otherwise I don't see how you can own your cable boxes legally. If you bought them on E-Bay and this is why you think you own them legally you are quite mistaken.

Anyway if they are a series III they will have an emblem on the front that has a big III attached. Plus there is no SARA port on the back of the previous models.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I want to show video from my digital camera onto my TV but my connection ports for the TV are all in the back. My Comcast digital cable box has an input video/audio port but I can't figure out how to have this display. Anyone no the answer to this problem?

fx
Unregistered guest
Yes David I have the answer but you will not like it. AS far as I know not one cable company in the US enables those inputs although the boxes are wired for them. Before you ask the answer is no you cannot do it yourslef, yes even if you are a rocket scientist working for NASA. It requires a firmware change only available from the cable company. Again no, you cannot make this change your self and even if you could the next (daily) update from your cable comapny would reflash the fimware and then it would not work again.

Looks like you need to crawl behind your TV. :-)

xvxvxvx

KC Masterpiece
Unregistered guest
Well xvxvxvx, you seem to be the resident expert on these cable boxes (thanks for all the answers), so maybe you can answer my question(s):

First, is the DCT6412 III from Comcast capable of sending a video signal on multiple outputs? For instance, am I able to broadcast the show that I'm watching on BOTH the HDMI output and the Component Video outputs? How about the HDMI along with the coax output?

Also, I have a Phillips DVD recorder that has Component Video inputs as well as outputs. When I run the Component Video from the Motorola DVR to the inputs on my DVD recorder, then send it to my TV, it appears that only non-hiDef channels will come through to the TV. Is there a reason that my DVD recorder would not be passing the hiDef signal on to the TV?

Thanks,
KC

Anonymous

Will a Motorola 6412 purchased through ebay work when connected to Shaw Cable in Manitoba?
Thanks

Anonymous

Will a Motorola 6412 purchased through ebay work when connected to Shaw Cable in Manitoba?
Thanks

Username: Kvisnack

Chicago, Illinois Cook

Does anyone know how much better of a picture I will get by going through the HDMI output vs. the Component video output. I just bought an M1 HDMI cord (200.00) but my 6200 does not have the output. Eveyone at Comcast does not know about the 6412 phase 3. Is it worth the wait and frustration.
Thanks

Username: Justfig

Maynardville, TN USA

I just got the 6412 Phase III and yes it has HMDI but not DVI. Haven't tried the HDMI output yet because the cables are so damn high! They're rediculously high! I've seen a few on the "net" for around $30.00, think these will do a good enough job? $200.00 for one cable?? Give me a break!

B-Ray
Unregistered guest
I just switched from component hookups to HDMI hookups on my 6412 Phase III and it will not work. I own a Samsung DLP and for some reason I get a message stating that the signal is too weak and not recognized. My cable worked fine with the component inputs so I am not really sure why the HDMI doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Maynardville, TN USA

Post Number: 9
OK. Got my HDMI cable from monoprice.com today and been playin' with it for about 3 hours now. This is one of the very cheap cables at $8.00. I talked a buddy into bringing over his $100+ Monster cable for comparision and I got to say, with my eyes there is absolutely NO difference! My friend reluctantly agreed. After all, he DID spend 10 times more so it was a bit harder to get him to admit it. Now, is the picture quality better enough to warrent a $100+ cable over component? Absolutely NOT! IMHO. Is it worth a $8.00 cable? Absolutely YES! The blacks are blacker (this is on my Sharp 26" Aquos) the contrast is sharper and the colors are brighter. And this is true on all of the siginals i.e. analog, digital and HD! BTW, I also tested with all the cables connected (s-video, component and HDMI) and with them connected single just to see if there was any change. There was not. So it doesn't seem to hurt PQ with all of them hooked up at the same time. But now that I know that HDMI is the best I can get I will unhook the others just to clean up the "rats nest"! Also, this is going through my Comcast 6412 series III DVR. Can't wait to get one of the new HD DVD players. Thinking about getting the Panasonic DVD-S77S. I've read many good reviews on it.

Anyway, hope this helps some of you out there, it just proved some things to me and I'm happy I didn't go overboard on a HDMI cable! Money saved to go into the S77S!!

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving and have by now walked off a bit of turkey?

JF

Maynardville, TN USA

Post Number: 10
Ray. If you have the 6412 4:3 override set to 480i that is the problem. Set it to 480p.

JF

fooviusfoo
Unregistered guest
For what it's worth, I've been playing with the Comcast 6412 series 3, and comparing it against my TiVo. The Comcast DVR does record HD, two programs at once, with great quality--very impressive. The software stinks compared to TiVo, and the experience of actually using the thing is incredibly frustrating. If only you could marry the visual quality and HD recording features with TiVo's user experience you'd have a great product.

The cable box also has a lot of future features that I could use *now* but cannot access, like video inputs, expandable external drive storage etc. Right now it'll only record 15 hours of HD programming (not enough!) and there's no expandability.

I've also found that the HDMI output is great, and you can get cables cheaply online--they work just fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us