DVI and HDMI DVD player choices for samsung HLN5065 DLP TV with DVI input

Username: Chmo27

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for advice in regards to a DVD purchase for my DLP monitor. I currently have a Samsung HLN5065 TV with DVI input. I also have mitsubishi DVD player (DD-6040). Should I buy a DVI output DVD player (possibly the samsung 841 or 941) or should I invest in a HDMI output DVD player? Samsung says a cable adapter is available for the conversion but I'm confused on the audio format. I thought HDMI incorporates digital audio into the connection. How would this effect my current fiber-optic audio cables with my Kenwood DD 5.1 receiver? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Username: Derosa

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 1
I have a Sammy HLN507. My present DVD player is a Momitsu V880 but I plan to bump that into my bedroom system where I just got a smaller HDTV and need to get a new DVD player for the Sammy. I want a player that upconverts with a DVI output. Many of the newer units now are HDMI. I do not understand the interest in HDMI. I don't listen to audio through my TV anyway, it all being routed via digital coax to my receiver. HDMI preserves both the video and audio data in the digital domain from the source to the display but I only care about the video data going to the Sammy because I don't use it's speakers anyway. Therefore my priority will be for a player with DVI. If the best player out there for the money happens to be HDMI only then so be it. I'll get an adapter for one end of my DVI cable.

Post Number: 2
I purchased the Sammy 841 from Best Buy yesterday. Well as this message board has indicated, the 841 isn't all that it's cracked up to be. First, the set up menuing was confusing. They were no clear directions as to how to configure it with a HD monitor. After about 40 minutes or so of fussing with it, I did manage to set the 1080i output. But and this is a big but, the PQ seems more distorted than my Mitsubishi progressive DVD player with Monster 3 component video cables. I flipped back and forth about 10 times will watching both Star Wars Episode 2 and the Matrix 2. I'm completely dissatisfied with this unit, as many others are on this board. Does anyone have suggestions as to a great DVI DVD player?

Username: Upatoi15

Post Number: 5
The Denon 1910 in my opinion is the best DVI player out there.

Post Number: 3
Lee - Do you own the 1910? Is there much noticable difference between component and DVI on the unit? The Sammy 841 I purchased didn't offer up much quality improvement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us