Tape takeup problem

Username: Jacksonc

Post Number: 1
Panasonic PV-9662 vcr. When tape is inserted, it plays for a second or two, then stops and ejects. Tape appears to move, but take up reel doesn't appear to work - tape throws a big loop before it ejects. Any ideas on source of problem and how to fix? Or recommendations on a basic VCR for movie-watching only? Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 575
Broken belt maybe. Will it rewind or fast forward?

Post Number: 2
When tape is inserted, it goes into Play mode for a few seconds, then Stop. Sometimes it even shuts off the power. If tape is inserted and you hit Stop quickly before it shuts off, then hit either FF or REW, it functions for a few seconds, then Stop.

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
When you say functions for a few seconds, does that mean the reels turn?

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
When you say functions for a few seconds, does that mean the reels turn?

Post Number: 3
The supply reel turns and tape runs through everything right up to the take up reel, but a loop sort of bunches up just in front of the take up reel because the take up reel does not turn. Then the machine stops, and sometimes the machine even turns off when it stops.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
In FF/REW what happens? Do both reels turn?

Unregistered guest
I have the exact same problem... and to answer David Massey's question "No, both reels do not turn." Hence the title of the forum. The supply reel spins as it should while the takeup reel does nothing and when the tape is initially inserted, as he already stated, it goes into autoplay and since only the supply reel is spinning the tape loops out and the VCR stops itself. Also, like he said if you press stop before it autoplays and prevent it from looping out yet you can then press either Rew or FF and again the only reel moving is the supply reel which functions as normal for a few seconds until the loop inside becomes so extremely long that again the VCR stops itself and shuts off again. Any suggestions as to what the problem is here and how it can be resolved?

rsteiner9
Unregistered guest
If anyone has any solutions please email me @ rsteiner9@gmail.com with subject VCR repair or something.

Silver Member

Post Number: 864
What brand is the VCR and how old is it?

rsteiner9
Unregistered guest
It's a jvc and only about 6 years old.

rsteiner9
Unregistered guest
no belts inside just motors and gears.

rsteiner9
Unregistered guest
I'll check back here at about 11:30pm (going by the Forum's timezone)

Thanks David at least for the quick response and expertise. (I read a lot of posts and you're all over the place in here... so thanks for taking the time to educate the masses, I know I'm at least grateful for your time and efforts.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 867
I've seen the main belt fall off on those JVCs before.

rsteiner9
Unregistered guest
I don't think there's a belt inside there... or if there is I'm not seeing it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 875
It's under the mechanical assembly
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us