Help with scaling DVD players + Plasma TVs

Username: Erapp100

Post Number: 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an older model Fujitsu 50" plasma(P50XHA10US). I just purchased the LG 418 DVD player hoping to take advantage of the 1080i upconversion. My fujitsu only has a DVI in (no hdmi) so I bought a HDMI->DVI cable. Alas I am unable to play the DVDs at anything other than 480. I now understand that there is an issue with some copy protection standard (HDCP?) but am unable to descipher from all of the forums I have read whether there is any way for me to take advantage of 1080 up converstion?

1) Some boards suggest using the component out instead of the DVI...if I do this will I gain the 1080 upconverted picture? If not I'll stick with my old DVD player

2) If I can view the upconverted picture with component out is that a significantly less desireable picture than DVI? If yes I basically have not other option anyway correct?

3) Again, if I CAN use the component out AND still get the upconverted picture can I run the component through my home theater preamp/switcher and still have the upconverted picture or do I have to go straight to the Monitor?

Knowledgable responsed only please. Educated guessed are appraciated but not needed.
Thanks in advance for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us