DLP rear projection or DLP/LCD front proector?

Username: Dimwitted_sucka

Post Number: 1
(sorry for the long post...)

I've been doing my research prior to buying my first big tv/home theatre (currently have a 20" crt, yikes!). started out in favour of DLP rear projection, then wanted front projector, and now i'm waffling between the two.

the room is small (11' by 11') and has some ambient light from the one large window (south facing but still doesn't get tons of light). i can buy a light-blocking blind for the window if necessary.

intended uses are 40% console games (mostly xbox), 40% dvds, 20% pc games/web surfing. i'll buy a new pc and audio system once i've got the video sorted out.

so then, my questions are:

1) for gaming, is there a difference between dlp and lcd front projectors? i've heard that i would want dlp because lcd can make fast moving images a bit blurry. (rainbow effect hasn't bothered me yet)

2) i've noticed a number of recommendations on these forums to keep a crt or something else for games and use the projector only for movies. that's not an option for me, so i'd like to hear from anyone who uses a front projector for games about how they find it (i drool at the thought of steel battalion online and on a 100" screen).

3) when researching rear projection screens, i've heard a number of comments about the video/audio synching issue and delays caused by the dlp chipset (mostly from samsung rear-pro dlp owners). is this a problem for front projectors as well? i play too many online games to have a .25 second delay in the video output!

4) i've seen a (sanyo?) projector that has a manual iris control that allows more light output in ambient conditions. is this a common feature for projectors and/or is there any other features that will also allow light output to be boosted enough

5) any other comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Anonymous

I am running a PT-AE700U PANASONIC front projector LCD using a 92 inch screen, basically for true hi def movies, hi def documentaries, and some NFL football games broadcaset in hi def

On the game issue. I don't think any one technology will work perfect, particularly if you are going to mega size screens. I've not used it for games, however it should work decently. CRT's are the easy choice of course but smaller in screen size.

On the movie issue - the AE700U looks excellent with DVD's but of course far better with true hi def 720p movies which I often record onto a Comcast provided Motorola DVR (hard drive-hi def) for replay later. Note Toshiba just announced the new hi def DVD players will be coming this fall, so DVD hi def will be everywhere soon and the demand for mega screen front projector pictures will move up even higher

Sunlight of course has to blocked to a large extent on Front Projectors and even most rear projectors LCD's/DLP etc, however for the AE700U you can put lamps on in the room for reading etc and still have a very bright picture. The AE700 is in fact exceptionally bright. There is some mis-information about front projectors (based on older units) claiming they need totally dark rooms, this simply is not true on these new generations with AE700U capability. We got 1400 watts of light power in the room the projector is located, and we can turn 400 watts on, with hardly any degradation in picture brightness

Given the price, now down to approx $2100 on this unit and given the fact that front projectors are far more flexible, w/o being large heavyweight pieces of furniture etc - I think many more people will soon be using them.

see article:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae700.htm

Username: Dimwitted_sucka

Post Number: 2
thanks for the comments. read the review and that looks like a pretty nice product at that price point.

unfortunately, have now looked again at the (small) room that i had projector dreams for and realize that it would be very difficult to get a 90" picture on any of the walls and have the seating properly placed. (sigh)...think i'm going to have go for a rear-projecttion model for space considerations (which hurts, because i could really see loving xbox at 90"!)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us