Help... Home Videos onto DVD?

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 71
I would like to put all our home videos (approx 35 hrs worth) onto DVD so viewing will be easier then hooking our cam to the TV plus it would act as a back up to our original tapes. All videos were shot with a Sony Hi 8mm camcorder, it is not digital so rca analog connections will be a must. Would it be smarter to get a good DVD RW for our computer and upgrade the video card to accept these connections or would it be better to buy a standalone DVD RW. Also please inform on this double layer stuff I've been seeing in my new search. I am not up on the newest or even present day DVD recorders, my computer is 3 years old and only had a DVD drive and CDRW drive. Any help and info would be GREATLY appreciated...

Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect a dvd recorder to a tv that has a dvd player and vcr player the only connections to it are in the front, there is no way to get back to the tv can you tell me what I need to do this I am trying to put vhs vacations on dvd and just cannot not get it going

Username: Ender3rd

Post Number: 2
Moving my 8mm home tapes to DVD was one of my motives for picking up the Panasonic E85H recorder. It was a breeze to do this as the E85H has front panel jacks for patching a camcorder or whatever into it. I plugged my Sony 8mm camera into the front patch panel (rca analog), played the tape on my camcorder, and recorded it to the Hard Drive. I edited it as needed there, then burned it to DVD-R media and it came out great. No degradation in picture or sound, looks excellent. The only pain of course is that the transfer from the camera to the hard drive is done in real time, but I just set it up, let it run, and wandered in when it was finished. It is a no-brainer process and since my old Sony VCR was dying a slow death it seemed like a good choice. Even my wife likes being able to program her favorite shows with the one click TV-Guide menu (cough cough, usually she gets it right...). I did the capture card thing and found it pretty annoying as far a getting predictable results.

Good luck,

Ender
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us