Extended Warranties and Lamps/Bulbs

Username: Toona

Post Number: 4
I thought I would try to get people together to make a list of extended warranties that people know of that DO offer lamp/bulb replacement for rear projection TV's.

So far, I know that I have heard the Best Buy one does (not sure who supports that warranty...maybe someone else can chime in).

Let me (and others) know what you guys have been able to purchase!

gabereyes
Unregistered guest
Circuit City DOES cover the bulb as many times as it will go out within the warranty time.

and also will cover perfermance of the tv which means if the colors or brightness are not right they will fix it and if they can not fix it you will get full in store credit for the tv's msrp.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Customer Priorty Service (CPS), a Phillips extended warranty service will replace 1 lamp during their warranty period. Currently it's a $200 value for a $300 five year warranty.

more FYI
Unregistered guest
Sony's Extended Service Plan covers bulbs for the entire period of the plan you select. Link is here...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExt endedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Consumer%20Electronics

Hope this Helps...

Username: Jagfan

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 5
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Sony ES plan which is undewritten by Service Net?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 351
Dont worry about lamps and bulbs. Do any of you know anybody first hand who have had lamps go out in the first 5 years?? If you have problems with your tv, it will likely be while it's still under warranty because you bought a 'lemon'......not because of the TVs design.

These are designed to last at least 10 years, and you should ignore the salesmans pitch for the service contract. Servic contracts are pure profit, and a waste of money for the consumer. Heck, if you're going to throw money away, send me the $400, and I'll replace your bulb if it burns out within 5 years.(void if under factory warranty, and all other fine print)

Thanks

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Paul,

You are dead wrong, my man!

In any DLP, no lamp is rated to last more than 8000 hours.
Fading can happen any time after 6000 hours.
My use is on the heavy side at 17.2 hours avg. per day.
For my situation, that's about 11 to 15 months.
I've already had one replaced.
I expect to get far more than 10 years from my DLP set.
I'm not sure where you got that number.
Lamp prices haven't dropped yet, but I'm good for 5 more years thanks to my extended warranty.

You will remember this post when you buy your first lamp out of warranty in about 18 months or sooner!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 378
I didnt like DLPs and bought a CRT instead because I preferred the CRT picture.

I guess if you watch 17.2hrs a day, you'll get your moneys worth out of your DLP service contract.

When I give my (still working)tv away in 7-10 years, I'll be ready for something new. The funny thing is that my next one probably will be a DLP, only it will be a projector.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Same here!

If they don't put the 3 chip prism module (no color wheel) in rear projection DLP's in the next five years, I will move mine to the bedroom for less hours of use and get a front projection with prism technology for the den.

Steven A. Smith
Unregistered guest
Well I've had a dlp tv now for 3 years that I got from best buy and I bought the
service contract for 2 reasons.

One as other peole have said the bulb replacement is expensive and my contract covered it!

Two you have to deal with the salesmen, when they ask about the contract you say
well if the tv was a little cheaper I surely would but I'm allready streched!
They go talk to there boss and come back with a price of half now on the plan!
So I paid $150 for my plan and have had 2 bulb replacements!
While warrenties on some things are a scam and not worth it, some are worth it.
You just have to decide if your product justifies the warrenty, and on tv's that need
replacement bulbs it's worth it and if you get it at the right price.

Not all tv's need the bulb replacement so do your homework and see how long your's
is going to last if your big screen uses one!

Again it's not a 1 size fits all situation, some warrenties on some products are worth it!
While others are just money makers for the company selling them!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us