Please help me choose a DLP?

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
All,

Please help me decide between the RCA HD50LPW162, LG RU-44SZ51D, JVC HD52Z575, Samsung HLP4663, or Mitsubishi WD-52525

I was pretty much set on the Samsung HLP4663 until I read about the 3 lights of death and audio sync issues. I will use surround sound so I am scared. Do all these sets have these issues? I know my list is large but I am more confused then ever.

Please help.

Mike

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
Mike, I purchased the Mitsubishi 52725 and have been real happy with it. I have not had any issues with the tv except the audio synch issues and I don't believe that is a fault of the tv. Most of these issues are from the cable company. Apparently, the problems arise with the signal I'm getting or with the HD DVR that I rent from the cable company. I say this because when I watch a DVD I never have any sync problems and when I watch the analog channels I do not have any lip synch problems. The only time I have any problems occur when I watch HD channels and it is not all the time, it only happens occassionally. Most of my problems occur when I watch a show that was recorded on my DVR/PVR. I think that as the HD technology matures these issues will disappear.

My own read regarding the tv's that you mention is that you will find positive and negative reviews on all of these sets. That said, I found more positive reviews on the Mits set than all of the others. I went with the 52725 because of the glare issue with the 52525. The 52725 still has glare issues but less than the 525. Again, my own advice is that the glare is not any greater than I had with my 36" tube set, so if the glare of your current tube set doesn't bother you probably will be happy with the Mits. If the glare is a problem you may want to consider one of the other sets or take the front screen of the Mits off. However, the sales person at Tweeters pointed out that although the front screen the Mits set comes and behind it you will find the same matt screen that is on the Samsung, he recommends keeping it on because if the matt screen is damaged it costs $1000 dollars to replance and if the Mits screen that covers the matt screen is damaged it only costs $200 to replace. So, I have decided to keep the screen in place.

Hope that this helps. If you have any questions email me at wjames3@cox.net

Regards,

Bill

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
Some more info...

Viewing distance about 10ft
Max viewing angle 35 degrees

I will use a Monster Cable Powerbar and only the best connections, HDMI or DVI for HD Reciver and Component audio for receiver. HDMI or DVI for DVD Player (prog scan or 720 up convert)

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
bump

Anonymous

Out of the ones you mentioned, the top performers are the RCA and the Mits. Toshiba has the 44NHM84, which is almost identical to the LG you mentioned, except it has the HD2+ chip which creates a sharper picture. You should also consider the panasonic pt50dl54.

So, I'd consider the RCA, the Mits, the panasonic, and the toshiba 44HNM84.

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
It seems that the toshiba 44HNM84 and panasonic pt50dl54 have the audio on the side with I do not like.

It looks like the RCA HD50LPW162 will be my best choice. BB has an open box one for $2099 without remote. anyone think thats a good deal? It has the HD2+ chip.

Mike

Anonymous

That is an outstanding deal on the RCA. I would jump on it!! Just make sure they still give you a 30 day return policy and the full mfg warranty.

BTW, the toshiba 44" does not have the side speakers. The 46" and larger are the ones with the side speakers.

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
Wow... I like the Toshiba 44HNM84. I can not find it at Best Buy though?

Anonymous

It's a very nice set, but I don't think best buy carries it. It's sold through specialty retailers through some wholesale buying consortium or something like that. It's made by LG for toshiba.

It's more readily available in canada than in the US for some reason, and the toshiba US site doesn't even list it. It can be found on toshiba's canada site though.

For the price you're getting on the RCA though, I'd jump on it. Maybe RCA will even send you the remote if you call and tell them how you bought it. If not, you can probably pick up a replacement for a few bucks through a remote reseller.

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
I just found out that ABC Warehouse carries the Toshiba 44HNM84. I am going to go see it in person now.

HDClueless
Unregistered guest
I have seen these TV side by side.
My opinion is that I would
not go with the Toshiba 46/52HM.
The PQ is just not there.
(they are very inexpensive, though).

My highest choice would be the Misubishi 52575.
IMHO, the glare problem is overstated.
My second choice would be the Panasonic one.
I really do not care for the Samsung hi-tech
pedestal look (but I guess they have other
non-pedestal dlp). However, in term of PQ, Mitsu
PQ still seems to be better. Of cource, Mitsu
is head and shoulder more expensive.

The only other thing I can add is that after
looking at all the dlps, lcd, and the old CRT
RPTV, I am still not convinced that the DLP is
the route to go.

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
Wow the Toshiba 44HNM84 is gorgeous... I think I have made up my mind. It is not too big, has the best chip available and is by far one of the cheapest dlp's out there. I got a quote for $2049. Let me know if anyone thinks I may be making a bad decision. I plan to pass on the warranty.

Barry K
Unregistered guest
I purchased the HD61LPW162 from best buy. It is to be delivered on Monday Jan 24... I CANT WAIT. I went to BB and compared it visually to Mitsu, TOshiba (which was my original choice) and Samsung. The menu options on RCA are THE BEST. Built in Help and everything.... Pic is SHARP... only one better (to me, standing there in the store... for over an hour) was the JVC D-ILA... but I cant risk big buxxx on such new technology... You wont find any bad reviews on the RCA.

By the way, regarding your remote... if you happen to purchase an extended warranty (I recommend it) you can claim the remote under that and get a new one.... you can probably claim it under the RCA warranty and get one too.

BarryK
Unregistered guest
By the way.... the toshiba I was originally going to buy was either going to be the 52 or 62 HM84... The pic seemed distorted to me.... as fast moving graphics would scroll by from left to right.. they appeared "wavy" the TVs around it did not have such distortion for the SAME EXACT graphics.... I watched several time to be sure. Not sure what that was about... but I almost made the purchase till I noticed that. My wife noticed the RCA.... after looking at it (and I didnt even want to look at an old American brand)I was hooked. The only thing I dont like is the bottom mounted Speakers... I'd rather them be on the side so they dont cause the TV to stand so tall... I have 5 windows that all sit 48" up from the floor... with a "low" (23") TV stand, the TV will till top out at about 70"... and block 3 of the 5 windows... shoulda thought about that when we built the house!

MikeK
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know of a retail chain or individual store in New England, ideally MA that carries the Toshiba 44NHM84. It looks ideal for my space constraints with the bottom speaker setup (fits in the ent. armoire the wife refuses to part with or relocate) & price is reasonable compared to flat panels. Reviews seem pretty good but I would prefer to see the thing in person before paying $2500+ w/shipping to get it.

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
Mike K,

The only people in the US that carry the Toshiba 44NHM84 belong to NATM. Check out this link http://www.natmcorp.com/members/ There are 13 members, so take a look and see if any are close. I got lucky and it is a 5 min drive to ABC Warehouse... I still haven't bought the TV yet. I may wait.

p taylor
Unregistered guest
I just bought the JVC D-ILA and it was had the best picture in best buy to me the only issues i have is that if you have the volume down all the way the fan in the back is a little loud. and even though it is new technology i bought the psp and if it goes out i can get it fixed or replaced for free. The best buy rep told me that I should be able to extend the 4 yr warrenty when it expies. so I should be covered till it dies

Username: Tevans

Houston, Tx

Post Number: 3
Bought Mits 52525 from BB for $2649.00. Very happy, but I am going to buy the Diamond screen for the 825 from Mits for $320.00 for the glare. Still total a good price below $3000.00. I did not think the extra $$$$ for the 825 was worth what you would get.

Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 2
3 YEARS NO INTEREST THROUGH MITSUBISHI!!!!!!

That's part of the reason I purchased a 52725 last week at Ultimate Electronics instead of a competing brand. I got an open box for $2700. They had them on sale new for $3099. What a deal, and the TV is incredible. The fan is a little on the loud side, but not too bad. Picture quality is incredible with lots of settings to adjust. Purchase the Video Essentials DVD so you can get your TV set right....it's worth it. All TV's come set from the factory to look good on the sales floor....it's not set right for your home.

Unfortunatly I'm one of the few people that can see the rainbow effect occasionally on DLP sets. I'm trying to decide if I'll stay with DLP or switch to old school CRT. Most people never see the "rainbow effect".

Murray Jacobs
Unregistered guest
We have just purchased a Toshiba 44NHM84 and it will be delivered in a few weeks. We have been looking for a long time now and think that we have made a good decision. Priced at $2499.99 Canadian (stand included) it seems to be the best value and fits into the restricted space we have. Hope that our choice will be a good one since we plan to have it for many years.

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
Spring is coming and I now have less of an itch to get one of these... I may jump on a dlp if the price is right, but as on now I am going to wait as long as possible. These things can only get cheaper and better. After all my research... if I was to buy now it would be the Toshiba 44NHM84.

Bronze Member
Username: Sause

Post Number: 19
Though I have not seen the 44" Tosh. out of the sizes i saw (at Best Buy) the tosh. was the worst, the samsung and mits are the best, followed by the rca.

Teejayjay
Unregistered guest
I've got the Tosh 44" dlp and am concerned with the distortion too (not sure if I'm just really picky?). Am considering bringing it back to BB, but hope to hear back if it's just the limitations of a non-HD satellite. Would I be better off with a Sony 42 LCD at roughly the same price? The BB rep didn't think so...said the only good thing about it was the Sony name (must have had a Toshiba spif program on that weekend). HELP!

FYI
Unregistered guest
Tee,

How close are you to the set? Standard def looks pretty bad on anything from 6-8 feet. It's better from 10-12 feet. That HD picture will spoil ya too! Awesome, isn't it?

Jim777
Unregistered guest
Tee:

I've got the Toshiba 52HM94 for several weeks and am quite happy with it. HD broadcasts are extremely good, some are virtually 3 dimentional and most digital channels are very clear. I have spent time trying to improve SD channels and they are now very good, although not as good as the digital. Even then there are still good SD channels and not so good. You first need to properly calibrate the set which usually means reducing the contrast and sharpness levels for the SD channels. Each set is different. BB should have a calibration CD you can use to help do this, but I have found that my own trial and error has provided better results and has made a significant improvement in the SD channels. I have also used a Mororola Signal booster to enhance my Cablevision signal with good results on SD. You may also try split the signal and bypass your cable box for the SD channels which can also help. And as mentioned, don't sit too close, try to get at least 10 feet away. If your too close to any projection TV, SD will be blurry.

Teejayjay
Unregistered guest
Calibration CD huh? Never heard about it. I've been playing with the sharpness, contract, tint, etc., but find they reset every time I power off. Is there a way to lock them in? Sounds like I need to go back and get a few tips fromthe guy at BB who sold it to me...make him earn his commission! Thanks.

Username: Duke

Post Number: 2
ALL,
I'm in the same boat as Mike. I'm torn between the New SONY KDF-60XS955 and Mitsubishi WD62725. I realize there LCD vs DLP, however I'm looking for opinions to sway me one way or another.

Anonymous

LCD is proven to work great, and Sony a proven company longer term

With Sony LCD you got strength in numbers

FYI
Unregistered guest
DLP is Digital "Light" Processing, not liquid crystals, which have a "limited lifetime" of producing artificial colors. Sonys have been proven to fail just like all other LCD brands.

With Sony LCD you have days that are numbered.

Unregistered guest
i need a big TV-- How does the 52" Tosh compare? which 1 is the best for my big buck? How many HDMI output's do i need? 1 tosh has 2, & another has 1,What should i look for? is the cinema series better & or necessary? what's the difference. I also want to play my sony memory stick on the tv, the tosh hm84 does not play that, what are my options? The better tosh, xm94 has the memory stick & even has an internal hdtv converter, is that necessary? cuz i will have a cable system producing that, is that redundant?

Also, which is better satellite or digital cable for HDTV viewing?

Finally, if anyone has calibrated the tosh 52, please give details

Unregistered guest
i need a big TV-- How does the 52" Tosh compare? which 1 is the best for my big buck? How many HDMI output's do i need? 1 tosh has 2, & another has 1,What should i look for? is the cinema series better & or necessary? what's the difference. I also want to play my sony memory stick on the tv, the tosh hm84 does not play that, what are my options? The better tosh, xm94 has the memory stick player option & even has an internal hdtv converter, is that necessary? cuz i will have a cable system producing that, is that redundant & wasteful?

Also, which is better satellite or digital cable for HDTV viewing?

Finally, if anyone has calibrated the tosh 52, please give details

ThomasW
Unregistered guest
I bought the tosh 62hm84 (a little larger then the others discussed here) and couldn't be more satisfied. I had purchased a DLP Mits from Big Screens, but found the daytime viewing unbareable. I got a refund and didn't look back...

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 78
ThomasW

Couldn't you have just taken the protective screen off of the Mitsu to eliminate the glare? Would of been a lot easier than trading for a different TV.

I have the Mitsu 52725 which is better than the 525 for glare, but it still has some. With kids in the house a screen protector is pretty important.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us