Is This True?

Bronze Member
Username: Nachoman91

Cincinnati, OH USA

Post Number: 13
HD novice here and if this question has been asked before I sincerely apologize.

A firend told me that ALL channels will be in high definition by May 2006. Is that true?

digimon
Unregistered guest
Sadly, no. The original mandate was to have all stations converted to digital by December 31, 2006. Then, the analog spectrum would be auctioned off and extra analog spectrum given to first responders (police, fire, etc). Even if this did happen, there is absolutely no requirement that ANY station broadcast in high definition. I have heard your friend's statement from CC, BB, Sears, and others. Not making any political statement, but Bush has decided not to subsidize digital to analog converters for low income families when the changeover occurs. This, among other reasons, has pushed the deadline to at least 2010. Remember, there is no requirement for hi def. The stations can choose any format they desire. Only competition from other stations will make them broadcast hi def.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 111
Yes, no, maybe...

The FCC has been trying to figure out a way to accelerate the switch-over to digital TV so it can reclaim the frequencies used by broadcasters and sell them to commercial wireless services for billions of dollars.

As it stands now, broadcasters have to return their analog airwaves by the end of 2006, or when 85% of U.S. households can receive digital TV signals, whichever comes later. Given that loophole, the transition may NEVER happen, so don't hold your breath...

The expectations are, analog TV signals will be broadcast until at least 2009. That's when they think digital TV's will be in 85% of households, judging by current sales figures.

Having said that, the FCC could come up with a whole new set of proposals tomorrow, and things could change overnight, so it's anybody's guess...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us