HDTV Over The Air

Username: Retiredjetp

Post Number: 10
Holly Cow Batman.

Seriously, I just learned today from a sales rep at Circuit City that if I purchase a HDTV receiver/tuner, I can connect it to my HD Ready TV and receive all the HD channels broadcast in my area free. WOW. Is this correct? Why the heck am I paying for cable if this is in fact true.

Chuck

Bronze Member
Username: Kevin_eastman

Post Number: 17
Hang on a minute Robin.

Where do you live? Local hd offerings vary greatly from town to town. Also you will still have to pay for any non-local hd programming like espn, hbo hd, showtime hd, hdnet etc..
Also you will need a antenna to recieve these channels. Go to www.antennaweb.org for a listing of hd channels broadcast in your area, their distance from you and their direction (N,S,E,W).
BTW. It is worth the effort in my opinion. You will love it.
ps. What kind of tv do you have?
........kevin

Bronze Member
Username: Retiredjetp

Post Number: 11
Open the cave Batman..

Hi Kevin,

>>Where do you live?<<
Virginia Beach,VA.

>>What kind of tv do you have? <<
Santa brought a new Panasonic 32inch(CT-32HXC14) HD Ready / BBE high def stereo with a gazillion connectors on the back.

I went to the link you posted and I guess I'm very lucky. There are 8 digitally broadcast over the air stations in my area and they are all listed in yellow. I guess that means I might be able to get away with a simple indoor antenna. What do you think?

I have COX cable, but the only local channel they carry in HD is CBS. There are many sporting events broadcast on FOX and ABC which are over the air in this area.

Chuck

Bronze Member
Username: Kevin_eastman

Post Number: 18
aallffRREEDD................

Hi Chuck,

1. __What do I think?_____

I think with your username you can afford better advice than I can give.
Having said that I'm not ready to advise indoor or outdoor. I went with the biggest outdoor I could get because I'm naturally pessimistic about these such things. From what I read you are most likely a candidate for an indoor.

2.__There are 8 digitally broadcast channels in my area__

Be careful. Digital doesn't neccesarily mean HD. My dish network digital signal is no where near their HD signal or the OTA HD signal. This is a common mistake and a more common sales pitch meant to confuse.

3.__Gazillion connectors__

I hope you are using a few of these connectors for surround. It would be a shame to have a HD picture and not 5.1 surround.

Have Fun..........kevin

Unregistered guest
Chuck,

I live in Hampton so I'm not too far from you and yes we do get many more local channels broadcast in HD. I got my antenna and receiver before the start of football season and I've really enjoyed it. CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, UPN and PBS all broadcast some HD programming. I watched Enterprise last night on UPN in HD and it was great. I think I need a bigger antenna though because sometimes I get pixelated reception.

Anonymous

Lonnie,
What type of antenna do you have, is it amplified?

Chuck

Anonymous

What type of antenna do you have, is it amplified ?
Chuck

Still learning
Unregistered guest
Any Radio Shack UHF antenna will work nicely! Especially if it's up high. Mine's in the attic hanging on a rafter.

Username: Ppojeda

San Juan, PR Puerto Rico

Post Number: 2
Hi guys! Sorry to butt into the conversation. I have Dish Network, plus, I set up an antenna to pick up the local HD channels in my area. Since it was a directional one, I had to fiddle around with it to point it to the strongest signal. Dish receiver 811 (which is the one I have) has this tone whose pitch goes higher as the sugnal is stronger. I have a 2 story house, so as I'm up on the roof, I can't hear the speakers in my home theater down in the basement. A good idea is to call yourself from your home phoe to your cell phone, and leave your phone in the room in front of the speakers. Then take your cell phone up to the roof and listen for the highest pitch tone while you move your antenna.

Stephen McKinnell
Unregistered guest
hi kevin and all others

get the best of both worlds

dish network sales a satatlite reciever that
recieves both sat signals and off air or over air.
i live in Hamilton Ontario Canada and can get
10 digital channels.
some from Buffalo NY , Erie Pa and Toronto ONT.
most come in 5.1 doly digital.

steve

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 153
Luckily, I live in a large metro area and can receive all of my local channel HD programming:-)
When you add the local channel programming, there is a lot of quality programming available.

Heck, I even watched my first NASCAR race(Daytona) in ages simply because it was in HD. Wow......watching that race in HD and in 7 channel surround mode was a real treat, not to mention the exciting finish.

I feel bad for those who live out in the 'sticks' because they're going to be S.O.L.

Username: Formmb

Post Number: 5
Paul,

I watched the Daytona 500 from start to finish also. I probably have never done that with an auto race. It looked great! I have a Panasonic Surround Sound and it the sound was very good also.

I live in the Philly area and am wondering if anyone has heard if Comcast will be adding more HD channels in the near future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us