Archive through December 28, 2004

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 341
MH-
S-video is a big step below component cables. You should only use it if you have too. It is better than composite (RCA) cables though. Connects go like this:
DVI/HDMI- best
Component- very good
S-video- good
composite (RCA)-OK
coax- worst

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 342
Stan-

Nice post. It is good to hear that JVC treats their customers right!!

HM
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch -- Thank you

Anonymous

Stan Jordan,

Can I ask how much you got the tv for at brandsmart? That's where I'm considering getting mine.

Username: Pbauer888

Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the 61" JVC and it has an outstanding picture for HD. This is truly the way to watch football and basketball! I just want to thank all of you who have posted information on this product. Your opinions and input definitely influenced my decision to buy this TV. I specifically want to thank Mr. Lynch for his postings. JVC should pay you a commission, for I am sure I am not the only one who has been influenced by your postings.

One concern I have, though, is my TV was produced in July. Everything seems OK out of the box. Everything is functional with no "green glow". I'm not sure why Best Buy still had a TV from July, although here in Albuquerque the TV is not that common. No other stores carried the 61".

Again thanks to everyone and especially you, Mr. Lynch. I may take you up on the service manual offer if it is still open.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 344
PBauer888-

Thanks for the kind words. I had a hell of a time picking a new TV, and after all the research I did I thought it would be helpful to post my findings and hopefully help people make an informed decision.

I have the service manual, parts list, my settings, invoice ($2670), and many pix on my PC. If anyone is interested in anything, just post your email or send me a private massage.

I can't believe how many people are buy the JVC, it is good to see there a lot of smart people out there.

Username: Pbauer888

Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Post Number: 2
The JVC has less negatives about it than its competition. Samsung DLP, though popular, has serious quality issues. Mits DLP has a great picture, but too much glare. Hitachi LCD still has screen door effect and is not as bright and vivid as the JVC. The only potential negative on JVC is that they are the only ones doing the LCOS at a reasonable price (See Mits at $15,000).

I did a lot of looking and many stores can throw you off because their settings are all wrong. For anyone out there contemplating a purchase, rely on technical reviews and threads like this first.

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 12
PBauer888

I would agree with you about reading reviews, etc. My local best buy has the JVC on display and it looks horrible. I can only describe it as verticle discolored bands every inch or so running down the screen.

Unfortunately, since the product is relatively new, there are not too many reviews out there yet. Many of the reviews I have read have been unfavorable becuase they were on pre-production models (Cnet), etc. I think as more professional reviews come in, we will start to see some more positive comments as well.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 345
The 2 newest magazine reviews I've seen are in the December issue of "The Perfect Vision", and the brand new issue of "Sound and Vision".

The perfect Vision review was very well written, and they absolutely love the JVC. If you an find of copy of it, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

Username: Davidm

Miami, FL

Post Number: 3
I found the DVE for $16.48 incuding shipping at deepdiscountdvd.com.

I have my 61" JVC for a couple of weeks now and have been loving the picture. In the last couple of days I have noticed a lot of noise on the whites. It is very distracting. Has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone recommend an adjustment for it. I am waiting for the DVE and have not adjusted the TV at all yet. Still with settings out of the box.

Username: Chrisinyork

Post Number: 5
I am seriously considering purchasing the JVC 52Z575 or 585. I have two small children at home (4 years and 2 years old). I am concerned about our sturdy this TV is, and whether or not its designed to take some abuse like hitting the TV screen, etc. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Professional reviews I have come across to date (please feel free to add more):

http://www.hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1204jvc/index.html

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/1204jvc/index.html

http://www.pcworld.com/digitalworld/article/0,aid,118386,pg,1,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_HD_52Z575/4505-6484_7-30925113-2.html?tag=top

Username: Zoob

Post Number: 4
The 1-week review:

SD content on SD broadcasts:
Detail: grainy (noisy), similar to watching a signal from a good 'ole roof antenna with a mediocre reception.
Color: reds and greens stand out, colors can sometimes look like an old black & white movie that's been colorized - almost pastel-like. In scenes with "basic" colors (red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, turqouise) that are close to the colors of NTSC color bars, these colors seem to stand out while other colors seem to wash out, tend towards gray. I think I know exactly what the reviewer (guide to home theater) was talking about with "electric green": to me, I see it with medium greens tending towards the bright green of an "EXIT" sign.
Overall: lower quality than on my 1990 JVC AV3179S tube set.

SD content on HD broadcasts:
Detail: very good
Color: reds and greens stand out, other colors are more natural than SD on SD broadcasts.
Overall: higher quality than on my 1990 JVC AV3179S tube set (SD from SD broadcasts). I'm very surprised at how much better SD on HD is over SD on SD.

DVD content:
Detail and color: very similar to SD on HD; reds and greens still stand out.
Overall: Good; but I wish it were better - maybe a newer/better DVD player will make a significant difference.

HD content:
Detail: excellent
Color: reds and greens still stand out; but not as much as with other content. Skin tones can vary from orange to absolutely lifelike; however, in most cases, I notice rosy cheeks/lips and some very light greenish around eyes. Seems better than with SD on HD content though.
Overall: Very good. With the red/green toned down, maybe 10%?, it should be spot-on! The two football games on ESPN over the weekend in HD were fabulous; better than the Seahawks/Jets game on Fox.

Color aberration: from how I've seen it described, my set doesn't have it - no green blobs; whites look very uniform

Fan noise: I can hear it during quieter passages; but I don't find it annoying. It's just a tad louder than an Xbox.

Remote: sometimes when I want to move the cursor up/down one, it goes up/down two.

Really the only thing I'd like changed are the reds/greens. I'll try to get some pics.

Details and settings:

HD52Z585, November build

TV settings:
Tint: 0
Color: 0
Picture: 0
Brightness: 0
Detail: 0
Color Temp: Low
Digital Noise Correction: Low
Color Management: off
Dynamic Gamma: off

TV source: Comcast digital cable with HDTV support through Motorola DCT6412 dual tuner DVR cable receiver.
Connection type: component
Settings: TV Type: 16x9; YPbPr Output: 720p; 4:3 Override: OFF (let the TV do the de-interlacing for SD broadcasts)
Notes: I have an HDMI-DVI cable on its way - will see if it shows any difference

DVD source: Toshiba SD-5700
Connection type: component
Notes: Am considering getting a new one and curious about any comparisons between units that support HDMI/DVI.

Anonymous

Thanks all for input. I am a programmer/scientist and working in front of monitors all the time I have problems with eye strain due to "flicker" (60hz lower EM radiation). This radiation, in layman's terms is the set turning off and on 60 or so times a second as with ALL cathode ray tube (CRT) sets, some LCOS and DLP sets though DLP is about 20% or less than a CRT and LCOS even less and the JVC HD-ILA (61") even less. Such radiation is always cumulative to the eyes.

However! Please note that for computer workings that the J-ILA 60" I tested has not worked for a computer hookup through the HDMI cable ...YET. Well actually, If you boot up XP Home in "SAFE" mode it will actually detect it and work somewhat with artifacts present. Tech support at JVC does not recomend it and say the set is not made for computer and the picture reproduction, even with stills is unpredictable due to scaling tech used in the set.

The picture with the JVC HD-ILA is far better with respect to color and stability with less eyestrain than the 61" Samsung I tried so, not to be thwarted quickly I continued testing with various graphics cards on the JVC HD-ILA to work with the computer. None of them worked well so far with the DVI output jacks on the cards. Trying the three chord component hookup, which involves an analog to digital conversion met with success with MAJOR tweaking when I used the Nvidia FX5700 graphics card with the component "breakout" feature.

With much assistance with Nvidia's tech support to set up the card (35 minutes) on the 60" HD61Z575 HD-ILA I was able to get it up and workable on the component outs with the following settings (looks nice!):

ON THE TV SET:
TINT: 0
COLOR: -12
PICTURE +21
BRIGHT: +10
DETAIL: +10
COLOR TEMP: HIGH
ALL FILTERS ON PAGE 2 OF MENUE OFF FOR STARTS,

ON COMPUTER(PRESARIO SR1212NX, ATHLON 2.8 G FRO RADIO SHACK, USING XP HOME):
SET DESKTOP RESOLUTION TO 1280 X 720,
COLOR 32 BIT.
TEXT (IMPORTANT!):
CUSTOM DPI SETTING 144 OR DPI 15%,
ICON FONTS: ARIAL BLACK, SIZE 9 OR BIGGER,
ICON SIZE: 80,
ICON SPACING: HORIZONTAL 80, VERT.: 48,

ON GRAPHICS CARD:

BRIGHTNESS: 100%,
CONTRAST: 102%,
GAMMA: 0.73%,
IMAGE SHARPENING: 1/4 UP FROM BOTTOM (2nd NOTCH),
DIGITAL VIBRANCE: 1/8 UP FROM BOTTOM (1/2 WAY BETWEEN 1st & 2nd NOTCH),
(NOTE: SAVE SETTINGS IN THIS BEFORE CLOSING!)

ANY VARIANCE IN THIS SETUP THROWS IT OFF AND THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR REGULAR TV VIEWING WITHOUT FURTHER TWEAKING. SAMSUNG IS DESIGNED FOR COMPUTER USE AND GETS BETTER LINE QUALITY FOR COMPUTER USE BUT THE JVC HD-ILA IS FAR BETTER IN TERMS OF COLOR AND OVERALL PICTURE REPRODUCTION IN STILLS AND VIDEO AND WITH A 61" INCH SCREEN THE LINE QUALITY PROBLEM FALLS OFF SITTING AT 4 TO 5 FEET AND FURTHER OUT FROM THE SET.
SET TEXT SIZE TO "LARGER" ON EXPLORER ON THE NET. SOME SMALL TEXT IS A PROBLEM BUT CAN BE MAGNIFIED WITHIN XP, OVERALL THE QUALITY OF SOME TEXT IS A LITTLE LOW BUT COMPARED TO SAMSUNG THE OVERAL GRAPHICS IS FAR BETTER WITH LESS (VERY LITTLE) EYESTRAIN AND NVIDIA SWAERS TO HAVE AN HDMI COMPATIBLE GRAPHICS CARD OUT WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR YOU CAN UPGRADE WITH.
LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE FINDS AN EVEN BETTER SOLUTION THAN INVIDIA WITH JVC-HDILA OR SAMSUNG OR MEANS TO GET THAT HDMI TO WORK.
(DON'T USE THE "XP PRO PC TO VIDEO COMPONET" ADAPTER, IT IS WORSE THAN MOST S-VHS).

THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTS, charles_c_22191@yahoo.com.

Username: Fraber

Almost forgot:

I've heard that the JVC Z795 SERIES 61" sets have Firewire IEEE 1394 & "Compu Link III Mini Jack" hookups. Anyone have one of these and know whether a computer may be hooked up via these?

Username: Stanjordan

Post Number: 6
Anonymous
I paid $2,498 plus tax.
Brandsmart USA in Deerfield Beach has the HD-52Z585 advertized for $2,298 which includes a $300 Voom rebate. I didn't want Voom, so the price was $2,598. They came down $100 from there.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 346
mike (Zoob)

I got your PM, but it did not contain an email address. If your still interested in the Service Manual let me know.

Peter T
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch
I do have pics on my companies digital camera having an issue downloading to harddrive- as soon as solved I will forward pics
thanks for asking
on the purchase- I paid $2550 (no tax - cash deal) but it was thru my wife's company's Electronics source so unfortunately deal is unavail to public
Also thx to all for DVE info, I will order as above, was planning a ISF calibration but cancelled to give this a try 1st
to All
keep the great info coming, the quality of the comments is far beyond what I have seen and certainly we have a great group here
Be well

Anonymous

Stan, did you try to haggle with them at all? I've seen it as low as 2199 on the net (through a sleazy, bad-reputation NYC chop shop...but still...) and was wondering if you tried getting them to match any web prices.

JBC1013
Unregistered guest
You can see it on HDTVTIME.COM. It will connect your digital recorder for sure- I don't know about the computer.

TLS
Unregistered guest
I plan to buy a Z575 tomorrow. How can you tell by the serial # if the set was manufactured in a good month? And, what month would that be starting from?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 347
TLS-

Subtract 5 from the first 2 numbers, and 5 from the 3rd number.
Serial number 159049553= Oct. 04.
Look for serial number that starts with atleast a 13 (August).

Here is one of the most accurate reviews (THE PERFECT VISION) I've read on the JVC. I transfered it onto a word doc, so it isn't pretty, but it is readable.
application/mswordUpload
JVCREVIEW.doc (42.5 k)

TLS
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, thanks for the info. From what I have read so far, the Z575 is the way to go. I currently have a Samsung HLP5063W that is less than 2-weeks old and is already having issues.

Now if I can get BB to go below $3000.00. Thanks!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 348
I was reading a review of a 3 chip DLP projector and I came across a reference to the JVC.

"The HT500 doesn't just eliminate
rainbow color-separation artifacts; it
produces the same kind of natural,
non-fatiguing images that have previously
separated LCoS designs (Sony's
SXRD and JVC's D-ILA especially)
from single-chip DLP."

TLS
Unregistered guest
I noticed that some have mentioned the amount of heat the Z575 gives off, will this be a problem if it is placed in an alcove in the wall? Will heat build up contribute to lamp or picture problems?

Anonymous

Well, I'm getting psyched about buying the JVC. I started off looking at the sammy DLP xx63 series, but everything I'm reading points towards the JVC as being far superior. As soon as I sell my mits 65411 I'm going to jump on the JVC. I'm gonna miss the Mits, but I moved into a new place and the mits is just too big for it. Anyone wanna buy it??

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 349
TLS-

You need to have plenty of room around the back of the set so it can stay cool. If you enclose the back of the set, it may stay too hot and shorten the life of the bulb. It won't effect the picture, you'll just have to replace the bulb more than normal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Happy days!!!

I finally received my 61" JVC today that I ordered from Pac-2000. I was happy to notice that it is a November build and arrived in appearently perfect condition. I paid for the 'white glove' delivery and was a little dissapointed to have to help the one delivery guy bring the TV inside. This faded quickly as I was too excited to get the TV unpacked.

I haven't had much time to play around with the set yet as I had to get some work in today. First impressions were great though. My DirecTivo menu just popped with clarity and vividness. SD content looked impressive. I do notice more compression artifacts than before, but the overall picture is much more enjoyable to watch. Tried differnt aspect ratios real quick and was very impressed with the panoramic mode. Picture filled the screen with almost no 'fat head' syndrome to be found. Only when a person strayed to the edges of the picture did I notice the effect.

Hooked up my Pioneer non-progressive DVD player and was very pleased at the picture quality. It is truly amazing how brite and vivid this tv produces. Had to look very close at the screen to notice the pixels. You can notice a slight screen door effect, but it is much less than an LCD display.

Was also pleased that it matched my Techcraft 58" stand almost perfectly. I liked this stand better than JVC's stand and was able to pick it up at Circuit City for $209. I will try and post a pic later for those who may be interested.

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 46
I can't help myself Doug!

It did say "White Glove" not glove(s) !

Congrats on the set, enjoy it in good health!

Toys for Boys!

It's Christmas!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Funny Jim, but if that were the case, the guy would only have one arm :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Angelog

Post Number: 52
Ed,

>> sync problems

I would try a different HDMI/DVI connector.

>> picture controls

When you press the "mode" button, you'll come to "brightness". Use the up/down arrow controls to scroll thru different picture settings.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Re: FAN NOISE

According to JVC, the acceptable spec for fan noise is 26db measured at 1 meter.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Green Tendency ...

I've been playing with the settings (and driving my family nuts). I have bought DVE and used it.

I think the green "gun" is "hotter" or more sensitive on these sets and that this is worsened by high contrast values (i.e. that the green component has a different brightness performance slope than the other 2 colors).

When I used DVE, it guided me to a fairly high contrast setting (+5-+10). After watching several programs though, I think that it's too high and I now have it down to around -7 to -10 ..

contrast -7 to -10
brightness at +10
color at -4 to 0
tint at -4

This seems to have helped the green issue a bit.

Also, I went to BB today for gifts and noticed ALL of the TV's tending to green .. the Sams, JVC's, Mitz .. all off the same feed and all tending to green.

Ang

Anonymous

!#$$#!#$ Brandsmart just jacked up the price by 300.00 between yesterday and today!!

Same for the samsung and same for the toshiba. WTF???? What happened to the supposed X-mas sales?!?!?!?!

I really hope the prices go down after xmas.

Username: Stanjordan

Post Number: 7
Anonymous,
I also saw lower prices for the TV on the web, but concidering the high price and shipping cost, I was more comfortable doing the buy with a local store. It was a good decision, since I had to return the original for exchange. I did try to haggle some. Also ask if they will match internet prices. They would not. However, they will match other local store prices. They will probabley come down $100 - $200 off of the tag price. You may also get them to throw in a inexpensive cable or DVD. I can't believe they increased the price. Is the new price with or without the Voom rebate? You might try Sears. They may match the old BrandsMart price.

Anonymous

Stan, their prices have been going up steadily over the past few weeks. Seems the closer to xmas, the higher the prices.

I'm going by their website where they have the current sales flyer posted. Yesterday the jvc and the sammy were both 2398 after the rebate. Today the jvc is 2698 and the sammy is 2598, both after the rebate.

Ridiculous!!!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 350
Has anyone heard of or seen the new Syntax 50" LCoS set? It is a 3 chip system like the JVC. The set is under $2,000, has PC input, DVI-I, and looks very interesting. You can check it at here:

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5456576

Matt Jones
Unregistered guest
Dear Doug Ardy:
Congrats on your new JVC set.
May I ask how much you paid for (before tax)?
By the way, how far from you to the TV, when you watch?
Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 111
Mr Lynch, glad some of us mac users have Word on hand for your review :-) Rich text or pdf is a safer bet for all platforms. Pretty good review.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Matt,

Bought my 61" from Pac-2000 for $3299 plus shipping ($3550 with white glove delivery). No tax for me since out of state. I sit about 15' away from the set.

I am still undecided in which aspect I will watch SD programming. Some shows look good to me on panoramic but others need Regular 4:3 for me. If watching in 4:3 then the image seems roughly the same size as my old 51" set.

I see no green glow as of yet either that others have mentioned.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 352
Ang-

I did some checking tonight (sorry it took so long) and you are right about the user setting.

The TV setting does not have different settings for component and HDMI, but rather a set for SD/ED 480i/480p and a set for HD 720p/1080i. If you adjust your settings using a 480i/480p signal, it will save that across all inputs, but it will not apply when watching HD 720p/1080i content.

What this means is:
1) Adjusting your TV using DVE/Avia on a progressive scan DVD will adjust the picture for SD/ED broadcasts, but it will not change things for the HD channels.

2) You will have to use an upscaling DVD player to properly tune the HD signal. Just copying the SD/ED setting will not give you an acurate picture.

This applies to both component and HDMI. Using HDMI, when I set my DVD player in 480p it has the same settings as standard def from the cable box. When I put the DVD player in 720p mode, it has the same settings as the HD content from the cable box. I hope this makes sense. It only took me 4 months to figure it out.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 353
Doug-

When we first got our set, we almost always used "Panaramic" or "full" with SD content. After a few weeks, it really started to bug us. Now we mainly watch SD in 4:3 standard mode now.

GregB
Unregistered guest
I've been lurking here for a while and was waiting to chime in with details on my D-ILA - but didn't expect it to start like this. After trying out a Samsung HLP5063 in September - basically happy with it. But lured by the dramatic improvement in contrast ratio/black levels in the 85 series, I returned it to BB (no problem). Once 85 came out, pedestal didn't do it for me, so I began watching here and elsewhere for the 74 series. Well I couldn't wait anymore, so I went for the JVC HD-52Z575. Got a kid at Sears to take 15% off the $3299 sticker - paid total of $3050 with tx and shipping.

So box comes in on 15 degree day here in NY - I let it come to room temp while connecting EVERYTHING (1 1/2 hours). Ready for the big moment, I drop the batteries in the remote, settle on the couch and power that sucker up.... CRASH AND BURN! The only visible light is a jagged glass shard-esque polygon in the upper left hand corner, 2 or 3 backwards letters and the distorted corner of a colored menu box. AAAARRRRG! As I take it down off the stand I hear jiggling parts inside... Closer inspection of the shipping box shows a bashed in corner. Looks like they drop kicked this puppy.

Expecting replacement day after tomorrow - will be back to share the [hopefully] good news.

Post Number: 8
Hi everyone, I am seriously considering purchasing the JVC 52Z575 or 585. I have two small children at home (4 years and 2 years old). I am concerned about how sturdy this TV is, and whether or not its designed to take some abuse like hitting the TV screen, etc. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 79
RE: "Hi everyone, I am seriously considering purchasing the JVC 52Z575 or 585. I have two small children at home (4 years and 2 years old). I am concerned about how sturdy this TV is, and whether or not its designed to take some abuse like hitting the TV screen, etc. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks! "

Well I have two Vizsla's that could do more harm than children. So far, so good. No damage. But the sets only a few weeks old.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Mr. L,

Are you seeing the dendency toward green in the following areas?

skin tones in shadow
blond hair in shadow
grey suits in shadow

I saw something interesting using the DVE disk that I'd like you to confirm. There is b/w pattern that has a wireframe ball moving in the center. I can see green on one edge on the wireframe ball, but none on any static b/w images.

Again, not sure if it's the DVD player so I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at yours.

Thanks

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Mr. Lynch,

I am still not sure in which aspect I will watch most SD programming. Panaramic seems good for programs that have less motion, at least horizontal motion. I tried a few programs in 4:3 and found it hard to adjust to. I had the same problem though years ago when watching my first widescreen letterbox dvd's.

Chris,

I have only had my set for a day now so it is hard for me to accurately comment on the screen. Initial thoughts though are that it is quite strong. I don't think cracking would be much of an issue, but as with any tv (aside from CRT glass) scratching could be an problem if the 'little ones' drag some sharp objects across it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Dave,

If my kids were that small (and let's not forget their darling friends), I'd get a 585 series Mitz dlp with the protective screen.

The x725 has single layer anti-reflective coating
The x825 has a double layer

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=40

Ang

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 354
Dave-

If your kids did damage the screen, you can replace the protective front cover. It runs $132.
PN# LC11870-001a

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Review in Ultimate AV Mag

http://ultimateavmag.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/1204jvc/

Looks like he's seeing the green in the dark areas as well.

Ang

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 356
Ang-

That was a very good review. Very objective. I pretty much agree with everything he said. My favorate part is the end:
"when I take into account size, price, appearance, and overall performance, my conclusion is unavoidable: As a real product in the real marketplace of consumers and consumer electronics, JVC's HD-52Z585 is the best HDTV I've seen."

Post Number: 10
Is there a TV build date that addresses the green glow or green in dark areas or any other problem that you know of? If so, what is it, and how do you tell the build date of the JVC TV? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Mr. Lynch,

I saw your post on the Syntax 50" LCOS set. While looking up more information on it, it appears they will be introducing another LCOS set. Here is the news clipping:

Syntax to Add 63-inch LCOS
In Q1 2005, Syntax Groups will introduce the second member of its mass-produced Olevia LCOS TV line, a 63-inch model with true 1080P images and 1500:1 contrast ratio, end-used priced below $5,000.

Sounds pretty interesting. I am sure I won't be getting a new TV for a long time now. I am happy with my decision, but it just goes to show you how fast this technology progresses.

Wishbone
Unregistered guest
Chris
Some of the extended warranties are all inclusive, will fix for mech. and physical damage. You may want to look into some of those.

Username: Dave_bostick

Doug Ardy-

You just made me very upset. I was going to get The JVC HD-52Z585. Now I'll have to wait and see what happens at CES. I will only be able to have 1 nice set and it will have to last me a very long time.

Thanks for the info on the 1080p

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
I've heard of JVC, I've never heard of syntax (unless coding). I don't think I'd trust a first generation LCoS device to just someone.

Look at Intel, Philips, Toshiba.

Anonymous

David Bostick,

Don't feel bad. I was looking forward to getting my JVC, but have had to hold off indefinitely due to the price being jacked up by 300.00 today.

I just read Sears pricing policy and was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting them to match internet prices. Here's the relevant part.

"If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale and delivery in your area from a local retail store's online site, Sears will match that total price Plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing the item from sears.com, email the information to order@customerservice.sears.com"

I know some web vendors like fotoconnection aren't really a local shop, but what about something like Abe's or J&R or some other places with known physical locations in the same areas as some Sears stores? Might they match those even if they are out of state? I'm assuming that the Sears in Maine would have to match Abe's prices, but what about a sears in miami? I know it's a longshot, but.......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Sears? Not my Sears in CT, they were the Absolute worsted for price matching.

Peter T
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch
you had requested pics of my custom cabinets Imade for the JVC, I finally got them downloaded, have a look.. I look forward to spending severadays over the holiday enjoying my new toy
I upload-hope it comes thru

Enjoy

Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch
seems size of photos (jpegs) are to large, if you want to see I will be happy to send to your personal email, just let me know and I'll be happy to send
or if you can advise any tricks to sending to this site that may help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Mr. L.

You've got DVE right? Would you mind looking at the pattern I mentioned and tell me if you see green on the "bouncing ball" in the middle.

The pattern is white line on black background pattern with a white wireframe ball bouncing around in the middle of the frame.

Ang

PS

My friend with the Denon 2910 just got his firmware update disk .. so we'll see if that changes the Denon's green tendency as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Fan Noise,

Thanks to Mr. L's service manual, you'll find that this TV has no fewer than 3 separate fans .. 1 squirrel cage and 2 muffens.

Just in case you're wondering why it's so lound.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Beyond using a calibration DVD or adjusting TV settings yourself, I'm curious if anyone has tried having their JVC professionally tuned to help solve the reported green glow or other problems. I understand professionals have access to settings that we don't. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Chris,

>>professionally tuned to help solve the reported green glow

Just to be clear, what I'm seeing in the lower end of shadows in flesh tones is different from what people refer to as the "green glow" .. which can be seen when the tv has no signal at all.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Correct me if I am wrong, the 'green glow' is only noticeable on an input with no signal, correct? Does it have any affect on the picture quality when a signal is applied?

I am trying to determine if my set has any of the 'green glow' others have mentioned. I see something in the upper left had corner when I switch to an unused input. I have to look very carefully and quite frankly I think it might just be some sort of reflection from ambient light in the room. To others that see this issue, is it very appearent or not?

Fan Noise:

To me, the fan noise is not an issue whatsoever. I have a computer in the room as well as a DirecTivo which both have fans. These fans are as loud as, or louder than the TV's fan. I can hear the TV fan, but only when the volume is muted. From some of the consumer reviews I have read, I half expected the fan to sound like a aircraft engine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ang,

I was referring to the greenish tint in shadow/dark areas. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Woud professional calibration help that?

I can deal with a little "green glow" on inputs with no signal!

Chris

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I need a little buying advice...

A local Mom and Pop TV store where I live currently has the JVC D-ILA set for $2700. They only have one, the floor model. When I asked if they have any others, they said no. When someone buys it, they order another one. The guy said they just sold one, so they've had this one for only a couple weeks. They do it this way so they can setup the TV and test it to make sure there are no problems.

All they had was a SD signal from antenna displayed on it. I must admit the picture looked great for that type of signal. I saw an HD signal on the JVC at Best Buy, and it looked great.

Best Buy has the TV for $3000. So, would you recommend buying the display TV at the local Mom and Pop store, knowing you're getting a working TV, or would you suggest getting a brand new one in an unopened box from Best Buy?

I assume Best Buy would have better service and a better return policy. Any other issues I should keep in mind? Thanks.

Chris

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Chris,

I don't think it would matter either way as long as the warranty starts at the time of order. The only other consideration would be bulb life. If they've had it 21 days on the floor for 12 hrs/day .. that's 504 hrs or about 8-10% of your bulb life.

Maybe they can sweeten the deal and give you an extra bulb.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks Ang, that's a good idea to ask that. When I went there, the TV wasn't even on, and when I left, they shut it off so I doubt it's been used very much. In fact, none of their TVs were on when I came in.

Anonymous

Dilemmas!!! I've just been offered a choice...either the JVC 52" for 2498 or the sammy 50" for 2198.

What to do...... I may end up with the sammy considering I still have to buy a stand and I'll probably get the extended warranty.

damn..I was really hoping to get a better price for the JVC, but all things considered, the sammy looks like a good set, and on top of that it's slightly smaller so it'll fit better in my place.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Doug Ardy,

The green glow when there is no input can also be seen in scene's that are very dark. For example, when I noticed mine, I saw it on LOTR opening scene. It is a problem with the light engine that can get worse. Look back at my postings. After I noticed mine, I kept watching the TV while I waited for the part and repairman to arrive. The green glow progressed into a brown nebula in the middle of the screen.

TLS
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

Unfortunately my z575 has to go into an alcove that does not meet the minimum distance from the wall, other than having to return it, would a stream of cool air directed towards the back compensate for inadequate distances? Thanks!

Username: Socalhawki

Newbie here. I have been lurking on this board for a few months and really appreciate all of the informative posts. This board has really sped up my due diligence research on the 61Z575.

Ang,
I have especially appreciated your posts as I am also considering the Denon 1910. FYI - another board has a discussion on firmware upgrades for the 1910 (Denon 1910 Problems), although Denon has yet to send out a working upgrade.

Even with some of the problems discussed on the 1910 thread, I still think I am going that route along with the 61Z575. It sounds as though you have been able to tweak settings on both 1910 and D-ILA to get a very good pic. I hope to do the same.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
From a happy JVC owner for over 4 months now, A Merry Christmas to all!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
TLS,

The internal fan ducting seems to be well designed on the set in that there are clear intakes and exhaust ports. The reason for minimum clearances is to all dispersion and mixing of the exhaust heat (rising and away)before it is reinjested into the intake vents (its the same issue you have with computer case cooling in which I have some experience).

So, the main issue is providing room temp air (or close to it) for the intakes and trying to keep the exhast air from heating the intake air. This can be done the way you suggested by blowing cool air into the environment, but depending on your particular situation you might find a more elegant solution by baffleing exhaust air away from the intakes and/or providing ducted cool air to the intakes. The problem with the fan is that it'll have to be always on or you'll have to remember to turn it on.

If you're looking for a project <g>, you might pickup a digital thermometer, possition the TV at it's minimum clearances someplace, let it run for 1/2 hour and take some exhaust temp measurements (as well as the ambient temp away from the TV). Then as you try different installation ideas, you can measure the exhaust temp and see if it's considerably higher than the "standard".

Ang

TLS
Unregistered guest
Ang,

Thanks for the info, I would sure hate to give up the TV and would rather work around it.
Thanks Again!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Pat_C,

>> 1910 problems

I haven't seen the macroblocking issue at all. It seems to be a problem when there are 2 levels of scaling going on .. both on the TV and the 1910. As the JVC is 720 and with the 1910 at 720p, I haven't seen the issue except in a couple rare instances which I attributed to the DVD and not the player.

>> green

I looked really close at the pic with some of the DVE test patterns and there is definintely a misalignment issue with my set. You can clearly see green off by as much as a pixel on the right side of the image (again though thru the 1910). I can also see this on HD comcast in certain areas which seem to be stationary on the screen (but much more subtle on HD).

I've got a call into JVC. We'll see what they say. Even with this VERY MINOR tinting, the image is pretty amazing. My wife and I watched an HD movie last night .. "Italian Mombo" or something to like that. The pic was terrific.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Peace.

Ang

Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 8
I have a very minor problem I don't recall reading about. When first I turn on my 52z575 to watch HD cable, I get a split video screen. When I go down a channel and back -- all is well.

I just picked up the new Comcast dual tuner DVR (had single tuner before) and the problem continues. I have seen this occur both in the old and new cable box, so I doubt it is the cable box.

The DVR is connected to the TV in two ways: a HDMI - DVI cable and a S-Video cable on V1 (I have all JVC equipment linked via compulink and compulink is hardwired to V1 -- so the S-Video cable is so the TV turns on with a video signal -- keeps the wife happy)

What was really strange is that it was split both on the digital in (HDMI) and V1 (S-Video), when I switchec between inputs, but was corrected when I changed the channel.

Anyone have any ideas about what causes this?

I have connected the DVR via a HDMI - DVI interface cable and S-Video on V1 (Other than the DVR, I have all JVC equipment connected via compulink and compulink

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I took a second look at teh JVC today at Best Buy. I saw that it was over emphasizing the greens. I see why people call it "electric green", especially on sports fields. Is there any way to fix that?

The picture was also very bright... almost too bright. I tried lowering the brightness but it didn't do much.

My two fav TVs are the JVC and the Sony KDF-50WE655. They had by the far the best pictures there. The DLPs couldn't handle fast moving scenes at all!

The problem with the Sony is that it pushed red a little too much, but I heard professional calibration can fix that. The blacks weren't as dark either.

Recommendations or suggestions?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 357
sailbyte-

The problem occurs because you have the cable box hooked up with 2 connections. When I tested out the DVI on my cable box, I left the component hooked up (v1). When I would first turn on the set I would get the split screen thing. I unhooked the DVI and went with component only and the problem went away. I'm not sure why it happens.

Username: Mlv2028

Post Number: 2
Help re: split screen. Have Comcast dual tuner DVR. Cable from box to splitter, one to DVR and one to TV. DVR connected to TV re componet cables. When screen is split, the picture from the DVR is fine if it remains on the left. When switched to the right, it's gone. JVC and Comcast have been no help. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Chris,

>> electric greens and brightness

They probably had it set for "Dynamic" or "Game". If you put it in Theater mode and get it setup .. the set is fine with enough control to set the brightness suitable for your installation.

Ang

Post Number: 9
Mr. Lynch:

Actually, the S-video connection was a recent add-on. Originally, I only had the DVI-HDMI connection and still experienced the split screen. So this, coupled with your experience, leads me to believe it may be related to the DVI connection. However, after I setup my S-video connection, I found it odd I would see the effect there too -- plus why does switching DVR channels make it go away?

It would simplify things to go component from DVR to TV; however, I hate to give up on that extra bit of video quality -- not to mention the $50 for the DVI/HDMI cable + additional $s to buy a new component cable.

As for MLV's split screen issue -- it sounds a bit different from mine. Mine is a single garbled video feed that is offset in the horizontal (left image on right, right image wrapped around to the left). MLV's problem sounds like it has to do with displaying two seperate video feeds at the same time (am I correct?).

JBC1013
Unregistered guest
I just bought the z 575 3 days ago, and am very pleased wtih the TV. I get some HD over the air channels, and the football games were incredible. I noted some "st elmos's fire" green outline in the shadows, but it was not consistent, and more related to the channel. I had some sync problems, but this was only when my air antennae was not picking up well. PS2 is great, as others reported. I am still fiddling around with the various tints, etc. I can't wait for the Direct HD TV. I think sometimes we get too critical with any little blemish in the picture, and can overlook the performance of the set as a whole. Hopefully no gremlins will show up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
First of all hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Now a couple of questions.

1) Is it worth purchasing a calibration DVD like Digital Video Essentials? I am wondering since the JVC have very little in the ways of fine adjustments.

2) Credits, white, at the end of a movie as they scroll up the screen seem to be 'shacking' for lack of a better word. Is this normal on this type of set (LCoS)? Or is there some type of adjustment, convergence?

Username: Mvpinboynton

Post Number: 5
I have enjoyed playing with DVE, but I don't know that it has really made much difference. This could be because I really haven't studied how to use some of the patterns. DVE is supposed to be adding some info to their website that will explain how to use some of them in the near future. One thing that DVE did do for me was to confirm that my old DVD player wasn't too great. As a result I got a new JVC DVD player/recorder that puts out a super PQ.

Anonymous

Dave Makowski, funny you should mention the shaking of the white scrolling credits. I noticed the exact same thing at Best Buy yesterday. The Sony XS955, Toshiba, Mitsu DLP, Zenith LCD and every other model attached to the same feed showed no shakes. I thought perhaps it was a bad connection to the JVC Dila, but now I am not so sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Anyone else see is:

Credits, white, at the end of a movie as they scroll up the screen seem to be 'shacking' for lack of a better word. Is this normal on this type of set (LCoS)? Or is there some type of adjustment, convergence?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 358
Dave-

Can you provide more info? Is this with DVDs or movies on TV? What type connections are you using? It is with all movies or just some?

I watch quite a few movies on both HBO in HD and SD, and DVDs using the HDMI input and I have not noticed "shaking" in the credits.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
RE: Movie titles 'shaking'

I've seen the shaking in cable HD and DVD's. Both connections are component.

DVD player is a Toshiba palying in Progressive mode (simple player, no upconverting going on in the DVD player).

It's when there is a black background, ending credits are scrolling up the screen.

The words scrolling are simply not smooth in movement, how do I describe it, they are jumpy.

So far in the two and half weeks I've had this set, this is the only thing I've noticed that is strange.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 359
I'll check it out tonight. I'll run my DVD player in Processive scan (480p) thur the component input, and I'll try to catch the credits of a movie on one of the HBO channels.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
RE: "I'll check it out tonight. I'll run my DVD player in Processive scan (480p) thur the component input, and I'll try to catch the credits of a movie on one of the HBO channels. "

That would be great!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I've noticed that same on my set Dave. I've only noticed it when watching a DVD through component input. My DVD is a pioneer and it is not even progressive scan. I will check on my directv when I get a chance as well. That is connected through an S-video input. Do you notice it only when the wording is scrolling, or when they are stationary also?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Comcast HD Cable Movies ..

Watched (and recorded on the PVR) Return on the King. All I can say is WOW. What am amazing picture. It doesn't matter how good your DVD is, nothing beats a real film to HD conversion.

Amazing.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
RE: "Do you notice it only when the wording is scrolling, or when they are stationary also?"

No only when scrolling.

Username: Gbower

Kanata, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
I'm wondering if I've connected something wrong as I'm not too impressed with the SD quality. I have a HD cable box and the HD programs and DVD are fabulous but the SD pictures on the non HD channels are very fuzzy. The cable box has a setup option of allowing all the screen resolutions, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i and I've played around with this. Tomorrow I may try just connecting the raw cablevision without the PVR connected and see what kind of picture I get. Right now it seems that all I want to watch are the HD channels although there are some programs that aren't HD that I occasionally want to watch and record.
Any help would be appreciated.

Post Number: 10
Gerry:

As you read this thread, you will quickly learn the downside of wonderful HDTV -- namely very poor SD TV. HDTV sets show every flaw in SD and the conversions necessary to show HDTV also tend to degrade SD even more.

The DVR gives you the option of leaving SD alone, or having the DVR upscale it to 480p. To be honest, I can not really tell the difference between setting the DVR to off, 480i or 480p -- earlier in this thread someone advised to just leave it off and let the JVC do the scaling since the set probably has a better scaler than the DVR box anyway.

Of course, for digital/HDTV broadcasts I would set the DVR to 720p -- which is the TV's native mode.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Dave,

Watched a DVD tonight and noticed the shaking white lettering again. Paused the DVD and the letters looked perfect.

I also looked at some credits on one of my Directv channels (connected via s-video) and didn't notice any problems. The scrolling was slower than the DVD however.

If this is the only problem I encounter i'll be happy. I don't make it a habit to watch too many credits.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Thanks Doug,

I agree this is a very minor issue. Just want to confirm that it isn't just my set.

Username: Gbower

Kanata, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks Sailbyte,

I did realize that SD wouldn't be great but thought that maybe with the different settings on the DVR that it may be a bit better. I've tried all the different DVR settings without any real change in picture. I sure just love this set so far and I'm looking forward to many years of great HD watching.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us