LCD or DLP?

Anonymous

Which one is better, LCd or DLp?? Whats the difference?

Anonymous

DLP is optical chips and LCD is liquid crystals

LCD and DLP both produce outstanding pictures

Username: Chiefbdt

Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Post Number: 1
I have a Toshiba 3LCD Data Projector that has started to show some vertical lines on the left side of the screen. I'd like to get it repared but don't know where to take / send it. The manual says Toshiba Mod. TY-G1U. My screen is 84 inches diagonal and is 15 feet from the projector. Adjusted to it's smallest size it fits perfectly. I went to buy a new projector and the 2 that I tried won't adjust small enough to fit my screen. My questions are:
Is there someone who can repair my projector at a reasonable price, or, is there another projector I can buy that will adjust down enough to fit my screen properly. The two I tried were Optima and Viewsonic. Both were very nice but would not adjust small enough to fit my screen. I can't move the screen or the location of the projector as the room was built around the Toshiba and my current screen. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks ChiefBDT@earthlink.net.

Anonymous

PANASONIC PT-AE700U FRONT PROJECTOR LCD (1280 X 720P)has the most advanced lens within its class at 2.0 allowing long throws if necessary. It costs about 2200 dollars (U.S.) For a typical 16:9 (HDTV style) screen your target s/b within its range. Different screens could vary a bit

The cost/benefit to repair vs buy depends upon how much you value true HDTV that can create a true in-theater experience. The AE700U is better for those wanting exceptionally high quality HD detail and color from first rate broadcast HD signals and the upcoming HD-DVD and Blue-ray standards. There might however be cheaper units better for general gaming, dvd, misc use etc.

Unregistered guest
Wat is the application u wanna use it for??
LCD n DLP is something like buying an apple or orange, they have their own pros n cons.

1.LCD delivers sharp computer images while DLP delivers fine video signals.
2.DLP machines can be made very small in size (even less than 900Grams)While LCDs have a considerably bigger size
3. LCDs have a longer stamina than DLP Projectors
4. DLP technology can have a contrast upto 3000:1 unlike LCDs have an industry Avg. of 450:1

So they r very very application oriented

Anonymous

On both devices the picture is made of small tiny pixels (like a computer image). On DLPs each pixel is actually a mirror and the mirror position can be controlled to be reflecting light or not. If I leave the mirror 100% of the time reflecting light I have a pure white. If I leave 0% of the time I have black. Anything between will be a gray tone.
As you can see DLPs do not create color images on the chip itself. A spinning wheel with 3 or more segments (one at least for RED, GREEN and BLUE) is put in front of the light path that is leaving the mirrors and color is magically added.
The problem with this is some people are susceptible to an effect that appears thanks to this wheel, the rainbow effect. Some will simply see like a rainbow flashing on the picture. Others like me will have huge headaches when watching a DLP.
The main advantage of DLPs is better blacks and higher contrast. The main drawback is the rainbow effect. Also pixels are smaller on DLPs.
LCDs are different. With 3 panels, one for creating each color layer, the produced image is actually in color and there is no rainbow issue at all. Light passes through the panels and through polarizers and you have a color image.
Advantages: no rainbows whatsoever. Much easier on the eye.
Issues: screendoor is more noticeable, blacks are not that black, lower contrast (although today, some PJs like Sony HS51 have a 6000:1 CR, way higher than DLPs, normally in the 2000:1 range).
Try both. If you see rainbows or have headaches, LCD is the way to go.

Anonymous

I want to use my Toshiba 3LCD Projector with my notebook computer and show DVD's. I can see the computer screen in the background but the projector will not show the DVD'd projection. WHat do I need to do to make this work?

Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 7

I want to use my Toshiba 3LCD Projector with my notebook computer and show DVD's. I can see the computer screen in the background but the projector will not show the DVD'd projection. WHat do I need to do to make this work?

Are you cloning your display, meaning, are you trying to show the video on both the laptop screen and project it at the same time? Or are you changing the video output on the laptop (Function + F8 or F5), to only show the video on the projector.

On my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, I have the same problem as you, when I clone the display, because the graphics card is only 16 MB and cannot support both displays at once. However, if you do not clone, but only use the projector (Function + F5 on my laptop), the video comes out fine.

Hope that helps.

Anil

Username: Armstronger

Post Number: 1
You can use the remote panel, Select the computer or dvd's by switching the input channel

Anonymous

I'd like to use a projector to display powerpoint slides and charting software for trading stocks. I'm considering the Dell 5100mp.
It is a DLP, can someone please tell me if this is a wise choice?

Bronze Member
Username: Agentxfile

Post Number: 57
LCD or DLP?

Well my choice would be a DLP projector. That is if I can find one with the lens shift feature, which makes set-up easier for me because of where the projector will be positioned.
To me a DLP projector has better picture quality compared to an LCD projector. The reason why is the "screen door effect" that LCD projectors have, which I have noticed that the larger the size of the picture from a LCD projector the more noticeable the "screen door effect" is.

I have the Epson PowerLite Home 20 3LCD Projector that I bought from Fry's Electronics/Outpost.com For $999.99 which came with a free 80in pull-up/floor standing screen($350.00 value).
The only thing about it that I do not like is that it has the "screen door effect", but other then that I can't be any happier.
I had a 36in tube tv and now going to an projector with 80in screen with everytime I watch a movie it seems like movie heaven, because I am sitting there with my mouth opened in a state of WOW through every movie I watch.

Joe

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us