Aspect ratio's and samsung DLP

Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 7
I have a Samsung HLP5063 TV and a Denon DVM-1815 dvd player. I have the dvd player set to 16:9 widescreen like it says to do if it is connected to a widescreen tv. When I play a dvd and set the tv to "wide" the picture looks stretched with black bars top and bottom of the screen.If I change the TV to 4:3 the picture looks as it should, except there are bars on the sides and bars on top and bottom.....a rectangle inside a rectangle, if you will. The store I bought the tv from has a wall of tv's that usually are showing a dvd, and the screen is always full. I asked the guy why that doesn't happen on our set. They don't look stretched, unless I'm not looking close enough. He tells me if my dvd player is set to widescreen(and it is)a 1:85:1 dvd it will fill the screen, and that a 2:35:1 dvd will have black bars top and bottom. I tried both, and neither fill the screen, but what bothers me most is that even with the bars on the top and bottom, the picture only looks right when the tv is set to 4:3, and then there are bars on the sides also. This doesn't seem right, but this whole widescreen tv thing is brand new to us. Please help! And, thanks in advance.

sergio
Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem. Have a new Samsung HLP5674 and some DVDs play as they should. Others are squashed, and others have the same problem as stated above with the only correct visual when it is a box within a box. I just traded in a new Sony 50" LCD because of configuration (size) problems, but this was not an issue at all with the Sony. Every dvd played as it should without needing adjustment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us