Question about RG6 cable and connections

Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 6
I've been doing some research on RG6 cable and connectors because I'm hearing about a lot of different types, so I thought I'd ask here for opinions. I have Directv, and a triple LNB dish, and I'm getting HD also. I've heard that it is always best to have one run of cable from the LNB to the satellite receiver without any breaks from connectors etc. Mine gets broken twince by a grounding block and at the wall plate. One person will say that won't make a difference, and another will say that a digital signal doesn't like to be broken at all. Opinions? Now, about RG6 cable....there is regular RG6, double shielded, quad shielded, etc. How much does all this matter? In other words, if I redo my cable with the "quad shielded" for example, and make sure it is one unbroken run all the way to the satellite receiver, using the best connectors, will I walk in and see a difference in my picture, or is there a point when it becomes overkill? For even a slight difference I'm willing to do it, but I'm not sure if it is necessary. I've even heard you should even cap off all unused F connections on your LNB etc. to avoid signal "jumping". To sum it up....is it worth it being "obsessive" about this? I already am by nature, but I do know that sometimes it's not necessary. Any, any feedback greatly appreciated!

largo key
Unregistered guest
Usually breaks in connections won't matter at all,but obviously the more breaks,the more apt to have problems..I know of many who don't even use RG6,but R59 instead...I personally don't think the RG6 and breaks are an issue if all is done securely..I'm sure others will disagree,but I have used both and with/without breaks and never made any difference unless there was a bad cable or connection..regular RG6 should be fine with breaks...your question is similiar to asking whats better a Chevy or a Ford..and with or without a standard or automatic tranny..both will do the job,depending upon how its built and maintained..

Unregistered guest
If your system is working fine, then you will see absolutely no difference if you upgrade your cable run from your satellite to your dish.

If your signal breaks up during heavy rains, or other inclimate weather, then you will get better results with better cable. Better cable gives you more signal, but with digital, it either locks onto the RF signal, or it does not and gets blocky, or 'blacks out' completely. If you signal never unlocks, then you have enough RF for the receiver and you do not neet to recable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us