Philips 42PF9956 Set up

david lundin
Unregistered guest
Just bought this new plasma tv which has all kinds of dynamic processing features (digital natural motion, noise reduction, etc.) have it hooked up DVI-HDMI with my HD-cable box and HDTV looks great although in certain formats (4:3) there is a small red line at the bottom of the picture

DVD hookup is another issue. I have the Samsung 841 which upconverts the picture when hooked via its DVI but is just 480p when hooked with component, which is how I have it (as I only have one HDMI input) When I set the DVD to 480i the picture looks almost 3D but movment seems kind of jittery but when I set the DVD player to progressive The picture looks great but seems off center on the tv and you loose the ability to maximize the picture etc.

Of course, this is all very specificm and I can find no information anywhere (even on philips site) on what/how to set things to make the picture the best.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Anonymous

Regarding the image not being centre (in both points) - the main circle that is on the remote, press the direction that you want the image to go in, eg, if the image is to the left, then press right on the circle.

Username: Thubleau

Post Number: 2
The HDMI to DVi should yield 480p 720p or 1081i
So I can't understand why it would show just 480p unless you are not watching any hi defintion sources.
often you need to adjust the settings of the set top box to display correctly using a HDMI connection so I would go to the manufacturers site and see if you can find any information relating to the matter that is not in your manual.
I have to be honest, the philips has proven to me to be a lemon and a very disappointing set regardless of some of the glowing reports on picture quality.
Just off topic for a moment.
Also check to see if you can get the DNR adjustment to stay off after you switch the set back on because i have found that it will not retain the setting and the DNR always defaults to the maximum which degrades the picture to much.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
David,

The screen is already center from the sides, the only adjustment you can perform to it is by lowering it or rising it. This function only works when the Picture Format is set in "Automatic".

Note, the Picture Format locks into "Widescreen" mode when using the HDMi input and certain settings dissapear limiting additional picture adjustments.

P.S.; I was going to get the 50" version of it for my bedroom, but i decided to wait until September, that's when the new Wi-Fi Philips FlatTV are released.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us