Probably a dumb question regarding new TVs

Username: Anonymous

Post Number: 1
Hey all. I'm not very up to date on this stuff and I feel embarassed asking this. At Best Buys yesterday I noticed all the non-HDTVs have black lines between every row of pixels. Why is this? The TV I use is a blast from the past from the late 80s or early 90s, and there are no black lines between the pixels. Is this just how new TVs are? It kind of bothers me. My friend just yesterday bought a 27" non-HDTV Sansui TV while we were at Best Buys when I noticed this. I planned on buying a new one later for myself, but I really don't like these black lines, they're very noticable from my close distance. Can someone tell me why there are black lines and if/how they can be dissabled? Thanks!

Discovering
Unregistered guest
You're standing a little too close. The further you get away from a standard picture tube tv, the more your eyes are fooled by the fact that an electron beam is drawing 525 lines of resolution and flashing 30 frames per second to draw you a moving picture on a screen. If you're going to be that close to a tv you might consider an LCD.

Post Number: 2
alright thanks. I ended up buying an ESA 20" flat screen for $120 from circuit city. The price is great and the picture is just fine (not the best, but excellent for $120). Here's the link:

http://catalog.ebay.com/ESA-EF402E-20-Television-/48201171

It says $140 there, but it has a rebate which i have not yet shipped.

Anyway, I've been happy with this TV so far, but when I played Legend of Zelda: Windwaker today, it seemed to have some problems. My problem is that when I am out on the open sea in the game (and sometimes in other places) there are straight vertiacal lines of a slightly lighter or darker blue then ocean itself. This is a screenshot from IGN, but imagine that there are thin vertical lines of a different shade of blue in just the ocean:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/zedlausfinaleng4.jpg

Does anyone understand this or know what might be hte problem? This is the only instance in which I've seen this, and I guess it's because the ocean is one solid color that might be difficult for the TV to process. I tried recreating the blue with both a blank VCR screen (which is pure blue) and with Halo 2, which has a lot of blue in the menus. None caused the same effect. I would love to not take the TV back for a new one, so if anyone can tell me what's going on I would much appreciate it.

Oh, and I haven't yet tested the Zelda game on a different TV yet, but I will do so right now.

Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 3
Alright, I just tested out Zelda with a year old 30 something inch panasonic TV (not HD or flat screen). The problem did not exist on that TV... this is discouraging. Would it be more likely that ESA makes poorer televisions that have strange problems like mine, or did I just get unlucky and get a messed up TV that needs to be returned for the same model? Any help is welcome.

Discovering
Unregistered guest
You could swap it out and see, but it is a cheap set.

Post Number: 4
But do you have any idea what it might be? It's just thin vertical off-color lines that stay stationary even when i'm turning in the game. I really don't want to take it back, but if I do, will I have to prove to them that there's a problem? Is it a big hassle returing a TV or not (I've never had too before)? Thanks.

Discovering
Unregistered guest
You tried a completely different set and the lines were not there. So, this new set has a resolution problem displaying your generated signal. (the game) Tell them the problem is intermittant. I doubt they will plug it in and try to prove you wrong. Any store will swap with no questions asked within the first 30 days. Multiple times too. Even if you want a differet set. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

Post Number: 5
alright thanks for the advice, i'll try exchanging it

Unregistered guest
i tested today the game in 2 differents tv sets. one new lg and another cheap one. the lines appeared in both tvs. its a problem with some gamecube games. i think that in some other tvs this problems dont exist, but on most of them it does..this have to be with the refreshing resolution... if you find something else just write..im trying to find a solution...

Danny Chan
Unregistered guest
I have a tv with only a cable/antenna input in the back. Is there a device I can plug into the tv to get an A/V input? I want to plug my PS2 into the tv but I can't without the input.

Unregistered guest
I have a tv with only a cable/antenna input in the back. Is there a device I can plug into the cable to get A/V inputs? I want to know cause i want to plug my PS2 into the back.

Edgy
Unregistered guest
Danny Chan/1002:

Sorry, throw those old sets away. New tube type tv's with audio/video inputs are very affordable.

Edgy
Unregistered guest
If you can't afford a new set, here is a post about an rf modulator at Radio Shack. I think it requires a cable ready set because the channel out can only be set to channel 50 to 125 or something like that.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/117182.html

Unregistered guest
hi my name is sam hawkey
im doing a essay in school about does tv really square your eyes?
thanks 4 your time please email back
sam hawkey

Unregistered guest
hi my name is sam hawkey
im doing a essay in school about does tv really square your eyes?
thanks 4 your time please email back
sam hawkey

Manish Chacko
Unregistered guest
ESA is a brand manufactured by CircuitCity themselves. The TV tuner has some problems but DVD input is nice esp when u pay 220 for a 32 inch tv!! check out this link
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/92810/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

Littlebear
Unregistered guest
I had the same issue with Windwaker as reported above. I had a 20" RCA that was about 4 years old. I think that that was mostly a problem with the GC and not a TV issue, although some TV's are more prone to certain things than others. Newer TV's are capable of displaying things more "truly" that can be both good and bad depending on signal.

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I,m searching for a audio range power amplifier with 200 watts rms.so pls suggest me any circuits are any website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us