DVI Cable & VCR Hookup...Anyone w/a Dish 811 Receiver?

Username: Alainmichel

Post Number: 3
Hello All,

For the past 2 weeks I have been unable record a tv program on my VCR, We have the Dish Network HD 811 receiver hooked up to a Sony HDTV.

The tech who installed the receiver pulled out some of the wires in the rear of the HDTV, moved the TV back and it wasn't until I tried to tape a show and couldn't, that I realized that there were misplaced wires behind the TV. I can't get any help from the local D/N folks, so here I am.

The "video 1 out" [component cable] from the 811 goes to the "line in VCR"; the "video 1 input" [component cable] from the HD receiver goes to the "line out" on the VCR. That's the way I had it connected with the cable box.

When I called D/N's 1-800 customer support I got conflicting advise from 2 technicians. One guy told me that if I bought a DVI cable that would solve all my problems. The other guy told me that there should be no "input" cables from the rear of the 811 receiver to the rear of the VCR; that's when I pulled the component cables as he suggested.

When I pulled out the component cables to test things, I can play a pre-recorded tape alright, but I still can't record. I have a coax cable that goes from the rear of the VCR's "rf out [to tv]" to the "UHF/VHF" jack on the rear of the HDTV. That controls the VCR replay; when I disconnect that cable, I can't view a tape.

The rear of the HDTV has only one "video out" [other than a DVI connection]; the "video out" goes to the rear of the Onkyo 5.1 surround sound amp.

Whew...

Lastly, there is a "back panel Input 1" and an "Input 2" displayed on the Dish Network Program Menu screen. I selected input 1 I couldn't replay a tape; when I selected input 2 I could.

Can anyone help me sort this whole thing out? I'm never going back to cable, but hookups were a lot easier with it!

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain...San Diego
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us