Will US videotape work on UK VCR?

Texas Chick
Unregistered guest
I have some relatives living in the UK, and I want to send them some videos and DVDs.

If I record stuff on my VCR in the US, will it work on a VCR in the UK?

Same question for a DVD (pre-recorded and also some recorded by me). Will it work on a DVD player in the UK?

Thanks.

Anonymous

you have to use a bit of trial and error

videos might work some of the time, however dvd's are less likely

one answer is to obtain a region-free dvd/vhs combo player for use in america, however that won't solve all of the problem

Best solution and the easiest and safest solution is to have the UK person (via an A/B switch) to have the ability to switch to a region 1 dvd and vhs player - (from their regular euro system )- which is also the cheapest solution- as these are almost being given away.

just buy an off the shelf american dvd/vhs combo and mail it to them - with an A/b switch - with a coax split - if that is the cable they are using

this issues comes up in reverse for example in America whereby some have bought region-free DVD players just to watch the complete dvd rerun series such as ALLY MACBEAL -only available (for legal reasons) in UK

Anonymous

If your relatives in the UK have a multi-region DVD player, then your DVDs will work for them.

Also, if their VCR and TV supports NTSC (Which most do now-a-days), it should work too

Username: Patinaz

Post Number: 1
My friend in the UK sent me a vhs tape ...the cover of the box says E240 ..When I play it in my vcr it won't play ,too fast ...can I change the speed from ep to sp ...?
But when I send a tape it plays on her vcr fine ...

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 594
That is because there is alot of multi-format equipment in Europe, it's very rare and expensive here. You need a multi-format VCR.

Username: Patinaz

Post Number: 2
Where can I find a multi-format vcr in the states ...preferably AZ

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
I've seen them on e-bay. Only a couple of companies make them anymore, Samsung which is trash and Aiwa, if they still make one, that's all I know of. Expect to pay a few hundred if you buy one new. If you're only wanting to watch a tape or two, you should be able to find someplace to convert it for you.

Unregistered guest
Hi. I ordered a rare movie off of ebay from the uk and it will not play on my vcr. I would rather not buy a new vcr because the one I have is new 2003. Is there anything I can buy to make it compatiable with my vcr? The sound is good but the picture is scrambled.

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
Nothing you can do, it won't play. The only thing you could do is take the tape somewhere that can put it on DVD or convert to NTSC VHS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us