Canadian nabbed in Florida for Satellite Piracy

Username: Aubrey

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
Did anyone hear about the man from my hometown London Ontario who got 7 years for satellite piracy?

Unregistered guest
its on here somewhere

largo key
Unregistered guest
ALL satellite legal cases and info/help is located at www.wumarkus.com ...go there if U want any truth to this,cause it would be posted in there....and yes,there is a short very simple undetailed post here about someone from there,allegedly working "offshore" getting popped in Florida almost 2 years ago with alleged other dealers..

largo key
Unregistered guest
Also if U did just a little "look see" here first before U posted,then U would have seen that there is a thread here with your same subject as the title of yours..here it is for you...I personally don't buy it..a 7.5 year bid for satellite piracy is just a little too hard to believe for me

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/112235.html

largo key
Unregistered guest
DirecTV Hacker Sentenced To Seven Years
By Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus Dec 10 2004 3:54PM

A Canadian man was sentenced to seven years in a U.S. prison this week after admitting he led a sophisticated satellite TV piracy ring that produced and sold thousands of hacked smart cards in the U.S. and Canada.

Martin Mullen, 50, was also ordered to pay DirecTV and its smart card provider NDS Ltd. $24 million in restitution. Mullen pled guilty in a federal court in Tampa, Florida last September to conspiracy to violate anti-piracy laws, and to entering the U.S. illegally after being deported on an unrelated matter years earlier.

According to court records, Mullen was an expert at cracking security on the smart cards DirecTV issues to subscribers to authorize access to television programming. In normal operation, a subscriber inserts the card into a slot in the DirectTV set top box, and a satellite signal from the company tells the receiver which channels, if any, the subscriber is allowed to watch, based on the unique identification number coded into each card.

In his plea agreement with prosecutors, Mullen stipulated to heading a network of over 100 distributors throughout North America that sold thousands of hacked cards granting free access to all of DirecTV's channels.

"The severe sentence handed down by the court is clearly warranted in this case and we applaud the judge's decision," said Jim Whalen, senior director of DirecTV's Signal Integrity Department, in a statement. "This sentence serves as a stark reminder that the sale and distribution of signal theft devices has grave consequences."

Under federal sentencing guidelines, Mullen's prison term was decided primarily by the amount of loss DirecTV suffered -- a matter that was left for the court to determine. After two days of evidentiary hearings, Judge Richard A. Lazzara accepted the government's claim that Mullen was responsible for at least 16,000 hacked cards, and that each card cost DirecTV and NDS $1,500 in financial losses, for a total of $24 million. DirecTV estimates that, in all, Mullen and his distributors put 68,000 cards on the street.

Mullen's attorney, Darlene Barror, is appealing the sentence, but did not return repeated phone calls on the case. In a posting to a Web forum, Mullen's daughter, Nicole McKenzie, said she believed the government coerced her father into pleading guilty by threatening to prosecute his family. "My parents have been married for 31 years and my dad is my two children's only father figure," McKenzie wrote. "You hear about these things on TV, but this is real life. In my opinion he was completely set up."

A long time foil of the satellite TV industry, Mullen was already embroiled in civil litigation with NDS when a private investigator working for the company found paperwork in Mullen's garbage indicating he was planning a summer trip to Florida under an assumed name, prosecutors say. The company tipped off U.S. law enforcement, and federal agents arrested Mullen at Tampa International Airport last June.

Mullen is now in custody at the Miami Federal Detention Center, and, in an odd reversal, NDS engineers are working to crack the encryption on a memory stick seized from him at his arrest, according to court records. They're hoping to find numbers for offshore bank accounts in which Mullen has allegedly stashed millions in earnings from his enterprise. Assistant U.S. Attorney Ernest Peluso, Mullen's prosecutor, says the government gave NDS the memory stick data and some other evidence because federal officials lacked the laboratory facilities to analyze customized smart card equipment.

Peluso says piracy is a serious business. "There's huge losses, really in the billions of the dollars, and they have to do with companies that provide important service to 20 million American families," he says. "These losses affect the financial viability of these companies."

By some estimates, piracy was costing DirecTV $1.2 billion a year when, in April, the company finished a wholesale swap-out of 17 million older access cards and shut down its legacy data stream, effectively slamming the door on signal pirates. Since then, a slow resignation has begun to settle over the pirate community, which has been unable to crack the company's fourth generation smart card, called the "P4."

Anonymous

largo key ....why you posting downers

largo key
Unregistered guest
its truthful news..unfortunate, but news..many are intersted in truth and news related to DSS in a DSS forum..

why do U want to hack TV?...most TV is a "downer"

Anonymous

yeah I know, but I've been watchin it since I was a kid. and besides, I wouldn't know what else to do after a hard day's work.( tv and a couple beers )

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
Well Largo it kinda like this Canadian TV sucks we our always having Canadian content shoved down are throats. I love the sport packages which to me are unreal. I'm just trying to get what is being made unavailable to me by the CRTC. I would suscribe to these things in a second if they were made available to me. I don't hack Canadian TV such as Bell ExpressVu for this reason because it made available to me.

largo key
Unregistered guest
I understand completely...Bev sucks!...best thing to do is share a Directv sub with someone in US or use a US address..with the total completed switch to Nagra2 coming out very soon, Dish and FTA will go the way of the Hu cards with DTV..so share a DTV subscription instead,it'll always be up!...DTV offers the most and best,especially all the sports programming,which I am into also...need my Red Sox,Patriots,UConn Bball,and BC football

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 12
But what if you don't know anyone in the States? Dish is going down that sucks I just renewed my satellite subscription for six months. I was with DTV but once the Football card went down I went to Dish. To be honest I really don't see the difference between both of them DTV and Dish except for The Sunday Big Ticket which I do subscribe with BEV when they got it. So you can see my concern with this guy in London getting nabbed, I hoping they would have the DTV problem solved if Dish went down then I could go back to DTV. I also need my FOX PITTSBURGH for all my STEELERS news.

be a man
Unregistered guest
what a whinny schmuck

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 13
What an unintelligent comment unregistered idiot

Kill Bill
Unregistered guest
Yeah, seven years sucks especially since there was NO evidence and he was duped into signing a plea. There is a lot more to this story than what the damn press is printing!!

Anonymous

Baby ..... its cold outside

I know I was there
Unregistered guest
It's a shame, it's to bad, it sucks, Yeah it's all of this, but most importantly it's not justified and based on NO EVIDENCE. The prosecution did not need to provide any, he signed the plea agreement; therefore according to the court he was guilty. The prosecution told him by signing the plea agreement he would not serve any more time then his time already served, and would be the fastest way to get home. The prosecution lied. There is much, much more to this story. If anyone cares to read the transcripts they would see Martin Mullen did not admit to selling Directv cards in the US. He sold in Canada and Mexico ONLY (where it was legal to sell at the time).
PS the reason he signed the plea agreement is because the prosecution told him they would be arresting his son that day if he did not. (they gave him two hours to decide) What would you have done?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us