TV's with HD tuners

Rocky
Unregistered guest
I was told by a salesman at a local store that the HD tuner in any of their tvs would work only with local channels and with cable(if there is a cable card slot in that model). He says that for HD via sat you need an HD sat reciever. This seems crazy and misleading to me. Is this true?

Anonymous

ITS TRUE

however note that in major metropolitan areas, within a 50 to 80 mile zone at least - generally you could simply add a cheap HD antenna (really UHF antenna) on the set top and get great FREE HI DEF pictures of the PBS feed and the major networks simply be pointing it in the right direction

e.g Silver Sensor sold by Zenith- sell for around 35 dollars and works great in most places

Also if you have Comcast cable -note they have a great new HI DEF (hard drive) VIDEO DIGITAL RECORDER made by Motorola - that allows to make pristine HD copies for later viewing

Dazed
Unregistered guest
I am considering buying RCA HD61LPW165 because I feel that it is technically complete. I also love the name as I have 4 other tube RCAs which have worked very good for me. However, I have not been able to see it anywhere in any store and the salespersons discourage me to buy it. I am very apprehensive.

I have also been thinking of Toshiba 62HMX94 at about $800 more and at a sacrifice of the browser.

Which one is better? I want to minimize my regret. Eventually, it is picture that counts as TV is a source of spectacle.

Is the HDTV technology still evolving and one should wait?

Help!!

armchairmanoftheboard
Unregistered guest
I hope it evolves to a point were I don't see people complaining about audio sync and blurred basketballs and pixalization. Maybe there is a problem with the whole Hidef signal and not the T.V.'s. What would we do if the trouble is the signal our government finally decided we she use?

Dazed
Unregistered guest
I purchased the RCA HD61LPW165. It fit in a corner, taking very little space. I got digital cable service. The picture looks beautiful. The picture is great on many analog cable chanells. The sound system is great. I am so pleased with my decision.

Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 7
Anonymous is right.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 62
It's possible that the Satellite providers may implement a cablecard system in the future that would make use of an internal HD decoder, but so far, that has not happened.

I have a Mitsubishi DLP, with cablecard and an HD tuner, and I rarily use it that way. You obviously have not tried a Tivo/DVR. Once you have Tivo/DVR, you'll never want to live without it. So, I use my Comcast HD DVR for 99% of my viewing.

My advice...don't worry about an internal decoder. GET A TIVO/DVR!!! I have yet to meet someone that regretted getting a Tivo/DVR. You'll love it! The only problem with that solution and dish/directv is the cost of their hd dvr/tivo. They're way overpriced. That is why I recently switched from directv to comcast. DirecTV wants $1000 for their HD Tivo, Comcast is only $10/month plus gave me $20/month discount. It's a no-brainer...

Unregistered guest
I am considering to buy a LCD or Plasma TV. Is Plasma worth the extra money? Also, it seems there are several different built-in HD tuners. Is one better over-all than the others?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us