Works without CableCard?

Username: Boxedup

Post Number: 2
Just so you know, I am a cable provider hater but I use them for broadband and refuse to allow a STB in the house...that's why I'm looking into DLP's with internal tuners. I read on a post that someone was getting HDTV on a few stations with just the cable connected and no cablecard installed. What's the deal here and are the cable companies pushing something that you don't need?

Username: Thomas_frieder

Staten Island, New York USA

Post Number: 4
unless they are using an HD capable cable box, i have not heard of one provider offering unscrambled HD ...if you have clear antenna access you should be able to get hdtv over the air but hdtv over the air is sometimes fussier than the old analog method (lots of reflected signals cause problems)

jcr
Unregistered guest
I am able to get 7-10 Comcast HD channels without a cable card - just hooked up the coax directly to the TV (50" Panasonic RP LCD HD). The reception is excellent, but the channels are in an unusual location (NBC HD is 1.1 Fox is 2.1) and seem to shift sometimes. For example, entering 84.1 will bring in the Discovery Channel HD Theater perfectly, but that number may change at some point, and the only way to find it again is with a manual search. Anyone know why this happens?

jcr
Unregistered guest
Adding to my above post.

Actually, ABC HD and NBC HD have now "migrated" to the same channel, 1.1. It defaults to NBC, but if I switch through the signal input mode (DVD, VCR... back to tuner), ABC comes up on 1.1. Again, this is with an HD set (built in tuner) with no cable card installed or box hooked up.

WTF???

tvdude
Unregistered guest
Hello,

This stuff applies if you have a TV with an internal digital cable tuner:
You can in theory tune just about any digital channel that is not scrambled.
You cannot tune scrambled channels without a cable box or cable card (which contains the descrambler).
Most cable companies that offer HD will carry the local HD channels, unscrambled. This was part of an FCC agreement, I think, and should not require a cable card.
A good TV will not lose the channels once you have found them during a channel search (except maybe once in a while when the cable company re-arranges their channel line-up).
The channel numbering scheme in place on most cable and satellite boxes is a single-number scheme totally different from the dual-number scheme used for broadcast HD channels.
If the cable company is transmitting its data properly and the TV is working properly, the HD channel number should not conflict (you should not be getting two different channels on 1.1). In fact, the channel numbers for the local HD channels on cable should match the channel numbers for the local HD channels on antenna, if your cable company has taken the time to set it up correctly.
Now it's *possible* that, besides these local HD channels, you might be able to pick up some other digital cable channels, HD or not, without a cable card. But the cable company certainly has no obligation to let you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
well i cannot speak for you especially since we do not know what system you live in or are using, but i can speak for my area TWC and other NYC borough TWC cable setups, as I have helped setup video systems with cable cards at 3 friend's houses elsewhere in the city... TWC in the NY area does not offer any digital OTA channels unscrambled...in fact the channels they pass thru unscrambled are usually analog sent to channel numbers other than their actual broadcast numbers (meaning NBC4-NY is available on cable 12, CBS2-NY is on cable 3, etc.)...the only FCC rules applying to broadcast channels over cable that i am aware of is they are required to offer channels within a certain region or mileage area but not how they are to do it, maybe when the digital broadcast deadline arrives in the next year??

tvdude
Unregistered guest
Ok then...
SOME cable companies offer the OTA HD channels unscrambled (including mine which is Comcast)
Since jcr uses Comcast too, maybe it's a Comcast thing...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
looks like it and you are darn lucky becuz we have found that the included HD/ATSC/QAM tuners in the newer sets offer better quality pictures (much deeper colors) than recieving thru a cable box. Enjoy it, cheers tf

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone i am from Houston TX, i bought a satellite receiver DSR-8005 CI Premium the last time i was visiting Morocco with the dish and the whole shabang, but the problem is i can't get any signal for hotbird, arabsat and other international channels, can anybody tell what should i do exactely to have the signal, bear in mind, i don't know how to position the dish to the right direction, i have just tried different directions but in vain, i was out in the cold for the wholw afternoon, and by the way can i have the dish just on the ground in backyard or it has to be high up???? thnks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
you might want to post this in a thread involving satellites and/or free air reception ..this thread basicly involves using cable cards and hdtv reception via cable

Zeld
Unregistered guest
I also have comcast and hdtv internal tuner. Simply the cable from wall into the tv and picks up local HD such as 1.1 is NBC HD and 30.1 is PBS HD. Could not find 2.1 Fox or 84.1 Discovery yet. If you find any other HD channel numbers, could you post them? Thanks

Unregistered guest
In Atlanta Comcast Digital Cable, I could get HD channels using my Mitz WD-52525 internal tuner, these channels now have disappeared, intially one or two left now they are all gone...As stated they were much richer PQ than the motorola STB...anything I can do? Will a cable card bring them back...help

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Steve,

Just have your Mitsi search for all the channels again. As of Feb 1st they were remapped and so your TV does not know where they went.

xvxvxvx

Steve Capes
Unregistered guest
xvxvxvx

Thanks, have done that to no avail. In fact was trying to find more when I started and in each case it found less until the current zero digital channels are found. But from what I have read the cable card will not help, called Comcast and they acted dumb on getting these channels, it was easy for them...:-) are there any other ideas out there, or do I just seacrh on once a week cycle...cheers

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Steve,

What version of firmware do you have on your Mitsubishi? You can see what version it is by going to the menu, it should be in the lower right hand corner of your screen.

Steve Capes
Unregistered guest
.04, have newest in mail should be here tomorrow

Do you think this should help? I am just wondering if they started scrambling. But will try the FW upgrade path first.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
so they're sending you .05? hmmm, don't know if it's going to help your situation or not. Did you ever get an answer as to why you were receiving them then lost them?

Steve Capes
Unregistered guest
Wow, went from V24 04.004 to V25 04.005 and now get amazing amount of digital channels even the music ones along with all the old analog ones ...unfortunately not all the major feeds, abc, cbs, nbc I was hoping for. I guess next stop is OTA as I am only 15 miles from towers.
Anyone know how to use remote to put channel-sub channel in slection to TV? What a learning experience this is

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Good news is always nice to hear, as far as your second question I can't help ya there, but hopefully there is somebody with a Mitsu that can help here, if not try giving Mitsu customer service a call.

regards

SGR
Unregistered guest
I live in Charleston WV, Charter is our service provider and we have a Mitsubishi WD-52525 we have a box. Our tv (with out going through the box) all the sudden picked up a bunch of digital stations but almost all were blank, we got some of the music channels. We had TNT HD for a while and now its gone tv wont even go to the station anymore does anyone know why?

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 98
Zeld, it wouldn't do any good to post the channel numbers unless it was from a person in your area with your provider. For example, on Comcast in my area I have found CBS on 76-1 and ESPN-HD on 114-1. NBC and FOX are on 1.1 and 2.1 but I could never find ABC. Discovery is a premium channel so you can't get that without a STB or cable card.

Unregistered guest
Dear JCR and Thomas,

I have a similar 50' Panasonic unit and also get a few HD channels. I was wondering, is there anyway to install my own CableCARD rather than get involved with the cable company to do so? How can I get more channels? I live in Manhattan.

hi-phile
Unregistered guest
Steve Capes wrote:
"------------------------------------------------
Wow, went from V24 04.004 to V25 04.005 and now get amazing amount of digital channels even the music ones along with all the old analog ones ...unfortunately not all the major feeds, abc, cbs, nbc I was hoping for. I guess next stop is OTA as I am only 15 miles from towers.
Anyone know how to use remote to put channel-sub channel in selection to TV? What a learning experience this is "
--------------------------------
What you can do with your Mitsu is goto antennaweb.org and put in your zipcode/address then look at the column for digital stations 'Frequency' this number will translate into the correct Digital stations when input with the remote to 'change the channel', then store it in the TV and assign the Network Station ID in the tuner (at least my Mitsu WD-62525 does this). I'm running 4.00.04 FW, and i'm wondering if it's worth it to call Mitsu and get the latest .05?

hd curious
Unregistered guest
Hello there,

I recently purchased a Sony with and internal tuner and a $20 ota antenna. I was receiving all OTA HD channels but was also periodically receiving premium channels. The number of channels and viewing times were never consistent and there were several times where I would come across the "On-demand" channel and the cursor was moving through the menu on its own. I figured I was picking up someone else's signal. Does anyone have an idea of whats going on and maybe how to adjust the settings to permanently receive the premiums?

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 532
This is a common "problem"(not that it's a problem) with what I've been reading in different forums from people with CableCARD or DCR TV's. There is nothing you can do to lock it in place, so just enjoy the freebies when you can.

sheepdogg
Unregistered guest
Hello to all....
Just want to know what are all the HD channels, when you plug into the cable directly to TV with out a cable card. I live in NYC..(time warner Cable)
here is what i have NBC 1.1, FOX 2.1, discovery 84.1.... im looking for MSG and all the other local station in HD! thanks!

Username: Umasan

Stoneham, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 1
I recently got a Comcast HDTV cable box (DCT6200) and ATI HDTV Wonder. Upon ecamination of the box, only possible way to get digital signal from the box is via DVI connector. Unfortunately, the ATI HDTV tuner card has a coaxial F-type connection for digital input. Because OTA signal is too weak , I need to find the way to get the digital signal from the DCT6200.

Is anyone able to digitally record any program in a setting similar to mine?
The DCT6200 has a slot for a smart card but at the present there is no support for the slot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us