Brand new to the Big Screen TV world

Tiny
Unregistered guest
For years and years I have had only a 20 inch Panasonic TV, and I want to step up to the Big league's and get a Big Screen TV. The problem is, is that I don't know what the heck I am doing, I want something in the range of 40 inches to 60 inches. Rear- Projection, DLP, LCD, I have no idea what to get. Can anyone help me??? Any info would be great Thanks

Anonymous

STRATEGY A - TOTAL COST S/B AROUND $899 plus taxes for a great hi def picture on a 52 inch set, with a 1080i hi def picture. Great for a non-videophile beginner and even a set this nominally "cheap" can produce amazing detail and color on hi def feeds

If you want the best bang for the buck -great picture, but spend little dollars here is what you do:

1. you go to Walmart and check out their magnavox (no delivery avail per se) or for example CIRCUIT CITY. Circuit City w/b better in this case, because they bring it right into your house and set it up. Note Walmart sets always have terrible pictures, they don't believe in hooking them up properly

2. you ask for the following model
Magnavox 51" HDTV Monitor (51MP392H). Note this model comes with integrated stand and wheels, very useful to move around. You could actually drop 400 dollars plus for many stands required for other kinds of tv's. So you in effect get it free, and you access the cables up back easily by moving it

This is a basic model, but quite excellent detailed FOR ITS PRICE. This unit doesn't have extra fancy wires inputs etc, however it has COMPONENT HOOKUPS -all you need to hook HI DEF up

3. NEVER NEVER EVER BUY A WARRANTY NO MATTER WHAT THE SALESMAN SAYS - THEY ARE RIPOFFS. These sets will be the equiv of 600 dollars in a few yrs. The set comes with a one year parts and labor in house warranty from MAGNOVOX. Its important to note the salesman is trained/is will in fact try to hide this fact from you

4. now if you have Comcast Hi def service available or something equivalent -you will then have it made - because they have HI DEF BOXES ready to hook up (TO GET HI DEF YOU NEED A HI DEF BOX).

IF your cable company is not offering hi def - you will need a HI DEF SET TOP BOX - FOR OVER THE AIR SIGNALS, Samsung makes these (THIS IS A BIT COMPLICATED)

or better simply get DISH, DIRECT TV, or the new Sat hi def service VOOM

5. CIRCUIT CITY will generally match current Walmart price - which often goes as low as $899 for this unit

6. CIRCUIT CITY PRICE is usually in $999 range

7. BOTTOM LINE YOU GET A WONDER HDTV set - not too fancy -but will produce a great picture on the Hi Def channels on any cable or SATELLITE SERVICE

8. Point of my post is that you can get 80% of the benefit @ 20% of the cost

9. NOTE CIRCUIT CITY WILL NOT WANT TO SELL YOU THIS UNIT W/O SOME KIND OF "WARRANTY" . W/o you being foolish enough to buy the warranty, THIS IS LOSS LEADER - they will make probably less than 50 dollars profit. Its designed to bring people into the stores. Generally these basic tv's are rigged in the stores in such a way as to not show a TRUE HI DEF signal- however recently I did notice some Circuit City's actually showing these with an actual hi def signals, and they are good

STRATEGY B - LCD REAR PROJECTORS - SONY, HITACHI, PANASONIC all make decent 50 inch units - generally with a stand you will pay in the range of 2800 to 3500
GREAT SETS, BRIGHT PICTURES

NOTE: DLP'S in my opinion s/b avoided because of the "color wheel" risk. Warning - study this problem on your own, most salesman are slinging the bull big time with DLP is the 2nd coming. Bottom line, when can avoid a problem (whether real or not), then avoid it

on the issue of warranties:

If you walk in for example (buying a loss leader set particularly) all cash or with a check etc, you are much better off - because any delay during the purchase tranaction will give the Circuit City employees time to work special strategies on a designated a identified NEWBIE-NO WARRANTY BUYER. This could involve for example saying that their technical staff fix-it people may have to review the set etc before shipping. THE PURPOSE IS TO SELL YOU THE WARRANTY. THIS IS HOW BIG BOX STORES MAKE MONEY

Tiny
Unregistered guest
Can I hook-up a regular cable connection to the set or do I need a Box. I mean regular hook-up as in one coming outta the wall. Is the Hi-Definition worth the money. How often do the bulbs on the Rear Projection screen TV's need to be replaced?? Again any help is appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us