Archive through December 06, 2004

Username: Markus

Post Number: 7
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Angelog

Post Number: 12
Mr. Lynch .. regarding JVC and Toshiba DVD.

I ordered Comcast HD cable box due next week and and currently trying to descide between the Tosh 5970 and the Denon 1910.

So, I'm thinking about connections on the JVC.

I have a HarmanK AVR45 receiver and plan on putting all composite courses thru that (VHS, games, etc).

Now you had mentioned that the JVC's upscaler only worked on the HDMI input. So my logic is telling me that I should connect the Tosh/Denon DVD player to the HDMI and the cable to component (since it doesn't need upconversion).

What'ya think?

Ang

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 64
The only flaw i see in the jvc is NO Digital audio out, either optical or co.

There is no point in HDMI when u can't get the digital audio to your receiver dvi would do the job, or onboard hd tuner for the same reason. if you don't have a digital audio out you need the cable or satalite,s boxes anyway.... I'm realy thinking of this tv, I believe that the LCOS pitcure is the best, howver The sony tv's with digital out keep getting a second look,,,,....

The perfect setup and i hope some maufactures would make a version this way would be a receiver or pre/pro with 4 or 5 hdmi in's and 1 hdmi out. and a tv with a hdmi in. Hook your dvd to the receiver, your cable or satilte to the receiver, your xbox and ps2 to your receiver then hook your receiver to your tv :-) that is all i need and want. I can listen to cd's thru a dvd player so don't need an extra cd player, I guess you would need only 4 hdmi O wait 1 for the game cube as well, so 5. hehe, no need for analog :p (assuming the game systems have hdmi plugs :D

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 255
ANG-

The JVC converts all inputs to 720p.

Most upscaling DVD players only upscale though the DVI/HDMI output. The main reason to have the DVD player upscale is because it will upscale to 720p in the digital field, and then transmit the digital signal to the TV. The TV doesn't need to convert anything, just display it. No D/A, A/D convertions take place.

When you use a component connection, the DVD player converts the DVD from digital to analog at its native 480i/p, then it transmits the analog signal to the TV which then upscales it to 720p and coverts the signal from analog back to digital. Going though the D/A convertion, then a A/D convertion will add a slight bit of noise, so the picture will not be as sharp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Mr. L,

OK . thanks. So would you then agree that given the choice, I should connect the HD cable box to a component input and the DVD to the digital?

Ang

Username: Racingtoys

Post Number: 5
Grizzly,
I believe HDMI only does 2ch digital not 5.1, i could be wrong. I dont think its much of a problem since all devices I have seen that have a HDMI output has had a optical output.

Post Number: 6
Mr. Lynch,
I thought all DVI and HDMI connections were full digital (never any D/A ) so it didnt matter where the up convert happened, just depended on what had a better method of up converting, either the tv or the dvd player?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
ya cw i think you are right but if you go hdmi into the tv and pull audio from the tv to a receiver it will be analog with out digital out. Thus pointless, and that is why hdmi in tv is pointless except the sony's, dvi would do the job. I wounder if there is a price difference for manufactures for a dvi vs hdmi connection?

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 86
Grizzly- Why would yo want the set to have a digital out? Your receiver should handle that. I use my tv as only a monitor so it doesn't have anything to do with sound. Not sure if I missed something in your post.

Mr Lynch- Are you sure only upscaling happens in DVI/HDMI? I was under the impression my Zenith 318 upscales to 1080i over component.

New to the site
Unregistered guest
I am quite new to the board.
I will start my HD package with my cable company and they will come and install the HD box this weekend. Just wonder with port/input that I should hook the cable from the HD box into????????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
hehe then why have hdmi in tv's and dvd players??? If you hook your digital out from the dvd player and your cable box? to a receiver...

That is 20+ more for a hdmi vs dvi cable :p

THe different between the componet and the dvi/hdmi is that dvi there is no converting from digital to analog back to digital like component, also dvi/hdmi there is 2 less wires since componet has 3.

I guess there is no real reason to have a digital out in a tv once the receiver start equiping hdmi switching, once hdmi is in receivers there would realy be no need for any analog connections or any digital audio connection except for people with old equipment. :-)

Hopefuly manufactures will start producing hdmi only version of there products.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Well, my DVD has optical out and my cable box has digital out. So, I would;t need to have a TV with a optical out because the sound would come from the cable box, not the tv. As for the DVD players and TV's with HDMI, I think that's more picture related and HDMI is the next inline after DVI so everyone is going that route.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 256
I'm not saying ALL the upscaling DVD players only use the HDMI/DVI for the upscaled image, but the 2 players I have experience with do (Samsung/Toshiba). The main reason to use the HDMI input is to keep the signal all digital. Sometimes it looks better, sometimes it doesn't. The best thing to do is try the HDMI and Component and go with what looks best.

Once we start seeing some reasonally priced receivers with HDMI switching, hookups will be so much easier.

Post Number: 7
I think HDMI is for cable set top boxes or people who dont have a reciever or dont want to deal with 2 extra wires.

Average person wants to have only one cable to connect to their tv, but the only people who really buy HDTVs now are people who at least have some idea about how to use a reciever.

DVI with a reciever is better than just one HDMI (2ch vs. 5.1 or higher). I think HDMI is a waste they should have just stuck to DVI, its just a way for companys to make more money from us by making us buy new damm cables

New to the site
Unregistered guest
am quite new to the board.
I will start my HD package with my cable company and they will come and install the HD box this weekend. Just wonder with port/input in the rear of the TV that I should hook the cable from the HD box into????????

Bronze Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 24
Our Sears is having the 10% off everything sale this Sat.

I found the JVC 52" for $2700 on Amazon.

Do you think Sears will price match and then take the additional 10% off?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
RE:"am quite new to the board.
I will start my HD package with my cable company and they will come and install the HD box this weekend. Just wonder with port/input in the rear of the TV that I should hook the cable from the HD box into????????"

My cable (Comcast) runs component cables from the cable box to the TV.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 257
HDMI is NOT limited to 2 channels. It can carry a full 7.1 signal (8 channel audio). Since the JVC has no digital out and only 2 speakers, it can only use 2 channel audio. For more info in HDMI. Check out www.hdmi.com.

I read an article that stated 80% of people who buy HDTVs do not use use an external audio source (receiver). HDMI allows these people to hook up a DVD player using only 1 cable. It sounds good and simplifies things for the average comsumer.

The Movie/TV industry is pushing for HDMI due to Copyright protection. If it wasn't for that we would have simple firewire ports on everything. They transmit digital audio and video but have no copy protection. That's why when you see new TVs (z795) with Firewire it is an input only. You can not record from them.

Post Number: 8
Mr. Lynch,
Ahh ic I thought it was only able to do 2 channels, but the problem is still the same, tvs usualy only have 2 speakers so it would only be 2 channel, unless someone makes a tv that has a built in reciever so you could just plug in the speaker connections (which would prolly be over priced like some crappy sony dream system or even worse those bose cube speakers) which im sure will happen if it hasn't happened already.

Im suprized that 80% of HDTV owners dont care about 5.1

Doesnt DVI have HDCP from Intel or something like that?

Post Number: 8
Hey,

Just got my 52z575 like an hour ago and the out of box PQ isn't that great. First problem to overcome is it keeps (like every 30 seconds) switching to side by side images for no apparent reason.

Any ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Dave- Doesn't hurt to try, I would.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Mark Sullivan, hope you figure out the switching problem.

Any comments on the gray boarders with SD TV?

Post Number: 9
Haven't had time to decide if I will be bothered by it yet. I'm watching all HD channels and the switching problem is solved.

docjj
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch - I have been out of town, so I've been missing in action for a week. I have my Terk TV 55 antenna mounted in the attic, and it rocks!!! Awesome signals from all HDTV off air channels which come from two different locations in Buffalo NY area.

I was wondering if you or anyone has experience with the Samsung DVD-HD941 (not 841) that has the HDMI output and Faroudja scaler in it. I know and agree with the limitations of the HD841 and its DVI output. I am pretty happy with the component output as stated previously, but I was wondering if anyone had the 941 hooked up via HDMI outputing 720p direct to the JVC 51z585. If not, is there another universal player (DVD-audio and SACD) that is in similar price range to samsung that they use with this monitor. Thanks for the expected comments.

docjj
Unregistered guest
Rick Lyon - I have an Eveready Energizer UPS that is flat and has 8 outlets, 4 which are surge and UPS and 4 that are surge only with 3inches separating the plud sockets so that power cubes can be plugged in without blocking out any of the other outlets. It is model INTERNET750U and I got it at BJ's wholesale club for ~$65.00 and it's rated at 750.

docjj
Unregistered guest
Mark Sullivan - I think that you have your set in a demo mode where it compares the auto gamma setting to normal or something like that. It is on one of the several menu pages for video setup on the JVC menus. My set did not have the demo on by default, so I think that you might have inadvertantly set this demo to on in one of the menus. Unfortunately, my family room is being painted today and tomorrow, so my audio/video crap has been temporarily disconnected until the weekend. Therefore I cannot play with my set and reproduce your screen condition.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 259
docjj-

I moved my cheapo Radio shack antenna to the attic too, and the picture is not bad at all. I spent all day Saturday rewiring it so I could watch my beloved Seahawks in HD. CBS isn't offered here in HD except OTA. I got it all done just in time to watch your Bills put the smackdown on my team.

Username: Ehmjeiqt

Post Number: 2
CW,
that is my problem. my other tvs are better but they are smaller. the largest standard tv we have is 37" i think and it is okay. i dont know if i have to buy special cables coz its hdtv ready. isnt it suppose to be better than the standard tv coz is hd? even if you dont have special cable? or even if you are not subscribed to hdtv cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 23
OK ALL, HERE IS YOUR CHANCE!

Saturday Dec 4th 7-10 AM only, SEARS has 10% off everything in the store!

Bring your best local store price proof (business card quote or whatever), should be around $ 2850 for the 52".

Sears should price match with an additional 10% off of the difference, then at the cash register, they will take an another 10% off between 7-10am Saturday only 7am to 10am.
(Don't quibble or haggle, don't gaze at the set...just buy it! Sears don't usually have them set up right anyway)

If they are price matching $ 2850, The JVC 52" will come in around $ 2430 + tax and delivery. Discounts won't apply to extended warranties which are pricey. I used a credit card which doubled the manufacturers warranty.

Can't beat the deal, it's SEARS !

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Call your local Sears store to confirm the 10% off everything Dec 4th 7-10am.

This was on a Pacific Northwest Sears ad rec'd today Dec 3rd. Should be nationwide, I would think.

Bronze Member
Username: Grendon

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 11
Jim

I got my best price at BrandsMart $3,200 (cost) for the 61Z585 and went to Sears last night to get ready for Saturday. I was very disappointed that they had no 52Z585 or 61Z585, all they had was the 51Z575.

Luckly the difference at Sears (if they had it) would have been less tha $100 anyways. Brandsmart adds another $300 off the price if you pay .01 for VOOM installation and sign a 6 month contract.

I got the Black Swivel Stand (RKCILA5B) for $370 and the 3 year extended warranty for $230. I would have prefered Sears for their service but I don't think their extended warranty would have even been close to this price.

I anyone is interested in the 52Z575 SEARS IS THE PLACE TO BE THIS WEEKEND bet 7am-10am
COST price on the 52Z575 is $2,600 at BrandsMart
so any price below that is a GREAT DEAL.

Just wish Sears carried the 61 in black :-(

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

OH, yes the Sears sale is in Florida also. I guess this means nationwide :-)

Happy Shopping
Gus

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
JVC arrives today between 2:30-4:30.

I bought the Denon 1910 DVD player with DVI out CDDi.

Installed my HK AVR510 receiver (a little old, but does DTS and DD and has component video switching (I have to check if it will handle HD frequencies).

I had a Klipsch C-1 center and Klipsch Quintet satelites, so I bought the Klipsch 10" SW and a pair of new B-2 bookshelves .. kept the speakers in the same family.

Carlos Santana never sounded so good.

Ang

Post Number: 10
DOCJJ,

Thanks, I think you may be right. I managed to get it to stop doing the split screen and I may very well have done as you said. The HD PQ also got much better. I've got alot of work to do this weekend. I have to reconnect all of my equipment and try and tweak the TV PQ. Watched some of Superbit Spiderman2 last night and it was AMAZING! Can't wait to get it set up just right! Big change from my 27 in Trinitron!

Mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Mark,

I played A LOT with these sets over the past weeks ... tweeking the settings as compared to the best DLP's. Here's what I found made them look best ..

For HD content via component:

Turn off Noise Reduction
Turn off Auto Gamma
Keep on Color Mgmt
Low Color Temp (for me .. but you might like high)

Put all settings to the middle, then bump up

Contrast about 1/3 to max
Color a little
Detail (just a few steps).
Brightness depending on your ambient lighting

Hope that's helpful

Ang

Anonymous

Well, Folks I have been looking at this set myself and like what i have seen and heard. I have somewhat of a concern that the standard defintion (SD) may not be that good. Could anyone shed some light on what you have expereinced.

Thanks in advance

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 261
The SD PQ will depend a lot on your signal, but I feel it is fairly decent. I've posted pics of SD several different times you might want to checkout.

For anyone thinking about getting a large screen HDTV, please understand what you are getting into. If you do not have/plan to get HD channels, you will probably be disappointed with any of the new Digital HDTVs. It is like buying a Ferarri, but only driving around a parking lot. You won't get the full benefits of what it was designed for.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Angelo,

I'll play with these settings tonight. Thanks for the tips. Does anybody know what needs to be done to configure the HD cable box? Or does it detect devices and send an appropriate signal?

I am using component from the HD cable box to the tv but am wondering if I have to set anything in the cable box like 1080i versus 720p.

I want to buy an HDMI DVD in the near future and connect it thru HDMI but this will have to wait. I just hope I don't experience the same problems the other gentleman had with his november build 575.

Mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I saw that November build post.
I don't want to argue or dispute it, however these units are made in Asia, aren't they?

(I import idustrial products, full containers from Asia)

Time from manufacturing site to port for container loading is 3-4 days.
Ocean vessel transport to the West coast is 12-14 days.
Customs clearance takes a 3-4 days
Then they must be transported (trucked) to the appropriate vendors warehouses, and re-shipped to the customer.
That person posted in late November, so if that set was indeed made in Asia in November, it must have been made November 1st and experienced the fastest shipment ever seen!

Not to mention the west coast container ship offloading delays that occured in November.

If I am wrong I sincerely apologize (in advance).

Bronze Member

Jim,

The first thing I checked when my 575 came out of the box last night was the build date and mine also was tagged as being made in November 2004.

You sound like you know what you're talking about but thems the facts! ; - )

Is it possible the date isn't representative of product assembly date? Or not a very accurate one?

Mark

HS
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch or anyone:
Does anyone know whether there will be any difference in the picture quality between the HD service from cable company and HD receiving from satellite as DISH network?
Any pros and cons by going with cable or DISH?
Thank you so much!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Well, my apoligies,
JVC is setting records getting product to vendors!

HS
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch or anyone:
Does anyone know whether there will be any difference in the picture quality between the HD service from cable company and HD receiving from satellite as DISH network?
Any pros and cons by going with cable or DISH?
Thank you so much!!!!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 263
HS-

I'll have to get a bit technical here, but I hope it makes sense.

The FCC limits TV broadcasts to a maximum bandwidth of 18mbps. That means all HD content needs to be compressed atleast 40-1 to fit this restriction. The PQ will depend on the compression used. I'd contact the cable company and the satellite company and find out what they broadcast.

Here is Seattle with Comcast, the all HD channels (INHD, INHD2, Discovery HD) are broadcast at the full 18mbps and tend to look the best. ABC, NBC, FOX, broadcast the HD and SD signal together. SD takes 3mbps, so that leaves 15mb for HD which results in higher compression. The HD shows still look very good, but do not have the same "wow" factor as the pure HD channels.

Bronze Member

Jim,

I don't know if I should be impressed or worried by this!

Mark

soon to be an owner
Unregistered guest
Just a simple question. Everyone keeps saying that the 52z575 does not have a tuner to recieve HDTV OTA, but if you look at Amazon or J&R, they both list that it has a ATSC tuner. Am I missing something here?

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

WELL IT'S FINALLY DONE
bought the 61Z585 at BrandsMart will be delivered Sunday. If anyone needs a .pdf copy of the invoice for a price match, contact me at grendon@bellsouth.net

TV $3,200
Stand $370
3 yr Warranty $228

You'll have to find a place that price matches and also carries the 61Z585 :-(

Thanks to all that made this decision possible.

Gus

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 265
Amazon is wrong. The 575/585 has an NTSC tuner, but no ATSC tuner.

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

Mr. Lynch:

Have you found that the SD5970 connected via HMDI is the best product out there for this TV ?

I am going with your suggestion to hook up the DVD on HMDI and the Voom box via comp.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 266
Gus-

for under $200 the only upscaling DVD players I know of are the Samsung hd841, and the Toshiba SD5970. I tried a Samsung for about 2 days and it was horrible so I took it back. I bought the Toshiba about a week later, and I've been really happy with it. I paid $180, and it comes with the HDMI cable. You can read mine and others experience with the unit here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/94244.html

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I can tell you that you will not get audio out of the HDMI connection. And, no one seems to be able to tell me why. So you will use component cables and analog audio with it if you are going through the TV.

HS
Unregistered guest
Dear GUS:
Congratulations!
What about the delivery fee?

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

HS:
39.00 for delivery and installation for the TV.
9.00 for the TV stand.

HS
Unregistered guest
Gus:
This is great -- I believe that this is also tax-free, correct?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 267
Gus:

What stand did you get?

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 16
HS:
No the total was 4077.69 that included tax. BUT I DID GET another $300.00 for getting VOOM for 6 months :-) so 3777.69 was not bad for the 61"

Mr. Lynch:

The JVC stand in black 500 retail RKCILA5B

Gus

HS
Unregistered guest
Thanks -- GUS.

BTW, Mr. Lynch -- How much does it cost for your cable (comcast) in Seattle with HD package?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 268
Comcast bends me over and takes $122 a month for High speed cable internet, HD Digital cable w/7 HBO channels, The HD tuner and all the taxes and that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Mr Lynch- They don't make it anymore or sell I think, but a few months ago i got the Zenith 318 and it was only $150 and upscales to 1080i. I had to get it just for the price, an upscaling DVD player for $150!? It's quite nice tho I've heard it crushes whites slightly on DVI. They recently released it without the 1080i because of the movie industry and now they don't even sell it anymore. I'm lucky I got it when I did. Can't wait to see it on the JVC playing a superbit DVD.

Post Number: 9
Jim,
From what i can tell the JVC is made in Mexico

Post Number: 10
jhoie cabral,
If you plug in a HDTV and a regular non-HDTV into an analog source, the non hdtv will most always have a better picture since it is running in its "native resolution" (480i). HDTV sets are forced to upconvert this signal to its native, in this case the jvc upconverts to 720p. The picture quality up converted to 720p from 480i is not the same as a source that is "real" 720p.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Pic's of my setup:

JVC HD52Z575 D-ILA TV
MOTOROLA 6412 DVR CABLE BOX (COMCAST)
HARMON KARDON AVR 235
PANASONIC S35 DVD
SONY VHS (OLD)
Fronts 2 AR 2ax 3 way speakers (reconed)
Surrounds 2 AR 4xa 2 way speakers (reconed)
Center Paradigm CC-270
KLH 12" powered Subwoofer

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
How about a picture of a SD broadcast showing gray or black side bars?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Those types of pics have already been posted. See above and in the archives.
Besides, you won't get a true feel for SD unless you are actually there.

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 17
Mr Lynch
Got the Toshiba DVD today at Best Buy for 158.95. Can't beat that since it includes the HDMI cable. Looked at monster cables, they wanted $100 - $150 Are they CRAZY!!!!

TV gets delivered Tommorrow, OH also picked up the DVI DVD for the set up at Best Buy for 19.99. All ready !!! :-)

I went to Sears, CompUSA, Best Buy & Circuit City could not find any 52Z585 or 61Z585 and when they did have the 52Z575, they wanted more than what I paid for my 61Z585.... I am just glad all this shopping is over and I can start enjoying the TV tommorrow.

Gus

Malcolm
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch: you have a pretty good handle on this JVC set. I have a question regarding receiving HDTV-OTA. You advise that the JVC only has an NTSC type tuner and no ATSC tuner, but our local stations boadcast their Digital-SDTV and HDTV signals on a different channel to their NTSC signal. Therefore would I expect to pick up HDTV & Digital-SDTV utilizing a DirecTV tuner? For HDTV I will have satellite service which also provides local channels in SDTV ONLY (cable has no HDTV available at all!) -- or am I out-of luck for HDTV-OTA?
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Saw a 52Z575 in person. SD picture, yup there are gray side bars vs. black like on my Mitsubishi. I have a theory* as to why.

I also asked when would the Z795 series be out and the salesman stated that the JVC rep said next year (for what the answer is worth).

* From the owners manual:
"10. ILA element characteristics
Do not project still pictures or pictures that have still segments for a long period of time. The still parts of the picture may remain on the screen. This is a characteristic of ILA elements and not a malfunction. The picture will disappear over time."

My theory: By using gray boarders, this may help prevent this temp. burn in affect if SD is watched for a long period of time.

PS: The wheels are in motion for the return of my Mitsu (rainbows).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Another observation with see the JVC in person that has me concerned. While viewing a SD image QVC to be exact, the SD image was terrible compared to my Mitsubishi.

Now they has about 100 TV's off a splitter but who knows, I should have looked at another set that was also showing an SD image.

Username: Johannson

Post Number: 1
Response to docjj question: I have a Samsumg 941 connected HDMI to HDMI to my 61Z585 and set to 720p output. Hellboy and Kill Bill Vol. 1 looked fabulous.

I've been to busy too do my own tweaking and borrowed Mr. Lynch's settings from a few weeks ago, and they look fine to me. Also agree that SD PQ is decent (cable).

I purchased an August 2004 built 61Z585 which was outstanding for HD TV (The Denver-Oakland game in the snow storm was visually captivating). I didn't get my Samsumg 941 until a week after, and when I connected HDMI to HDMI only all I got was a green screen with no Samsung logo or setup displayed. I exchanged the JVC for what turned out to be an October 2004 built 61Z585. I connected with the 941 and had no problems, and the results above.

Username: Jvc4me

NY

Hi everyone. After a lengthy and somewhat painfull decision making process I decided to purchase the JVC 52Z575 online this past weekend. I ended up purchasing it from pac-2000 for a total price of $3129, which includes the following: TV, JVC Stand and "White Glove" shipping. Hopefully by the end of this week it will arrive at my home. I am not sure if I can wait that long. Hopefully the delivery will go smooth. The wife will want me to wait until Christmas to actually use it, so that wait might be even worse that the shipping process... LOL.

Thanks to this board for all of your help in fine tuning (no pun intended) my decision. I will be using Time Warner Cable's HD DVR box hooked to the TV with, most likely component cables. I have also purchased from the local Office Max a $30 Belkin 500VA UPS Surge protector that I have already begun to charge. I hope that my TV does not freeze to death in its long journey from Washington state to New York state. I hear the Midwest is cold this time of year. Anyone know what temp the LC Layer begins to freeze? Also, what do you current owners do to keep your JVC clean and is there any concern for dust entering the TV and contaminating the light pathways at any point?

Once again... thanks for the help and I will let you know when my block of ice is delivered. Mabye I should start making some hot cocoa for its arrival.

Bronze Member

TOSH 5970 QUESTION.

If you connect to your HDTV via hdmi (which is both audi and video feed) can you still run a digital optical or coax to your reciever? I wnat the hdmi PQ but still want to utilize my surround setup thru my reciever.

Mark

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 18
Received the 61Z585 Today, all I can say is WOW
Voom will not be installed until 12/23 so I have to do with regular Adelphia Cable. Watched the Dolphins blow another game and the picture was very good.
BUT when I hooked up the Toshiba SD5970 via the HDMI!!!!! WOW what a AWESOME PICTURE. Watched a few DVDs and just sat there in AWE.

Mr Lynch:
Could you quickly run thru your setting, they must have been archived and I can't find them.

Gus

Upload
Upload

Username: Indyjake

Thanks to everyone for the best thread on the web. (But it should be titled "Mr. Lynch's Neighborhood".) This is my first post but I've been silently following it the last week or so, and catching up on old posts when time permits. Before finding this thread I had eliminated the JVC in favor of the Sammy. Low an behold, I just bought the 52Z585! (And my wife tells me I'm inflexible!) I got it at HH Gregg for $2,850 ($3,021 after tax) and it gets delivered in three days when their new shipment arrives.

As you all (especially Mr. Lynch) were so helpful in my decision I thought I'd throw out a couple of bits of info myself, for what they're worth. First, burn-in. I'm a lawyer and thus don't don't trust anyone. I have to get it in writing. So I emailed JVC asking about their burn-in warning in the Users Guide. Here's the email response I received (which goes in the file with my extended warranty, etc.):

"We would like to thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry to JVC.

The mention of the Screen Burn-In is a misprint in the manual. This problem will not occur with this technology.

If you require further assistance please contact the JVC Customer Care Center directly at 1-800-252-5722 between 9AM-10PM Eastern Time, 7 days a week.

If you need assistance with an operational issue, it is best to have access to your JVC system while speaking to our support group. They will be glad to assist you.

Thank you,
JVC Email Response Team"

Second, about the rainbow effect and the differences between LCD, DLP and D-ILA, JVC's professional site has an excellent video that explains it all in regard to front projection systems. I believe it equally applies to rear projection. It explains it all in layman's terms, almost as well as does Mr. Lynch. Go to: http://pro.jvc.com/pro/flash/dila/jvc-projector.htm

HS
Unregistered guest
Gus:
How far from the TV set is your sofa, etc?
I want to make sure that my distance from the TV is optimal.
Thank you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Gus-Cool setup. One question tho, is that Armageddon screen looks blue and green. Is that like that in the movie? Looks weird.
Can't believe the fins lost another either :-(

Bronze Member

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 19
For all those interested, the "born on date" of my 61Z585 is October 2004.

HS:
My Sofa is 15' from the television and that is why I decided to go with the 61" instead of the 52". That and the fact that I could get the 61Z585 for $2,900 after rebates made it a no brainer.

Rick: That is the way this scene in the movie is. My wife also watched stepford wifes and the colors were amazing.

Needless to say WE ARE VERY HAPPY with our decision to go with this JVC set. Thanks to all that helped and especially Mr. Lynch.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 269
Nice looking sets guys!!! I like the pix. It is cool to see how other people have set up there JVCs. It sounds like A LOT of people have been their sets this past week.

Mr. Swantz-
Pac 2000 is not far from my house. If you have any problems with them I can drive up and smack them around for you. I know a few people that have used them and had really good results.

Mark S.-
About the Tosh DVD player. I run the HDMI to my TV, and an optical cable from the DVD player to my receiver. Just make sure you turn off the TVs internal speakers. Also, In the menu, I use "digital-in -size 1". Size 2 has more overscan and you lose some of the edges, but the black bars on the top and bottom are smaller.

Gus-
Nice deal on the set. I see the 61" for $4500 in the stores around here. I attached my TV "settings", if you don't have excel, I'll try to repost it in another format.
application/vnd.ms-excelUpload
jvc.xls (16.9 k)

My ISF cert. friend is sending me the JVC service manual on CD. I should get it tomorrow, and I'll post anything good I learn from it.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 270
Same JVC setting as above, just in a WORD file.
application/mswordUpload
jvc.doc (94.7 k)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Jim,

>> Pics of your setup.

Gotta get those speakers separated further. The R/L speakers should be the same distance appart as the distance from your viewing position to your center channel.

It will make a HUGE difference.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Everyone,

Got it delivered on Friday afternoon. (52").

Things are looking pretty darn good. I don't have HD yet .. Comcast coming Thursday.

I bought the Denon 1910 upscaling and watched Spiderman and Finding Nemo (and used the THX setup to get things close .. by the way .. where do you get the THX blue setup glasses?).

I am in the digital video business and have a very accute eye for color and compression artifacting and also general picture quality.

Over all, I think the set is very good (again... just watching upscaled DVD's at 720p). I am noticing 2 things that are a little bothersome and wonder if anyone else is seeing it.

#1) Color banding
I see this especially in computer graphic scenes in both Spiderman2 and Finding Nemo in areas where there is a constant color ... sky for instance. I can not determine if this is an MPEG2 color artifact or a problem with the TV rendering 24-bit color depth.

As a note, it is exasperated by both the auto-gamma and the auto-color feature. I've turned them both off.

#2) I seem to have a slight tendency to green in dark areas. I especially see this in dark scenes featuring black actors. This is very subtle and I know noone else with me watching deserned it.

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu to tweek the green?

Over all though .. pretty amazing picture. Finding Nemo is spectacular .. 3D really .. which is amazing considering that it's an upscaled DVD.

Thanks

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
PS

I know we're keeping track. Born-on Date Oct'04

Ang

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 272
Nice write-up about LCoS-

The most promising thin-screen rear-projection sets use still-newer technologies based on LCoS (liquid-crystal-on-silicon) chips. JVC has a variation called D-ILA (Direct-Drive Image Light Amplification); Sony's is called SXRD (Silicon X-tal [Crystal] Reflective Display). The principle here is similar to DLP, except the pixels are packed more densely. Since there's less space between pixels, light gets absorbed more efficiently, which creates a richer and more seamless image--no screen doors or rainbows. And, like the DLPs, they never wear out.

The full article can be found here:http://slate.msn.com/id/2110469/#ContinueArticle

Unregistered guest
Hi again:

Before I start, I would like to agree that this is probably the most informative thread I've ever seen on the web for any one product. Mr. Lynch convinced me to purchase the JVC after my last set of questions. In the couple weeks since I last posted here, I accomplished several things that have prompted me to ask a few new questions..

We have just built a new house in Naples, FL. The info on BrandsMart is much appreciated since the Sawgrass store is only about an hour away. Anyway, in my previous post, I mentioned that I have an Hitachi CRT rear-projection TV in my Ohio house. Until last week, this was my only experience with HDTV capable sets, and, as an apparent member of some majority, I had no experinece with receivers or surround sound.

I did a substantial amount of research and bought a Denon 2805 receiver. The thing that swayed me to the Denon was the fact that it had 3 component video input sets, and one component video out set. I had resigned that I would use whatever TV I got in a monitor-only mode. Additionally, the other unique thing that the JVC does in the video path is that it up-converts anything coming in on either composite video inputs or s-video inputs to the component outputs. Thue, the Denon would make things easier for my wife to comprehend, and I like the idea of having the receiver handle all fo the switching.

As I got deeper into the surround sound issue, I realized that for home theater use, the requirements for a subwoofer were somewhat different than for audiophile music listening. After about 2 weeks of sorting out the bull from the truth. I personally spoke with Dr. Hsu at Hsu research and he talked me into purchasing one of his VTF-3 subwoofers (which I find astonishing).

In addition to the main TV for the home theater, I also decided that I would buy a small LCD TV for the bedroom. I was in San Jose, CA a couple weeks ago and took some time goig to Fry's and other electronics stores to see what was available in the apx. $1K range. I compared various offbrand Asian (Olevia, Norcent) to sets by Philips, Samsung, and others. By chance I wanderedc into Circuit City who had an Apex 27" HDTV-LCD advertized in their flyer. After takling the manager into letting me open one to check out, and after setting it up next to the 26" Sony LCD and a 26" Maganavox, I, and everybody who came by, was amazed by how much better the Apex looked than either of the other two sets. Considering that the Apex was about $800 to $1000 less than the others, it seemed like a really good deal. I ended up buying oe at Sears for $995.

Since I am still waiting for the new JVC to be released, I decided to set a temporary system up using the Apex in lieu of the JVC, since, except for the fact that the digital connection to the Apex is DVI, and that it also has a VGA input, the connectivity of the two TVs is pretty much identical. I then connected the Apex component inputs to the Denon's outputs. I then set up my Pioneer DVD player (which I will use exclusively for DVD-A and SACD) to the external 7.1 analog audio inputs of the Denon and to an aux s-video input (for viewing video content on DVD-As). I then connected my Philips DVD player (that literally plays everything including DIVX and XVID) to one of the Denon component inputs and one of the optical audio inputs. Then I connected my main DVD player (a Panasonic that faithfully plays all of the DVD-Rs I have burned over the years) to another set of component inputs and another optical audio input of the Denon. Finally, I connected the Comcast HD-Digital cable box to the remaining component video input and another optoical audio input. Since the Denon was my first experience with this sort of receiver, I can't compare its flexibility with others, but I was amazed how easily the thing went together.

Another thing that the Denon does it it calibrates the speakers in the surround setting automatically using a small platter microphone which is supplied with the unit. The microphione comes with a standard tripod video mounting hole so it easily affixes to a tripod for getting the micrpophone placed at the nearly exact position in space where my ears are when sitting in the room. The setup is kind of neat. It calculates where each of the surround speakers are in reference to the listening area and adjusts for both delay and room EQ. My surround speakers are all mounted in the ceiling, and the Denon accurately measured the distance that they were located from the microphone. After setting the crossover for the subwoofer to 65Hz, I played a DVD-A of Yes' "Fragile" and a SACD of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" (Two selections I have been intimately familiar with for over 30 years). This was my first experinece with listining to familiar musc in a surround remix. Two things were proved to me (a) Music can sound more rich this way, and (b) the Hsu sub was, indeed, very musical.

The folowing evening, my wife and I watched HArry Potter 3. The soundfield was amazing and I could hardly believe how violently the sub shook the room (really, my wife thought the walls were coming down during one scene). The next day, Comcast authorixed the cable box and I got to look at TV on the Apex.

Sorry to take so long getting to this, beut here is where my questions came up.

I have been following the black bar/ gray bar issue in this thread. Over the 3 yeasrs that I have had the Hitachi, I had become accustomed to viewing SD TV in Hitachi's version of "stretch mode" in order to minimize the effects of "underburn" of the side gray bars. The Apex has a stretch mode that appears to function similarly to the Hitachi, but I found that the distortion at the sides was much more pronounced than the Hitachi. For program material where things happen at the sides, it made the picture unwatchable. I also found that (what I assume is a function of fixed pixel formats) using the zoom mode of a DVD player to fill the leterbox bars in a less than 16x9 display leads to pikes distortion similar to what you see when you run a computer LCD display outside of its native resolution. This led to two questions...

When viewing SD material, does the JVC have a "stretch" mode? If it does, how had is the distortion on the sides of the image?

Does the JVC have a method of filling the screen in tight letterbox situations? Will using the DVD zoom function cause native-pixel effects as I have seen on the Apex?

Mr Lynch or somebody mentioned that the multiple digital/analog/digital conversions that occur when using the component inputs leads to distortion in comparison the HDMI inputs of the JVC. Given the way I have the system connected, will this be an Issue I should consider?

One final question, again concerns contrast in the JVC's image. The publishers Computer World magazine recently launched a sister publication called Digital World which is supposed to bring the relatively unbiased perspective of Computer World to the consumer electronics arena. Flying back to Ohio from Florida the other day I picked up Computer World at a newsstand at the airport. This month's issue contained the December (aka "Holiday") issue of Digital World. In the issue they compared the JVC set to the newest Samsung and Mits DLP sets. While the JVC was regarded as having the best and most natural color and vividness, a remark was made that the set was downgrades because "no mater how the controls were adjusted, contrast was a severe issue". The referenced the fact that blacks nad grays just melded together as an solid mass which could not be corrected. I feel that this may be an important issue to me since my initial inclination to the Samsung sets were the amazing amount of detail they provide when, say, viewing a woman in a black evening dress against a very dark background. Without resorting to theoretical contrast ratios, has anybody who actually has a JVC set noticed this lack of contrast detail? I tend to trust reviews in Computer World, so I consider this important.

Sorry for the long digression leading to the questions. But if anybody is looking for a second HD set for their bedroom or other smaller viewing environment, I can, without hesitation, recommend the 27" Apex xet. It plays SD content extremely well. DVDs are incridebly vivid. As would be expected in a 600:1 contrast ration LCD, full resoultion HD content is simply amazing.

Again thanks in advance for bearing with this.

Moss Parker

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Moss,

>> While the JVC was regarded as having the best and most natural color and vividness, a remark was made that the set was downgrades because "no mater how the controls were adjusted, contrast was a severe issue". The referenced the fact that blacks nad grays just melded together as an solid mass which could not be corrected. I feel that this may be an important issue to me since my initial inclination to the Samsung sets were the amazing amount of detail they provide when, say, viewing a woman in a black evening dress against a very dark background.

If the reviewers has the auto gamma on, not properly setup the unit's brightness and contrast .. this is true. Also, I found the auto-color had an effect on dark area rendition too.

Turn everything "auto" off, set up the TV and it should do quite well comparitively.

Ang

Username: Gbower

Kanata, Ontario Canada

I'm new on this forum although I've been reading it for a few weeks now. Have just purchased the 52Z585 and anxiously awaiting delivery. They were on back order so hopefully it will get here in the next week or so. Just went out today and upgraded my PVR to the SA8000HD so I'm all set once it gets here. Was wavering back and forth with either this set or the Hitachi Cineform 50" and with the two side by side I really liked the JVC better and as the price had just dropped and the stand was nicer and included I made the jump. I sure hope I'm not disappointed. Currently have a 36" Panasonic GAOO so this will be a nice step up.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 273
mosspa,

The JVC has 4 modes for standard def TV.

Normal: 4:3 picture, gray bars on the sides
Full: evenly stretch picture
Panaramic- Only the edges are stretch
Cinema- the picture is zoomed in, it fills the full screen but cuts the top/bottom off.

In it's factory settings, the dark details of the JVC are a bit lacking like the review said. With a few quick adjustments you can get a lot better results. By Adjusting the brightness and Dynamic Gamma you can get a very satisfying picture. Just turning off the D.G. a big difference.
When you get the brighness setup properly I personally feel the D.G. ads a bit more dark contrast. It all comes downt to personal taste.

Mr Sparks
Unregistered guest
I had a chance this weekend to see the 52" JVC side by side with new RCA, Samsung's and Toshiba at Best Buy. I believe they had all the TV's well tweaked, as all pictures were excellent. It's amazing how close in picture quality all are. Yet, my wife liked the JVC and so did I. I think because of the brightness of the set - colors looked a little better also. Perhaps it was setup a little brighter? I should have checked the settings. Anyway, dark scenes on the JVC were also clearer, compared to the others. In dark scenes detail was not lost on the JVC, while other TV's the contrast in dark scenes lacked. But only in comparison. All set looked good. All sets showed pixelation in sport scenes.
I like the JVC idea of not having a moving color wheel. I also find it's a good sign that the JVC thread has less repair issues than any other projection thread I've read.

One of my concerns in buying a unique TV such as the JVC, is future support. It is the only LCOS D-ILA set on the market. Do any of you have any information on JVC's future plans for continuance of this model line? Avaiability of parts? Support issues, repairs stories, etc?

Thanks for any feedback.

Mr Sparks
(I was an electrical contractor years ago, thus Mr Sparks)

ELH
Unregistered guest
Mr.Lynch, others...

I'm currently debating whether or not to
purchase a new DVD player. I currently have a Pioneer DV-727... It is not progressive scan, but does have component output... I suspect that sometime next year the HD-DVD or BluRay players will be out... so I'm trying to decide if I should wait or not... I have a 61" JVC DILA...

I'm wondering if you have compared the PQ using the Toshiba SD-5970 (which has progressive and upconverts internally) to a DVD player that relies on the JVC to do the de-interlacing (progressive scan) and upconverting to 720p to display...

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thanks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 274
Mr. Sparks-

JVC and Sony are the only 2 companies using LCoS at the moment. Each has their own special version of it. DiLA (JVC) and SXRD (Sony). Philips single chip LCoS sets are still available, but are no longer being manufactured. The Sony is only avalible in a 70" version, and it over 10k.

JVC has been using DiLA technology since about 98' in front projectors. Both in 720p and 1080p versions. They plan on producing the Rear projection models for sometime to come. This time next year you should start seeing JVC rear-projection 1080p DiLA sets.

Parts and repairs are readily available, and JVCs support has been top notch. The people that have needed repairs have all stated that they were very happy with the service.

I read a lot of the different threads, and the JVC is one of the few sets that I have not seen any "dead" set problems. It seems that most the problems that do occur, are minor, and the set is still usable until repairs are made. I'd hate to spend 3k on a TV, only to have it sit dead in the living room waiting for repair. Samsung DLPs seems to have a very high rate of failure compared to the other major brands.

Bronze Member

Mr. Lynch,

Good to know...about the HDMI. I was concerned that the audio signal being transmitted via hdmi might somehow preclude another audio source from being used.

You say you are using an optical audio from the DVD player to the reciever? Is this more efficient that say a digital coax?

Mark

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 275
ELH-

I've compared movies on the Toshiba SD5970 (720p) vs. my Xbox (480i, non progressive). The Xbox looks damn good, and I think most people would be very happy with it. When you start looking more closing you will notice a big difference.
Here are some things I compared, and what I saw.

Finding Nemo- Deep ocean in the beginning-

Xbox- slight color banding in the dark blue water, you could see distinct color seperation in the different blues of the water.

SD5970- The water color had a smoother look. The dark to light blue water was well blended with no distinct lines as the color lightens

DareDevil- DareDevil is standing on a building with the moon over his shoulder-

Xbox- Around the moon the glow looked bad. You could see what looked like someone colored different layers from white to gray to black.

SD5970- The sky had a smooth transition from the bright white glow of the moon, to inky black sky.

Star Wars: AOTC- Astroid belt chase with Obi Wan and Jango fett-

Xbox- when the first giant astroid is destroyed, the fragments pixelate very badly, and the Jedi starfighter looks choppy and jaggie.

SD5970- The fragments are much more detailed and distinct and they fly apart. Pixelation is very slight with them, but the Starfighter maintains sharp details.

I think a big reason the SD5970 looks better might not be so much the upscaling, but more due to the HDMI connection. When I leave the SD5970 in 480p mode, I do not really see a difference between it and the 720p mode. I think the JVC upscaler does a damn good job.

Strati
Unregistered guest
ELH,

Toshiba has announced that their HD DVD Player will be launched third quarter 2005 at aprox $795.

This is no different that any other technology. Early adopters will pay the most with limited media to play on their new toy.

You will definitely notice a big diference switching to a Progressive Scan DVD player.

As for DVD players that upcovert to 720P; it all depends on whether your TV currently does it. If it doesn't and your TV supports 720P, it's a great buy. If your TV upconverts, then you will have to judge for yourself if the upconversion done by the DVD player is superior than the upconversion done by your TV.

There are great buys right now for the holidays. Buy one and try it out. You have nothing to loose but much to gain for very little $$$.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 276
Mark S-

I notice no difference with either Digital coax or optical cables. My receiver has 2 optical inputs, and 1 digi coax. I run optical from my xbox, digital coax from my HD tuner, so that left 1 optical input open which I used for the DVD player.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
So if they intend to market 1080p D-ILA's will this coincide with HD providers sending a 1080p signal? Are some providers doind 1080p now or is 720p or 1080i the current standard?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 277
Mark S.

Broadcasters are still trying to get 720p/1080i right. The industy now has until 2009 to upgrade everything to HD 720p/1080i, so we are still very early in the HD cycle.

1080p has a HUGE bandwidth, and will not be broadcast by anyone for many, many years. The only way to take atvantage of 1080p will be the upcoming HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Considering the fact it has taken standard DVDs 10 years to become mainstream, I don't see the new standards taking hold for sometime. It will be expensive, and the selection will be very limited for the next few years.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
ELH,

I've got a $250 Denon 1910 DVD right now. I'm going to pickup a Toshiba 5970 on the way home today and compare the pic's.

I'll post in the next day or so the differences if any.

I will specifically be looking for differences in ..

- antialiasing and motion in 720p
- MPEG artifacts and color banding backgrounds
- black level (Denon goes to 0 IRE .. blacker than broadcast NTSC black ... not many do).

This DVD player is also a place holder for a future HD DVD player.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
angelo- I've never heard your statement about L/R speakers need to be spaced as equal to your seating distance. I just don't have 6' on either side of my TV to even try that. I was under the impression as long as they are symmetrically placed to your CC/TV you were fine. Some people put their sub next to the tv on one side moving the side speaker further away on one side of the set. I see that all the time.

Mr Lynch- as for the Xbox as a DVD player, I've read that's about as low a player that can be used.

Mr Sparks
Unregistered guest
I found moving left and right speakers apart gives really good separation of sound. The sound moves all over the room - very cool. I like to place my sub by the couch, which helps to give a feeling of being surrounded by the sound. Video and audio are subjective, so do what ever makes you happy - break the rules if needed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Okay they are picking up my Mit 52725 this Saturday. I have a Z585 on hold (no money down) with a price so far of $2999 + $499 5-year warranty with bulb replacement.

Anyway, any suggestion for waiting for the Z795 series (called JVC, next year Jan.).

I like the idea of having extra inputs such as the firewire. have no use for it now, but perhaps down the road. Anyone know what would use it? DVR?

Tunner, no use now, and would die if a fan was requiured to run ALL the time like my Mitsu.

Just looking to go or wait, tuff now (this weekend) to be back to a $100 27 inch.

I have a hard requirement for a cabinet size no wider than 50 inches, and NO DLP, rainbows. The Mitsu and the JVC mount speakers low so a nice width.

Thanks

HS
Unregistered guest
Dave:
Which size of Z585 you ordered?
52 or 61?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us