Good/Bad points of LCD tv's

Unregistered guest
hi, want to know what are the good and what are the bad points/things about an LCD tv........oh yeah, and how much are they in Australia ?

Bronze Member
Username: Avman

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 12
LCD TV pros: Bright, Huge viewing angles, and no converging.

cons: No black levels, colors are a little off, bulb has to be replaced, and need to clean a filter on the TV, and doesnt like very good with any standerd 480i broadcast.

Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 9
Gabriel:
I agree with you on one point, at least. The three biggest problems with LCDs (like my Hitachi RP) are
1. no black level
2. no black level
3. no black level
True black is what makes a great picture, and this deficiency is its Achilles heel. Charcoal gray is the best you can get. I can't say I wasn't warned about this issue before I got this TV (liquid crystals cannot block 100% of a powerful light behind it).

I took the plunge anyway because:
1. No convergance problem and no burn-in problem. CRT RPs were not an option for me. (Even though CRTs have the best blacks.)
2. Picture quality--especially HD broadcasts. I thought PQ was equal to the best CRT and DLP sets. Last fall, there were no LCoS sets to look at, and would have been too expensive anyway.
3. Cost. DLP sets then were about $1000 more, which I couldn't justify.

I disagree about the color. After I calibrated video settings with the Avia DVD, the picture almost jumps off the screen! Even the black level's better--or, after almost 4 months I'm getting used to it.

Yes, there's a bulb. And it's a hot one requiring a cooling fan. But DLP and LCoS have them too.

Your point about the 480i picture is well taken. After HD and 480p DVD viewing, SD is a letdown. But again, I think this is true with all fixed pixel displays.

Finally, Gabriel, there's a filter?

Bronze Member
Username: Avman

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 15
John some LCDs have a air filter for the fan, not sure all of them do but i do know the Panasonic 1st genaration did.

also good point on the avia set up disc Ive never seen an LCD set to its best I will go to work and try it On the LCD displays

Thanks ill let you know what i think.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
John S
You bought a Hitachi? My Black is Supper Black. I have a Panasonic PT-50LC13 50" LCD.

Do you know when you go in component video you are suppose to change the black level control on your dvd player. Personally I like it on lighter. No way is it even close to any gray. Check your settings.

Unregistered guest
hey thanx for ur responses, but can anyone tell me how much a good LCD tv would cost in australia..??? looking for largish, true black levels (though very hard to find) and enough input/output for a fully blown home cinema system

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 22
i gotta agree with pan. my panny has great
blacks. depends on how you adjust the settings, brightness and contrast.

hulkamania
Unregistered guest
bad points - high cost and none of the current models display in 1080p, which will be important once blu-ray is out. Essentially, all of the questions about current tv models are irrelevant because none of them that are affordable brodcast in 1080p.

Rob Mars
Unregistered guest
Huh?
I am just now looking for my first LCD TV, and there are several that do even up to 1280x768 pixels!
I care because I want to use it some day with my computer.

My problem is that I cannot find, even with Google, ANY spec on Sony's contrast (or response time, for that matter). Am looking at the KLV21SR2.
Yes, I know, but I actually want a 4:3 set.(Most of what I will watch will be 4:3 cable broadcasts here in Switzerland...)

Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 36
4:3 set, why not get a direct view set.

Unregistered guest
Can LCD TVs have bad or sub-pixels like LCD Computer monitors do?

Unregistered guest
of course....essentially, they are lcd comp moniters....just bigger....rn't they..???

arrow224
Unregistered guest
of course, isn't that wot they are already,....just bigger..????

arrow224
Unregistered guest
of course, isn't that wot they are already,....just bigger..????

Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 5
Sony doesn't display many specs, especially for their receivers (which some are borderline fraudulent) so I'm not surprised you won't find any contrast specs. Your best best is to find some reputable reviews to see if black levels were an issue. Or, just check the display out in person.

As for LCDs, how are fast motion images? I've read a few complain about football games and hockey games, etc where images have motion trails of pixels. Is this true to all LCDs or just a few?

I'm stuck between and LCD-DLP. I don't think I can wait long enough for LCOS to really be a factor.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 62
yes motion artifacts are an issue. But it may
not be the TV's fault. (i have a rp lcd) Some
providers are trying to cram too much content
onto their HD bands. But sometimes DVD's have
motion artifacts. I havent checked to see if
a 720p HD channel had artifacts. (my tv displays
720p natively). im used to the artifacts now.
The PQ outweighs any shortcomings.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us