LCD Image Degradation

Username: Bankerboy

Post Number: 1
I've searched through this board, and what seems like thousands of other boards. I've only found bits and pieces of what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd post my exact question.

We decided to get a wide-screen HDTV. Plasma is out, due to cost and possible burn-in. We really like the LCD & DLP rear-projection. Based on all the research, we liked the Samsung HLP-5063 DLP model. Many pluses, few minuses. On visiting the store to see the actual sets, however, I was very disappointed in the DLP model. I actually think they had a signal issue because I could see fairly large, chunky blocks of pixels in fast-motion scenes. At another store, it was much nicer, but still a little lacking.

What impressed us at both stores was the Sony KDF42WE655 LCD rear projection television. It really out-did the DLP in side-by-side comparison.

But, my concern is that I see there are inherent failure modes in the LCD televisions. I don't really care about the bulbs going out, since they can be replaced. What bothers me is the image degradation that can occur over time due to the actual LCD chip going bad. Of course, Texas Instruments (who created DLP technology) had a large article showing that the LCD design will degrade significantly in 4000 hours. Other sources put it at 2000 hours. Still others put it at 15000 hours. My concern is that I'm putting down a large sum of money for a set that will degrade in a year or two of heavy usage.

I can't seem to find any definitive information on this. Only passing references. I can't believe there isn't more information with all the sets being sold. Does anybody have any real information or links about the LCD image degradation.

All info is appreciated.

-Hans

Anonymous

LCDs may degrade with time and also may develop dead pixels. In the other had, Texas does NOT tell you the tiny mirrors on the DLP chip MAY get stuck, giving you a dead pixel also.
I have an LCD PJ with more than 2000 hours on it and still on the first bulb. Only issue I had was a burnt blue polarizer that I replaced myself (cost for the spare part was around US$ 80). This may happen with any LCD device but I think it is not an issue on LCD Rear Projection TVs as the optics are probably placed in a different way and with better ventilation.
To be honest, depending on your viewing habits, room light and sources you want to watch, a projector may be a much better option. Will cost you less and will give you a MUCH bigger picture and probably much better (thanks to the higher contrast ration on the new PJs than the LCD TVs).

Username: Bankerboy

Post Number: 2
An $80 polarizer is an acceptable charge, as long as it doesn't happen too often. I thought I saw somewhere on this board that someone had to replace the "light-engine" of their LCD for something like $1400. That's the situation that I want to avoid.

I'd love to buy a real projector, but the wife didn't want one. I have a huge 14 foot high wall that I could project it onto, too. Bummer.

-Hans

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
Hans,
Check out the thread someone posted titled "LCoS vs LCD"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us