Archive through November 30, 2004

docjj
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch - Thanks for the reply. I must disagree about component vs. DVI-HDMI. I have Samsung HD841 DVD player that seems to have much better PQ with component and upscale to 720p by the player. The DVI-HDMI cable has darker picture with worse grey scale and obvious banding. I again used Star Wars VI as test disc including the THX video tests. I was very surprised to see this, thinking that HDMI should be better. There is a setting on the TV Initial Setup (page 1 of 4) Digital-in setting either size1 or size2. Size1 has the darker image with poorer grey scale, but the picture is the correct size. Size 2 has similar brightness to the component input but still has worse grey scale AND the picture is shifted off to the one side. The component input appears quite perfect compared to DVI-HDMI. I do not think it is the cable (Monster 400 HDMI to DVI 2m cable @$119.99 at Best Buy)

The JVC custom stand is also excellent as others have mentioned including its build quality and function. The swivel feature is really nice.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 212
The Samsung has some "black crush" issues with the HD841 DVD players though the DVI output. I returned mine because it was too dark and bought the Toshiba SD-5970. The Tosh has HDMI out, and it looks much better with HDMI vs. component.

I believe the 841 only upscales via the DVI, so you would be transmitting 480p to the TV and the TV would be scaling to 720p.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 213
Here are some Standard def pix for those of you interested

CNN "full"

Upload

CNN "standard"
Upload

Local "ABC" in SD
Upload

Local "FOX" in SD
Upload

bhend4
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, thanks for the reply. I'm still on the fence, we'll see in a few weeks. Contractor starts on my basement in a couple weeks so I'll have to decide shortly. ...Another question. I have Comcast basic cable. Rather than pay the xtra money for HD cable, would anyone recommend just buying a tuner and get ota HD until Comcast offers more content? Just a thought.....

Jerzee
Unregistered guest
Bought my JVC 52" back in Aug. when I threw the towel in waiting for the Sammy 74 series. Have enjoyed several months of outstanding performance while watching the frustration expressed on the Sammy forum. Found that I have changed my viewing habits drastically now watching many more nature shows that are broadcasted on the Discovery, PBS, & the InHD channels available on Comcast. Comcast is promising several new HD channels in 05. Have over 200 stations available, and now finding myself only watching the dozen or so in HD. By the way, my set was manufactured in July and works perfectly. Have enjoyed reading this forum for over 6 months now.

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 33
Mr Lynch- awesome, thanks. Too bad the pics aren't bigger, but I can tell SD is decent, CNN actually looked really good. One question maybe you can answer. I was in BB and saw the JVC and the only thing that irked me was it seemed to have too much edge enhancement. It seemed to sharp and not very smooth. At BB you can't get a remote and tweak it so I was wondering if that is something that can be controlled. I know the JVC has detail and a noise filter, so was this something that was just improperly set up?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 215
Rick-

The pictures I took are much bigger, but I use my cameras "small pic" option so they would fit on this forum. I can send you the larger images if your interested.

What do you mean by "edge enhancement"? Is is something very visable? Best Buy has so many TVs hooked up, I'm sure the signal isn't the best. The JVC does have a few different "filters" and that, it could be one of those causing an issue too.

DOCJJ-

What did you end up paying for the stand? Where did you find it? I really like the look of it, but the only local place that has it wants $600.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Mr Lynch - sure send them to rlyon(remove)@cfl.rr.com without the (remove) of course. Edge enhancement is when you see a graphic or image and the edges are really beefed up. When it's too high, the edges get a whiter unnatural color to them and everything looks sparkly and not smooth. The JVC may have had the detail settings too high. I just wanted to make sure that your picture was smooth and not sparkly looking around the edges.

J Ketchum
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch,
I've found a stand for the Dila at Spectravox.com
They say it is in stock, the sale price they are asking is $375.
Here's the model #JVC RKCILA5S Silver DILA 52/61-inch Std

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I'm back after losing a computer to a hard drive failure!

My TV was fixed on Saturday with the new light engine. I watched the entire process and even helped at a few junctures. Pretty fascinating stuff. My "green glow" had progressed into a deep shadow that was in the middle of the screen so I got an emergency fix. JVC and the local repair rep were more than accomodating. The old engine was wrapped in copper sheathing that was a sheet of copper taped on. The new engine has an aluminum box around it. The fix took about 2 1/2 hours as it was this repair person's first foray into DILA technology. Now, all is well. Watched my beloved Packers on HD last night. What a dazzling experience.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 216
TV Shopper-

Glad to hear you got your set fix. Sounds like JVC treated you good. That is nice to hear.

That was a great Packer game by the way. ESPN really has the HD broadcasts down pretty good. I always look forward to the Sunday night HD broadcast. It seems to be less gitchy than the FOX daytime broadcast. Here in Seattle anyway.

Username: Dawny99

Post Number: 4
I bought the stand at a metro NY chain. I liked the swivel feature and my husband and I took 2 hours to assemble it. We paid $360 for the stand. I highly recommend it.

I do have a question. The husband is leary of watching taped shows on this beautiful set. We have the Costco GO VCR/DVD combo (heck it was $89). Should we go for it? Can I give him this forum's approval.

Also, when Cablevision hooked up the box to our set (component cables) we can ONLY use the Cablevision remote to control the picture -- stretch, zoom, and normal). I just wanted to let you know. We've been happy with the colors, picture, etc. Also wish there was more HD content but it's worth the extra $ for HD box.

docjj
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch - Thanks for the DVI info on the HD841 which sounds exactly like what was happening...was not aware of the problem. I wish that JVC would get their act together and release a univeral DVD with upscale and DVI or HDMI output. I have other JVC components including RX-9000V A/V receiver. It would be nice to have all the units compulinked together. I guess it is not as important with univeral remotes like Harmony ones that do macros well for all the units with one button push. I got the stand at Stereo Advantage in Williamsville, NY (www.stereoadvantage.com) for $399 and sold me the 52Z585 for $2995

bhend4
Unregistered guest
It appears that everyone loves these sets (575 and 585) and that is reassuring as Im really leaning toward either the 52" or 61". I will be sitting approx 11' from the TV, what size is recommened? Will the 61" be too big? the 52" too small? I would like to hear what people think. Also, I'd like to receive OTA HD but would need a tuner. Can anyone recommend a decent tuner/antenna combo, or has anyone tried the 795 model which I hear has a built in tuner. Thanks in advance for the replies, this forum is VERY helpful.

docjj
Unregistered guest
Bhend4 - I have the 52z585 and sit 7-9 feet away...seems just right. One must remember that the 61z has the same light engine and I think the same wattage bulb, so the image has the potential to look more pixelated (especially with SD format) as you project the same information to a bigger screen. I saw both the 61z575 and the 52z585 side by side, and with identical HD signals in the show room, they both look nice. I did not see SD signal in the show room, but the SD quality degredation displayed on HD set must become magnified as the screen size increases.

In regards to HD source, I have Samsung SIR-TS360 sat box that has antenna in. It combines all signals (off air and satellite) and organizes them into one channel list. I had a cheapo Jensen ($39 at Best Buy) HDTV amplified loop and rabbit ears antenna which worked ok, but the HD signals in my area come from 2 directions where I had to adjust the antenna element to the two directions depending of which stations I wanted. If all stations come from one direction, then this antenna solution would be fine. I returned it and got a Terk TV 55 ($99) stick indoor / outdoor antenna, which is not terribly directional and can now get all stations with antenna aimed sort of between the two directions of the signals without amplification. It does have an in-line amplifier that can be optionally used if needed that works off the house current.

Hope this info has been helpful.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 217
bhend4-

We sit about 7-9ft and it seems perfect for the 52". I wouldn't mind sitting back even more if I could. The best advice I heard about viewing distance on an HD widescreen is this:
1) take the feet and convert to inches, so in your case 11 feet= 132 inches.
Divide the inches by 2 (you get 66)
So you should beable to comfortably enjoy up to a 66" wide screen HD display. The 61 inch should be just fine for you.

Docjj-

Do you have your antenna indoor or outdoor? How do you like the SIR-ts360?

bpilorus
Unregistered guest
Anyone ever do business with a company called INOAX. They claim to have the new HD-52Z795 in stock and are able to ship. I checked the JVC web site and there was no mention of the newer 795.

Here is their URL:

http://www.inoax.com/vi-9099______.html

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I have a tip that I've discovered in my playing with my TV. If you are watching SD broadcasts, try it direct from cable instead of going through your set-top box (i.e. Motorola DCT5100). I am finding a much better picture that way. What I have done is run my cable out of the wall into a two-way splitter. One runs to the STB and the other runs directly into my VCR. My VCR is plugged into the TV through an input channel (Video 3) with component cables. I also run a coaxial cable from the VCR to the back of the TV. I find what I want to watch with the STB (Video 1) and then switch to the TV if what I am watching is below channel 99. Maybe this is a "no-brainer."

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 218
JVC's website talks about the 795 here:

http://www.jvc.com/press/press.jsp?item=424

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
bpilorus,

This link to the JVC web-site indicates a November release date for this TV. So, I suspect it's been released and they are behind on the web site maintenance.

http://www.jvc.com/press/press.jsp?item=424

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
bhend4- For distance I go with 2.5x width of the screen. In general I like 8' for 42", 10' for 50" and 12' for 60". I've seen the JVC and it's at the top of my list, but I thought less then 10' away would allow the SSE and digital noise to be too obvious. Course it's all subjective, and not owning one I can't really say what is the best for the JVC, though, I really think 61" would be too big for your space.

bhend4
Unregistered guest
Docjj, Mr. Lynch, and Rick,

thanks for the input on the screen size. I appreciate the info helping me with this decision. Getting close....... getting close. Contractor starts in a couple weeks, I need to pull the trigger and jump in. Lots of decisions... tv, dvd player, cable, satellite, ota tuner, tivo?....... Man I need to get this done and get my life back. You (this forum) has been a big help.

docjj
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch-

I like the SIR-ts360 a lot. It decodes fast and has nice PQ. It seems to smooth out the SD signals better than my previous box, which was a SONY SAT A65A. I had that hooked up for a few days until I decided to get the Samsung box to get HD DirecTV. The HD signal is also very good. It allows you to output in 480p 720p 760p and 1080i instead of having the JVC HDTV scale it. I use component connection like I do with the Samsung DVD 841.

The Terk TV55 is currently sitting on my floor in my family room without powered amplification and it gets all the signals with some intermittant breakup. I plan to put it in my attic this weekend and expect all signals to be clean without power amplification. If not, it comes with an in-line amplifier that has 10db gain (looks like a splittter with a dc power socket and power cube into 110 AC wall socket. This is a nice arrangement, because you don't need power in the attic but rather near the SAT box in the family room.

Unregistered guest
D-ILA vc DLP2+ Sets from Toshiba and Mitz

As many of you have probably been thru .. I too have been a walking zombie .. going to different places to try to see sets in comparable conditions to compare .. which is imposible.

The 3 constants that I think I've seen in the D-ILA sets as compared to these others are ...

1) a little less "definition" and 3D effect
2) black blacks
3) more motion artifacts when seeing sports or during drastic scene changes

.. as compared to the DLP2+ sets. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Thanks

Angelo

Ed Hepler
Unregistered guest
I just watched my first DVD (first Lord of the Rings) on my new 61".

My set was manufactured in July 2004 and it looks
like it has the greenish glow in the upper left and lower right corners during dark scenes...
Got it from Best Buy... Guess I need to call
JVC...

My DVD player is the Pioneer DV-727 multiple changer... It has component out, but doesn't have progressive (no line doubling)... Since the JVC does this internally, I assume that I'm getting the same PQ... Does anyone have a comparison of this versus the DVD player doing the scan doubling?

Noticed some pixelation around some moving objects (such as eyes) but suspect that this
is artifact from MPEG decoding, not from TV...

Also have DISH service... Not as impressed as I thought I would be with SD PQ... Currently using S-video from STB to Replay 5400 to JVC...

Will probably be getting an OTA receiver this
weekend... Probably the US Digital... Looking forward to seeing HDTV on this monitor...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Ed- Nothing less then component ever if you have a choice. Night and day difference on most HD sets unless the set upconverts to component, not sure if the JVC does.

Username: Grendon

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Ready to get HD52Z585, compared it in the showroom to Samsun HL-P5063W and Toshiba 52HM84 and found it to be far superior in picture and color quality. At least in the showroom.
Found it at BrandsMart for 2,698. Question is:
1)Why does the 585 always cost more on the WEB than 575?
2)Also should I just wait for the 595?

Thanks
Gus Rendon

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 223
Gus-

The 795 comes out within the next 2 weeks and it adds a built in HD tuner, cable card slot, and a firewire port. Everything else is the same. The set retails for $500 more, so if you realyy want/need those items in a set you should wait.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Gus- Did you get a warranty with Brandsmart? I live in Orlando (from Miami) and my folks now live in Broward near a Brandsmart. I know thier prices are about unbeatable. Do they have a CC, BB or Sears type of return without question policy and did you get a warranty through them? My concern is getting the JVC bringing it back to Orlando and having the set break. Thinking about seeing if Sears or BB would price match Brandsmart.

The 585 black version is there more exclusive high end hi-fi shop set. So there's not as much competition so they stick closer to MSRP.

Cable card is over rated, built in turner pointless if you have a box. It's only goo when we lose cable to a hurricane. So I don;'t mind once a year hooking up rabbit ears. I wouldn't wait unless JVC made some other fixes to the newer sets.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Also, does the JVC have a swivel stand? Someone just said they thought it was cool, never heard of this.

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Mr. Lynch,
None of those features on the 795 seem to really do anything for me and I really want all black which I see that the 795 is Silver.

Rick,
Yes you get a 1 year parts and labor manuf warranty but I also got 3 extended warranty for 200.00.

Brandsmart no also give you $300 if you get VOOM for .01 installed. Figured I needed this anyways.

Well worth the trip to Miami, $3,200 for 52Z585, Black stand, VOOM, 3 Yr Extended Warranty, Delivery and Taxes (7%)

Yes the JVC has a black or silver stand to go with the 52 and 61 models... It's awesome and well worth the $$$. Yes it does swivel. Silver is model RKCILA5S. Not sure of model number for the black stand. You should be able to look up a picture on the internet with this number. Here is a link for the best price on the net http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productid=2037728&affid=2163&adid=2163

text/plainUpload
JVC-RKCILA5S-.htm (56.4 k)

Bronze Member
Username: Rex_g

Post Number: 14
Does the JVC hd-52z725 allow closed caption on component input. I read somewhere that the mitsubshi wd-52525 has a problem with closed caption using the component input. Can anyone coment on the JVC?, as it would be very important in our house. Thanks

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 3
Any comments on VOOM ?

And can anyone tell me why every review on the JVD HD 52Z575 & 585 are so BAD?
CNET BAD, I received my new PC WORLD magazine today and it gets 2 of 5 stars. From everything I have seen I would rate it in the top but all reviews trash this set???????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Cnet had a bad model. They even have a paragraph before their review that states that very fact. So their review is done on a defective model.

PC World said the JVC had poor black levels, I disagree. They also said the Sammy was the best, yet never mentioned rainbows or headaches DLPs cause leading me to conclude it's not a very fair balanced review.

Other then that, there aren't many reviews of the JVC period. Not sure why, just needs more shefl time I guess.

Gus- I don't want Voom or satellite, at least not now. I think I'd get the 575, or whichever one is cheapest. Was $2700 on their website ad. As for the stand, I thought it was the base on the tv cabinet that swiveled, I misunderstood what i read.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
As for Voom, it's expensive for all the connections, installation, extra units, etc so I'd check out total up front cost and then factor in the monthly. Also, last review I read said there was a 7 second delay between flipping channels. That may have changed since then, but I'll keep my $70 HD cable bill with all my HD channels for now.

Mike Guthrie
Unregistered guest
The latest issue of the perfect vision mag has a very positive review of the hd-52Z575.
http://www.theperfectvision.com/

Anonymous

I am getting my third 575 and agree the PQ is amazing except the PURPLE and GREEN SHOWS UP in BLACK. This set is made in June. My first set is made in July. Both Sets have SMART Sound feature.

MY Opinion with JVC is that they should have sent their service people to retrofit the system than just dump it onto the market and hope no one will experience the defects.

Username: Condor

Post Number: 6
Hello,

A couple of comments:

Why do many reviews favor other models compared to the JVC ?

I believe that many reviewers are looking at technical specs and have their noses up to the screen, instead of looking at the "overall viewing experience".
Yes the Samsung HLP series (HD3) chip is sharper, too sharp in my opinion providing an "unnatural" picture.
The Mitsubishi with the HD2+ chip is better than the Samsung in my opinion, however the protective screen has glare galore, not to mention much pricier than the JVC.
In my humble opinion, the JVC offers the most natural, realistic High Def picture on the market and at a good price point.

For those looking a suitable stand for the JVC 52" we picked up the Tech series model TCV360 (it swivels as well)

see it at

http://www.techcraft.net

This stand can be purchased at many retailers including Video Only and Sears, for about $160.00

Since I purchased the JVC with the silver base, the TV and stand looks like they both came from JVC. It also has room for 2 components per shelf, side by side, more if you stack them, so I was able to eliminate my audio component tower.

I fit my HK receiver, DVD, VHS, Cassette deck and Motorola DVR cable box on the shelves.

For Mr. Lynch,

I purchased the "Digital Video Essentials DVD" and set up the JVC and surround system with it. I landed up with basically the same settings you published on this board!

Regards

Jim

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 4
Rick,

Thanks for the positive reinforcement of the JVC, I also think it's one of the best ones available. But it's hard keep positive went all you read about the set is so negative. That and the fact that mine hasen't been delivered yet makes me wonder if I really made the BEST choice for the money.

Yes BrandsMart is 2695.99 and then I got the $300.00 of for VOOM. This was a special 1 day sale on Friday. I think today it's back up to 2695.00 including the "VOOM" discount.

Gus

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 5
Rick,

I guess my situation is a bit different. My cable company has (ZERO) HD channels (Telemedia by Adelphia). I would have to get some type of satellite to take advantage of HD programming. With ZOOM I got $300 off the JVC SET and .01 total for install of 1 receiver (which is all I need since I will still keep my basic cable for the rest of the house). I do have to keep the service for a minimum of 6 months. Programming is 49.95 a month if you don't get HBO, STARZ, TMC, etc. 89.95 for everything. As far as the delay ??? Don;t know yet :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Rex_g

Post Number: 15
Jim,
The TCV360 is only 38.5 inches wide. Is that a problem for the JVC HD-52z575?
Thanks

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 6
Finally something good about the JVC HD 52Z575 / 585, It's in HDTV Time:
http://productwanted.com/index.html/page/site-DetailPage/ratings/yes/ID/685/bcti tle//ps_session/36195f8179b5d5da967fc0f1a9348bdd

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Gus- No prb. Good luck with Voom. The only way I'd get satellite is if I was in the boonies, or my $70 cable bill exceeds $80-$85 which it may in a year or so as cable increases rates yearly. Gus, nice scores on the review, but no article to read that I saw.

Mike Guthrie- Can you summarize the review? Can't get it online.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Rex- The JVC's base isn't very wide.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I just read on AVS.com that the JVC with serial # beginning with 159 has a 10/4 build date and should the one to look for with most HJVC issues fixed.

Curious to hear from those with this 159 serial # as to having any old issues.

Miramar, FL USA

Post Number: 7
Rick,
Here is the review:
http://productwanted.com/index.html/page/site-DetailPage/review/yes/ID/685/bctit le//ps_session/36195f8179b5d5da967fc0f1a9348bdd

And yes I wish that my cable company had HD but thats not an option at this point. Wondering if anyone has any comments of Voom vs any other dish companies?

Will tell you what serial number I get once I get delivery. I delayed it on purpose hopping that the warehouse would run out of the 8 units they had in stock. They have an order for 88 new ones coming in next week.

Post Number: 8
Rick,

My JVC 52" was manufactured in September 2004.
No issues at all (after 3 weeks).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Jim- good news. Dod you have the green purple pixel issues around the edges? I think that and black crush are my biggest concerns because those seem design related and not QC related.

Gus- Thanks for the link. Voom is good I guess, not as many channels but much more HD channels.

Post Number: 9
No green purple pixel issues.

Black crush was improved dramatically after using "Digital Video Essentials" dvd home theater setup disk. I found (as did Mr. Lynch) that brightness had to be bumped up from neutral (0) to +10 to +13. Good definition in blacks/greys now.

That said, have you found a better more natural looking picture on any other set? Didn't think so.

Take the plunge, you won't be sorry.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Jim- Very good to hear. As for picture quality, the Mitsubishi DLP has a very good greyscale and shadow detailed picture. However, it's $4k and I and my wife get headaches from DLPs.

I'm feeling much better about the JVC now that you've commented on your set. Don't suppose you can take a few pics? Mostly curious about white text on light backgrounds to see the purple green issue or lack there of.

Unregistered guest
All,

I've been around again to 3 diff Big Screen Stores, BB and Sears. The BB's and Sears had the JVC's, Mitz and Sammy's (x63).

The Mitz's though clear and sharp, were never able to get the whites white. My friend mentioned it looked like someone has pissed on the screen ... as compared to the JVC and the Sams.

I've looked at the JVC's now in several installations (the ones today were all June or prior mfrg). They are simply not as sharp as the Sam's and not as detailed. When looking at faces, or other details, the Sam's always seemed to have more detail (blemishes on faces, hair on animals, etc) and the effect was a more 3D'ish picture as well as what seemed to be more detail in the grey areas.

Has anyone else seen this too?

Thanks

Angelo

Post Number: 10
Angelo,

The majority of people on this board own JVC's because we have seen it's capability. Not all stores are set up properly with good HD feeds.
The Sales people can tweak certain systems to show customers what they want to push.

I bought at Sears and they had the worst possible setup for the JVC, but I knew what the set could do.

I saw the capability of the JVC at BestBuy with an HD feed, right next to the Mitsubishi and Samsung. There was no contest. The JVC had the brightest most natural looking picture.

If you want razor sharp, rainbows and possible headaches consider the Sammy. You want to see the reflections of your furniture in the screen, the Mitsubishi's for you.

Have Fun!

Unregistered guest
Thanks Jim for your response,

So is what you are saying is that the lack of detail next to an x63 Sammy is pretty much a given and that you experienced it too.

I am not trying to down the JVC's .. I'm actually trying to talk myself into getting one as I like the idea of independent RGB and the dimensions and layout of the set would fit perfectly in my installation.

What I am trying to find out (from you who own and have seen the set at it's best) is if what I have seen is a common experience ... or maybe these are all "bad installations, bad light engines, bad signal" issues ..

I appreciate your input.

1) "color banding" in solid color areas
2) lack of detail in shadow areas
3) lack of antialiasing on text and diagonal graphics
4) lack of sharpness as compared to x83, x85 Sammy's (i.e. seeing blemishes on faces, fine hairs, etc).

Angelo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Jim- Very good to hear. As for picture quality, the Mitsubishi DLP has a very good greyscale and shadow detailed picture. However, it's $4k and I and my wife get headaches from DLPs.

I'm feeling much better about the JVC now that you've commented on your set. Don't suppose you can take a few pics? Mostly curious about white text on light backgrounds to see the purple green issue or lack there of.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Angelo, In my opinion the Sammy does not look "natural", it has an artificially sharp picture. I watch television from a 10' distance, not 1". What looks best from 10' is what counts for me.

Rick, your right, 4k for the mitsu, I paid just under $2700 from Sears for the JVC 52" including 8.8% sales tax and delivery. I thought about your white text on grey backgrounds, just haven't seen any! I see lots of white text on black backgrounds and they look superb.

Jim

This_fencepost_hurts
Unregistered guest
Hey,

I've been trying to decide what to do for a new TV for about 6 months now. I've done plenty of research on LCD, LCOS,DLP...and now D-ILA. On issue I'm curious about is quite a few other sets have two hdmi inputs as opposed to one on the JVC. Why would you need two?

Alot of good information on this thread.

Thanks

J Ketchum
Unregistered guest
Two HDMI's would be very convenient, one for DVD upconversion, and one for HD cable box. Therefore, you have "lossless" HD from your two primary sources.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
I've read there isn't much difference on HD between component and DVI/HMDI which is why some sets only have one input. Also, some areas don't have cable boxes with a DVI/HDMI output yet, still early.

Username: Dmako

Post Number: 9
Well it's been six days since we've received our new Mitsubishi 52725 DLP HDTV, and I can see rainbows. Not all the time, just if there are white areas against dark areas and I blink or move my eyes. Never the less, they are there, and now I keep looking for them.

Very disappointing as this is such a nice set.

Well Tweeters really pushed me towards this set as DLP offers a better black than does RPLCD, so I am sold on the idea that the DLP picture is better than the RPLCD.

So now what? I do not want to try another DLP due to the rainbow effect.

What about this LCOS from JVC?

Has anyone moved from the Mitsubishi 52725 to the JVC?

Since currently the JVC does not contain a tuner, does any fans run while the unit is powered off?

I know the Mitsubishi has a fan than runs all the time power on or off. I have heard that this is to cool the tuner, so if no tuner, no fan? I live out in the woods (now) and can never receive OTA HD.

Any word on when the JVC LCOS model with the tuner will be out? Can always add a tuner, right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Dave,

No rainbows on the JVC.
Fan shuts off about 2 minutes after the TV shut off.

JVC with tuner expected out very soon I believe.
(I use Comcast cable and got the new Motorola DVR cable box)

Good luck

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 226
Dave-

1) I started with a Samsung DLP (5085) and ended up switching to the JVC. My wife is very sensitive to rainbows and saw them all the time. She would get headaches and hated the TV. We bought our JVC in August and she has had no issues with it at all.

2)The JVC fan runs for 60-90 seconds after you shut the set off, but is stays off until you power it on again.

The JVC HDxxz795 with the HD tuner should be out around Dec. 7th. Best Buy will carry them.

For those of you who say the JVC is not as "sharp" as the Samsung DLPs your right. The JVC is so much smoother and more natural, it makes the Samsung look harsh and artifical. If you crank the sharpness all the way up on the JVC is looks similar to the Samsungs. It adds the artifical lines to the edges making it look more "detailed" or "crisp". It is very hard on the eyes to watch TV for long like that.

Once you adjust the JVC, the black levels are very good. In it's normal setting, it has a very "showroom" look. The blacks are sacrified a bit to get a very vivid color and a bright "wow" factor picture. Just a few simple adjustments really open up the black levels, and gets the picture to what I feel is the smoothest most film like picture available. I still would not trade my set for anything out there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Mr. Lynch- Your wife got headaches from DLPs too? I do as well as my wife does. In a thread here about what HD to get, I mentioned we get headaches from DLPs and was told by another poster I was spreading 'false misinformation' LOL.

What's the start up time on the JVC? I know it's like a minute and a half between starts for the bulb to cool down before it will come back on.

Optim
Unregistered guest
Rick, you big baby...WE KNOW YOU AND YOUR WIFE GET HEADACHES from DLPs. How many times do we need to hear this? We're getting a headache reading this so many times. It sounds like you're looking for conformity!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 227
Rick-

I read a study sometime ago done by the US military. Some of the newer simulated trainers they used were DLP based and some soldiers would get sick from them. It was due to the color breakup (rainbows) with a single chip system. They found out that about 10% of the population will see rainbows all the time, and about 50% will see them every once in a while when the color wheel is under 10k rpm. The fater the wheel the less often the rainbows were seen. I'm the type that only sees them on occasion. My wife and a friend of mine see them to the point that they get headaches and eye strain. My wife even saw rainbows on the single chip Philips LCoS. She doesn't know much about the different sets, but she can pickout all the single chip TVs from across the room.

The start up time on the JVC varies. It takes about 20-30 seconds for the picture to appear, and about 3 minutes to get to full brightness. It looks fine to me after less than a minute though.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 228
Optim-

Why would you post to "attack" someone? It is really stupid. If you have something helpful to say than by all means post it. But to take up space with something stupid like that is pointless.
Why don't you go make fun of all the people in the Samsung forum that say the same thing over and over. I see 10 different people a day complain about a/v sync issues and wonder if they are the only one.

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, thanks for giving us greater detail on the rainbows and actually quantifying it. I think that is what the person above, Optim, was looking for. Some people tend to generalize things. People who see rainbows might be 10% but people who get headaches as a result, yes it does exist, but is far less. If you look at phone usage, same thing there. Very few get massive migranes, MOST don't!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 229
DLP rainbows are probably the number 1 reason why we went with the JVC. Even the potential of seeing them is enough for me to avoid the problem. I heard of people who don't start seeing them for many months after buying the set. At that point it is too late to take it back.

If you can see rainbows on a consistant basis, you will get a headache watching TV. My wife compared it to what you see when they show computer monitors on TV. You can see the refresh rate roll and flicker up and down the screen. Rainbows don't look like that, but both will drive you crazy if you had to watch it. If anyone is curious about the rainbow effect, find a DLP TV and rapidly look back and forth across the screen. You might start seeing flashes of rainbow color. You can also see it fairly easy when DLPs display white letters on a black background. Movie credits usually are a good example to watch.

Bottom line, JVC has 3 chips- no rainbows :-)

Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

>> For those of you who say the JVC is not as "sharp" as the Samsung DLPs your right. The JVC is so much smoother and more natural, it makes the Samsung look harsh and artifical. If you crank the sharpness all the way up on the JVC is looks similar to the Samsungs. It adds the artifical lines to the edges making it look more "detailed" or "crisp". It is very hard on the eyes to watch TV for long like that. <<

I know language is a barrier to communication here. I know the difference between an artificially sharp picture and a picture with more detail and resolution. What I'm refering to is the ability to produce fine detail as compared to the other sets ... blemishes on faces, stray hairs, etc .. not "sharp" edging.

Again, all these JVC's were out of the box and born June and before. I turned off the DNR on all sets comparing. I know 2 of these JVC's had the "green glow" issue.

Also, did anyone find a setting to solve the grey bar issue in SD?

Thanks

Ang

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 230
Angelo-

I've had a Samsung HLP5085, a HLP4663, and the JVC in my house. I feel the 5085 had a slightly more detailed picture than the JVC. The 4663 did not. I really liked the picture of the 5085, but there were to many other issues that went along with it. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the 5085 a 10, the JVC a 9.5 and the 4663 a 9. All 3 looked very good IMO.
With slow moving or still images the 5085 had the best detail, but when it came to fast motion (video games/sports) the JVC was a step ahead. I experienced a lot of pixelation and slight motion blur with the Samsungs. The JVC stayed more stable and clear. Since I watch a lot of sports and play a lot of games, the JVC was a better choice for me. If you watch more slower paced shows and rainbows are not an issue, a HD2+ DLP might be the right choice. It all comes down to personal preference.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 231
Angelo-

I've had a Samsung HLP5085, a HLP4663, and the JVC in my house. I feel the 5085 had a slightly more detailed picture than the JVC. The 4663 did not. I really liked the picture of the 5085, but there were to many other issues that went along with it. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the 5085 a 10, the JVC a 9.5 and the 4663 a 9. All 3 looked very good IMO.
With slow moving or still images the 5085 had the best detail, but when it came to fast motion (video games/sports) the JVC was a step ahead. I experienced a lot of pixelation and slight motion blur with the Samsungs. The JVC stayed more stable and clear. Since I watch a lot of sports and play a lot of games, the JVC was a better choice for me. If you watch more slower paced shows and rainbows are not an issue, a HD2+ DLP might be the right choice. It all comes down to personal preference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Optim- Yea, big baby, that's me :/ Anyways, why the attack for a post that was talking to someone else? I didn't say "Hey Optim, my wife and I get headaches". I told Mr Lynch, that my wife and I get headaches because he has experienced it as well. If you and your wife don't get headaches, consider yourselves lucky. Getting headaches from watching DLPs like my wife and I get, aren't fun.

This is a forum to share input, ideas and advice. I was simply sharing the fact that my wife and I get headaches from DLPs. I'm sorry this caused you a headache, do you get headaches from DLPs like my wife and I? I wonder if there's a pattern to getting headaches like my wife and I get.

Mr Lynch- I viewed the LG DLP and didn't see a single rainbow, however my wife and I did get a headache. So, rainbows and headaches aren't always related issues which makes it harder to form a pattern or conclusions as to why some see them and some don't and those who and don't get headaches. Interesting info on soldiers. Over at AVS, they did a poll for DLP owners, and of the 120 plus people, half saw rainbows and could live with it, 1/4 saw rainbows and returned the set because of it. Tho not entirely accurate, it's more then 10% of those polled there. We are actually discussing the same topic there and we commented that those numbers would probably improve if at least one person who knew about rainbows hung out at BB, Sears and CC and made customers aware of rainbows and headaches. Most don't know about them so how can they contribute their issue to the tv? Most don't know what a DLP is, how can they then possibly know their TV is causing their issues?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 232
Rick-

I think the whole thing is an interesting subject. The military said 50% could see it (like me), but it only caused problems in 10%(my wife, you and yours). That is fairly close to the AVS poll. I noticed that when I had the 5085 HD2+ DLP I could not watch TV as long as I can now. On Sundays I like to watch the morning, afternoon and late NFL games. I would get eye fatigue a lot sooner with the DLP than I do now with the JVC. Now I can watch all 3 games, play Halo 2 for a couple hours and still have no problem. A nice big case study on the subject would be very interesting.

Have you bought a JVC, or are you still shopping? What TVs are you considering? What have you crossed off the list? I take it all DLPs are off the list.

In 2 weeks my Aunt is bringing down her Hitiachi 60v500 so I can build her a new TV stand and adjust her set with DVE. She is having her living room remodeled and needed a place to store her TV. I wouldn't mind a few weeks with it to see how it compares to my JVC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Yea, those numbers sound pretty accurate based on what we know. Some DLP fans try and put it at like 2% see rainbows.

No set yet. It's been a long process, but no rush because I'm waiting to get the funds. I could charge it now, but would rather secure some part of it in cash, and then get some for my CRT HD 36" that I'm replacing and only have to finance like a 3rd. So it's a numbers game while I search.

As for sets this was my list with explanation next to each

50" Panny c14- (Too many issues, sets dying, too wide, poor shadow detail, not very bright)

50" Sony (Was tied with the JVC but again, too wide, black levels could have been dealt with)

50" Hitachi v500 (fan noise, crop circles, blotches, too wide)

LG DLP (loved this set, thought about trying it despite headaches but wife's headache clinched it)

LG 48" LCD (can't find it in the bigger stores)

So it was down to the typical. As noted above was then narrowed to the Sony and the JVC. I cut out some cardboard to see the size in my space and the Sony was too big. So it was the 42" Sony vs the JVC. Wasn't much a choice. So right now it's the JVC. I've read here and AVS that the sept models are nearly flawless. So I will be waiting until I feel comfortable about the funds and feel good that the channel will fill with more Sept models so I won't get stuck with an June/July one.

That's why I ask a lot of questions and want to see pics. I can't get a DVD on a JVC at the stores and their feeds are split so many times the pic is horrible. It's hard to decide on a $3k tv when you have to judge a crappy pic. Unless something happens, I'm 85% or so sold on the JVC. I thank you for your pics, they helped a lot.

Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch,

>> I've had a Samsung HLP5085, a HLP4663, and the JVC in my house. I feel the 5085 had a slightly more detailed picture than the JVC. The 4663 did not.

That's what got me stumbled here with the JVC's I've seen. In every case, the x63's had more detail than the JVC . .which is on the "softer" HD3 chip. I'm not even talking about comparing the x85's or x74's with it.

They all must be 1st run JVC's .. each with their own problems which are holding back my comparison.

If I could see the JVC as detailed as the x63's, I'd get one tomorrow.

Ang

angelo
Unregistered guest
Rick, if you focused more on making some money rather than giving your "uneducated" decisions you would have a TV by now to talk about as an educated consumer. I read in another post that you were very pesimistic. They were right!
You say thanks above to "Mr. Lynch" for all his help in posting pictures, you nit pick on all other TVs and then you are still only 85% sure you'll buy the JVC when you could afford it! Give us a break! What negative critisisms will you have about the JVC in a week from now?
Chris, (Mr. Lynch), YES thanks for all your efforts to making this JVC post great. I mean if it wasn't for your pictures, Rick would be 60% decided.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
angelo- Wow, not sure where that came from but i guess I'll have to defend myself again. Because i have a negative opinion of the DLP because I and my wife can't watch one for more then ten minutes I'm pessimistic? Well, then if you want to label me I guess so. As I stated I'm in no rush to buy a set so I'm uneducated? Ask me some questions so I can show you how 'educated' I am. I don't need to own a DLP to know I get headaches/see rainbows. So, not sure where you're going with that 'uneducated' conclusion. I could care less what you or others think of my opinions, they are after all mine.

Yes I nitpick, it's $3 GRAND! That's the most ridiculous thing I've read this week and that's saying something given Optim's genius post. Yes, I thanked Mr Lynch's postings because they helped me lean towards the JVC. What's the problem comprehending that? I'm only 85% sure because I'm not buying the set tomorrow. When I'm ready to buy I will obviously be more ready but will still be concerned with pre-September models. It's THREE GRAND! Logically, I don't see me 'creating' any 'new criticisms' in a week from now unless Mr Lynch or/and others post 'new previously unknown issues'. See, that's how I become 'educated' and then can make an 'educated decision'. I think not nit-picking, not researching and then dropping 3 grand would be beyond uneducated, it would be just dumb. And, you're right, I would be a lot less decided if not for Mr Lynch's pics, that's why I thanked him :/

Not sure what your beef is, but I'm here if you wish to continue this drivel. Otherwise, mind your own business and stick to the discussion rather then attacking other posters and hi-jacking a very informative thread on the JVC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Rick,

Buy the JVC from a store like Sears. They have a 30 day no questions asked return policy with a full refund.

Use your Amex card and your 1 year JVC warranty will be doubled to 2 years at no charge by amex.

You have nothing to lose. Try the JVC, you will like it!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 233
Rick-

I totally agree with you. My wife and I decided to start looking for a new TV in February. We made of list of what we wanted, set a price limit of 3k, and 6 MONTHS later we finally bought a JVC. It is a tough decision you should not rush into.
I went from a hardcore Samsung DLP supporter, to an educated consumer wary of the problems with DLP. A lot of the best info I found was on the thread of this forum.

Angelo-

I appreciate your posts, but try to keep it more civil. We are all here to help each other make an informed decision. Have you bought a set? If not, are you leaning any one way? I'm curious as to what you personally like? I know you are unsure of the "sharpness" of the JVC, but are there any other issues your concerned with?

Post Number: 10
The JVC Lcos, fan noise. Any better, same, worse that the Mitsubishi 52725?

I was jsut reading in a review (Home Theater mag)that fan was noisy.

It just so hard to tell these things in a store with 100's on TVs running.

And any other opinions are welcome too, just can not take the rainbows on the Mitsubishi.

I want to stay with a black front, and be around 50 inches in width.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 234
Dave-

I've had my JVC since late August and the only time I notice the fan is when I shut off the TV at night. It is either fairly quiet, or I'm just use to it. It does not seem to be any louder than my friends Samsung though. I haven't had a Mitsu to compare it to, so I can't give you an opinion on that one. I'm not sure if you play video games or not, but the JVC fan is a little quieter than the fan in the Xbox.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
mr lynch, i remember seeing you say you liked the toshiba before deciding on the jvc. what problems did the toshiba have to turn you off. can you give any input on the new sony's also. i'm considering them both. thanks

be glad when this full moon goes down!!!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 235
TNBUBBA-

I posted a big comparison a while back between the Samsung 5085, the Toshiba DLP, and the JVC.

Rainbows were the number 1 reason. The wife can see them on most DLPs (except the 20k 3 chip DLP projectors) and she can't watch TV for long because it causes eye strain, then headaches. The Toshiba was also a little wider than we wanted, but we were willing to make it fit. I though the Toshiba was an outstanding set and in my opinion it was a dead heat between the JVC and the Tosh. I didn't care either way. Getting the JVC for $600 cheaper also put it over the top. The wife is very happy with the JVC picture which is a BIG plus too.

Are you looking at the new Sony 655 or 955?

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
mr lynch, i'm looking at the tosh 62hmx94 and the 955 sony. the 955 is the newer, right? i want the latest one around 60". i just want something i can turn on and enjoy. what has happened to those days. thiss buying a tv has cost me hours of sleep. ridiculous, huh? i appreciate reading all your comments as well as MOST of the others. i'm open to any suggestions and opinions. i've sold my old rca 52" and got to do something before bowl games. thanks
tnbubba

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Jim- Yea, I will probably go Sears as it seems to have the fewest complaints against it. BB also has the set but a lot of people complain about BB and I think Sears may haggle more. Downside is BB sometimes throws in ect stuff for free, but Sears does price match plus 10%. So I may go to BB get the best deal then take it to Sears for the price match. Or just use the internet or an invoice someone here gave me. But if I were to buy today, it would be the JVC. I probably won't until Christmas or after all depending on how things go. It's getting harder and harder to wait the more praise I read about the JVC and pics that are posted. Especially after people with the Sept build saying the pervious flaws are not there anymore. Makes taking the plunge easier. I think my last concern would be seating position, I'm at about 11' right now and may need to back it up.

Mr Lynch-Only six months? :-) It's been about that for me. Going back and forth with all the set I listed above. Really liked the Sony and was about set on it then the size width came into play. Wanted the JVC but a lot of issues, tho none like it died a week later like some sets. Now that a lot more people have the sets and say nothing really wrong with them almost makes the JVC the better choice with fewer issues. You say the fan is as loud as the Xbox, can you compare it to the PS2? I don't know how loud the Xbox is or how loud these/any sets are because the stores are so loud.

Unregistered guest
Rick,

Some used my name to attack you. It wasn't me. Notice the poster (poser) didn't put a return e-mail address and didn't sign it "Ang" .. where I always have in my posts.

My appoligies.

Thanks

Ang
Ang

Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

1st, please understand that it was someone else posting under my name to Rick. I am a "high road" kinda guy and would never post something like that.

OK .. I went back to original BB and played with the JVC 52" for another hour ... (damn, I've got to get my life back).

It was right next to on a corner with a Mitz 62525. Again when I got there and after some preliminary tweeking, the Mitz was showing more fine detail, more shadow detail and looked better over all.

After about an hour of tweeking this setting and that, I got the JVC looking better than the Mitz. Just as much fine detail and nearly identical for the shadow detail. When I made the Mitz it's best, the JVC's blacks were inky'er and the whites were whiter.

A sales guy came by asked if I needed help. I told him, "I think I finally got this JVC looking right"

.. he responded .. "The Mitz is going to be much better".

I followed, "... well have a look".

He said, "Oh .. uh .. well ... that does look better than the Mitz ... I guess I'll have to play with the Mitz to get it better again".

I mentioned that I had already tried, but good luck.

So, I think I've convinced myself that the set is capable of comparable performance to the Sam's/Mitz's DLP's .. better in some ways, damn close in others. One key was to turn off the dynamic gamma .. it crushed the dark detail. Even so, I do give the dark detail nod to the Sam's DLP's .. but the JVC is comparable enough and seemed to be nicer in the color's that it's an even trade.

So ... now it't time to descide on 52" or 61". I'm leaning toward 61" as normal viewing will be 9'-12' away ... except for the kids during computer games. Think I can hang with the 61"er? (so to speak <g>).

Thanks for your help and input and again sorry for the tone of the imposter's post.

Sincerely,

Ang

Unregistered guest
JVC - SD "pucker"?

I noticed when I put the screen into 4:3 mode with SD, the resulting picture bounded by the grey bars weren't straight nor were they vertical .. like a slightly pinched in the middle trapaziod.

Is there a service menu setting to adjust that?

Ang

Bronze Member
Username: Talk2dipu

Post Number: 18
ang,
get registered and no one can use your name. I think the system allows unique registered users.
good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
angelo- Yea, you should register so no one can take your name. I do apologize then and my post was directed to the poster, if not you then to whoever did. I noticed the name wasn't linked, I just assumed you forgot to do that. It's all good :-)

As for your findings, very interesting. I too think the gamma needs to be off because i saw it crush blacks as well. I did like the Mits' pic, very nice on shadow detail, but someone said and I quote "It looks like someone pissed on the screen". Very colorful but I can see what that meant, the Mits does have a tint to it and as you saw, the whites weren't white. Nice to see you got the JVC better then the Mits, that is very encouraging. As for the size, I'd go with the 52" following the 2.5 times screen size. So 130" / 12 is almost 11' So you'd be right there for the 52". The 61" would best be viewed at 13'. So, I guess if you went back to your 12' position the 61" would work. You can always get the 52" and if too small, I don't think the store would mind you upgrading to a larger size. They may not be as happy to downgrade you.

Curious about Mr Lynch's comments on the SD pincushioning.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Current JVC Lcos and lack of tuner.

So can I still hook my cable straight from the wall (no cable box) and be able to tune channels?

The tuner would be ONLY if I wanted to get HD OTA right?

Trying to figure if I go fro the JVC, should I wait for the 795 series or save some cash.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
JVC - any location to get the manual on line is PDF format?

Unregistered guest
You can download a copy of the manual in PDF format from:

http://books.jvcservice.com/download/154626524/34256.pdf

--Larry

Username: Angelog

Rick,

>> As for the size, I'd go with the 52" following the 2.5 times screen size

I thought it was 2x for RPTV and 1.5x for front projection .. a 61" would give me 10' .. right in the middle under that formula.

Anyone have the 61"? How far are you back typically?

Ang (new ID 'angelog')

This_fencepost_hurts
Unregistered guest
Hey y'all,

Have any of the jvc owners here noticed any sound sinc problems with their 575's? I was just reading another thread discussing this problem with the new sammy dlp's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Yes, you could hook up your cable from the wall, but would only get basic cable. You need a cable box to get premium channels and channels over 99. All the built in turner does is allow you to get HD channels OTA. For me in Florida, I would only ever use that feature after a hurricane knocks cable out, otherwise, I'd never use it and it;'s not worth the extra money.

Question really is, does your cable company have HD and a HD box? If not, you'll want a tuner, if it does, save the cash.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
angelo- It's 2-2.5 times width. I follow the 2.5 times method because SD looks pretty bad too close, and sitting further back hides a lot more flaws/compression.

This_fencepost- Only DLPs suffer from audio sync issues. I understand it's most if not all DLPs, however some not as bad as others. Sammy seemed to be the worst.

Unregistered guest
I'm not as word literate as some posts on here (my husband is in bed), but I'll do my best in trying to ask my question. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just received our JVC 52Z575 today - delivered by Sears. It's truly beautiful and watched Master and Commander on DVD. My problem is with regular tv watching on normal non-HD channels. The most annoying thing is having those two thick GREY bars on both sides of the picture. As seen in many stores such as BB, CC, etc - I've seen regular tv watching with BLACK bars to the side of the picture. Is there a way to change this? Since my husband is a movie watcher and watches all the HD channels - I, on the other hand, watch regular tv and find this very annoying. Is there any way to change the grey to black? It's only day 1 - with 29 more days to go -if we are to change our minds. Also, how would I know when my tv was manufactured?
This site was sooooo helpful in making our decision thus far.

Username: N7tb

Mr Lynch,

I want to thank you for the most objective and thorough evaluation of the JVC 52 in. HDTV that I have seen anywhere. The time you took to upload all the picture you have and especially the ones from oblique angles was very helpful.

I have been reading this thread for about two months. I first thought I would get a DLP, but the rainbow issue really got me looking at the JVC. Even if my wife and I don't see rainbows, our daughters, husbands, and grandkids might.

I have not purchased the JVC yet because of several things. It is a big investment and with a viewing distance of 11-14 feet I may go for the 61 in version. I also want to see what the reviews are of the version with the built in tuner is and may wait until after Christmas to see what the prices do. I can say with certainty that I will have a JVC HDTV by this time next year.

I live down the road from you a bit in Corvallis, OR and get so frustrated with the BB in Salem and Portland and the Fry's in Portland. None of them can show me an example of SD programming. I guess they don't want to sell their TV's that bad. I cannot imagine someone dropping 3-4 grand on an HDTV and not demand to see SD on the TV. HD programming is still the minority of what is out there so SD viewing is a necessity.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. I have not posted much before but have been very attentive to your posts on this thread.

Terry

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
RE: "Question really is, does your cable company have HD and a HD box? If not, you'll want a tuner, if it does, save the cash."

Right now I run component video from my cable box direct to the TV. I also run coax as backup since the box.

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Previous post:
"My problem is with regular tv watching on normal non-HD channels. The most annoying thing is having those two thick GREY bars on both sides of the picture. As seen in many stores such as BB, CC, etc ..."

Yes gray bars? On my current Mitsi 52725, in 4:3 I get black bars (well very very close to black).

Only ESPN uses graduating gray bars.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us