Comcast hdtv receiver/video makes DLP tv hum thru speakers

Username: Wirednut

Post Number: 1
I've been using Directv hooked up to a Toshiba DLP and a Panasonic receiver, all w/o any issues. Yesterday Comcast came by and installed the basic TV service with HD. Once a video signal is passed to the TV, it creates a loud hum thru the TV speakers. I disconnected the audio cable and the hum is still there. This happens with either the component or DVI-HDMI cable. Once the video cable is disconnected the hum goes away. If I change the video source from the TV menu, while it is switching and has no video signal, the hum goes away. The only solution so far is to turn off the TV speakers. But sometimes we don't fire up the home theater recevier. Is anyone familiar with this or a solution?

Username: Wirednut

Post Number: 2
I spoke to a friend and he thinks this is a ground loop issue. Comcast is coming by this afternoon and I'll see if they can do anything about a filter for the incoming Comcast cable to Comcast receiver. I'll follow up with more. Thanks.

Anonymous

Plug all your components to the same power bar. That'll fix the ground loop.

John

Anonymous

Plug all your components to the same power bar. That'll fix the ground loop.

John

Username: B0ngbong

NEW YORK, NEW YORK USA

Post Number: 6
Queation for you anonymous.I have a 5 yrs old sony dvd player.I bought a hdtv and hook it up with component cable to my dvd but im only getting 480p resolution.Somebody told me that my dvd is old and it wont upconvert.Is that possible?If it is if i buy a dvd right now any brand can they able to upconvert to higher resolution?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Bong,

All DVD's available today are recorded in 480i, most players convert to 480p, a few upconvert to 720p or 1080i but keep in mind your TV will do this as well and likely much better. You can only make the small amount of data recorded on a DVD in 480i look so good.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Hi all. I have a similar problem. Without the HD box, the sounds coming out of my stereo speakers was clear. Now that I have the HD box, there is a loud Hiss whenever I have the stereo speakers on. If I turn the receiver off and I just play the TV no hiss. All my components are plugged into the same surge protector. I am using a monster cable to go from HD box to TV and from TV to receiver.

Any ideas? Sound is clean if it's from a DVD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us