Hunt for rear projection DLP 50"-60"

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 25
hi, my dad is looking into getting a new tv and wants to get a rear projection DLP between 50" and 60". i know nothing about these tvs and am wondering what suggestions people have. i do not think depth of the tv is a main concern since it will be used in a fairly large room. i am not sure if he will be getting hdtv. it will be used mainly for watching tv and movies and sometimes video games when my cousins are visiting. reason i specify is i have heard some tvs r sensitive to gaming for some reason, i could be wrong. anyway, any suggestions for models or companies to look for i will let my dad know.

Username: Angelog

Post Number: 5
Christopher,

I'm pickey and I've probably spent at least 25+ hrs going to 3 BB's (2x each), 2 CC's, 2 Tweeters (2x each), 3 Sears and a Belmont TV looking at different sets.

I've come to the conclusion that the JCV D-ILA offers the best picture with the least downsides as compared to the surrent DLP and LCD sets offered.

BB is having a sale on them now on-line where you'll get $200 off, free shipping, and a free Koss home theater system/progressive DVD with it (I wouldn't use it, but would probably be great for your Dad if he's not an audiophile).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626316022&skuId=6407596&productCa tegoryId=cat03006&type=product

You can search for my posts here under JVC D-ILA threads for details.

Hope that helps.

Ang

Username: Angelog

Post Number: 6
Christopher,

>> i am not sure if he will be getting hdtv. it will be used mainly for watching tv and movies and sometimes video games when my cousins are visiting.

Not getting HD ...

Well, isn't only a matter of time when most progaming will move that direction .. and DVD's will be MUCH nicer on a 16:9 HD set. Also, once he sees HD and finds out that it's only $5-$10 more/month from the cable operator .. he'll want to get it.

Games ...

DLP's are notorious for having a lag time in showing the picture when playing video games .. which makes it hard when playing games where split second timing is important. I have kids too and this was one of my points for comparing the technologies.

The JVC D-ILA doesn't have this issue.

>> Size isn't an issue

The rule of thumb is 2-2.5x the diagonal measurement of the TV for viewing distance. Remember to take into account the depth of the TV (approx 1.5'-2' for newer RPTV's). So, low 50's for 9'-12' .. 60's for >13'.

IanR
Unregistered guest
You are embarking upon a fun journey, but you also need to make some cost/benefit decisions. For instance the "new" 2005 DLP Tvs should be getting the XHD3 chipset which is well regarded for it's performance and likely 1080P compatible. But it will come at a price around say $4K++ (my guess).
Samsung makes a range like the 6193 based upon DLP 720P technology (6197 will be their new 2005 1080P model) and this can be found for around $3.0-3.1K
Both the Sony's and Samsungs have neat pictures. Look for Sony's designated 60WF655 or 60WE655 (60 inch). Be sure when viewing you see both static pictures and moving objects. Ones eye is very personal and some makes may look better to your eye than mine and moving objects are a good test.
Good luck
Start with the Samsungs and Sonys ranges which are selling (if you look hard enough) at street ranges of $2.5-3.0K for 50 - 60 inch screen sizes. SOny use LCD technology and Samsung DLP. Of course there are other manugfacturers and all have their devotees, but this is where I suggest you start.

Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 5
"DLP's are notorious for having a lag time in showing the picture when playing video games"
That's news to me!

If you want experianced input look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=54f790435e977af02d3d55489dd1b4 39&forumid=63
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us