Help! dvd recorder & go-dvd!

Username: Jmault

Post Number: 1
i recently bought a sony rdr-gx7 dvd recorder, and planned to copy all of our videos from vhs onto dvd. the idea was to get rid of all of the vhs tapes that are cluttering our living space! i bought the sima go-dvd! (ct-02) to help me make high quality copies prior to discarding the original vhs tapes.

so, i finally got everything hooked up - exactly as the instructions specify. afterward, i tried to make a "fair use" copy the children's video "alladin" from vhs to dvd. my vhs vcr is toshiba w708, and, as i said above, my dvd recorder is the sony rdr-gx7. the toshiba w708 does not have the "s-video" jack, but the sony rdr-gx7 does. i connected my toshiba vcr to the go-dvd unit using the included rca-style video cable (yellow connectors), and the go-dvd unit to the sony dvd recorder using an s-video cable. i set the video enhancement mode to normal (steady light), and the input type to s-video (orange) (the only other choice is "component", which i assume is not correct).

anyway, when the recording was finished, i immediately played it back. unfortunately, only the audio was recorded! no video whatsoever. i went straight to your troubleshooting page in the user manual (page 5), and none of them applied.

does anybody out there know what to do? please help!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 490
Use an RCA jack instead of the s-video. Most equipment doesn't convert from one to the other, so if you are using a composite in, you have to use composite out.

Craig Hausz
Unregistered guest
Here's the key...you need to change the formatting on your satellite receiver to 480i since the dvd recorded probably can't pick up the signal in a higher format. I had the same problem and have the Directv HD DVR and the manual had me switch to 480i and then it recorded the video as well as audio.

carolmiller65
Unregistered guest
I don't think the Go Video machines manufactured after Oct 2001 will copy a commercial video. Congress passed a law so that the technology could not be manufactured after that date. I have two old machines that I bought in the mid 90s and I can copy anything I want including copyright protected tapes. I also have a one-year old DVD/VHS machine that records only to VHS. I cannot copy a commercial DVD that is copyright protected. I find one every once in a while that I can copy because it isn't protected. I'm finding them less now than even a few month ago.

Username: Lightingstorm

Phoenix, Az

Post Number: 3
I have the go -dvd and had a mess hooking it up myself, I finally connected it thru a convertor box and it works great I can copy anything out there.
after about 50 dvd's now I have video and color problems when I copy dvd to dvd to backup some of my favorites looking for answers to that problem

Unregistered guest
CANNOT SEEM TO GET MY RCA DVD/VHS RECORDER TO RECORD FROM VHS TO DVD - IT WILL COME ON SAYING READING DISC THEN STOP(DVD+R) THEN I PUT IN A RECORDED (HOME VIDEO) VHS TAPE AND PRESS COPY - IT "RECORDS" FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS THEN STOPS AND SAYS (VERY QUICKLY) BUILDING DISC OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT. DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT CAN YOU HELP ME?

Username: George4407

Denver, CO US

Post Number: 1
my rca dvd recorder is a drc 8000n, and it has also bugged on me. I had some success using a cleaning disc the ones with the little brushes that spin and clean the laser crystal. have you given this a try? it may not matter if the unit is a recent purchase, I know mine has only been used to make about 40 discs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us