Strange grey areas on my Samsung DLP screen...

DanSimon45
Unregistered guest
I noticed some weird grey areas on my Samsung DLP 4663W. You can only see them in really bright areas. They seem to be in random parts of the screen. I tried wiping them off with a cloth and it didn't make any difference. Does anyone know what I could do to get rid of them?

Unregistered guest
How big are the grey areas? Are they always in the same place? I had a small grey dot about 1/8 inch on my Mitsubishi DLP and the service tech found it to be dust inside the unit.

DanSimon45
Unregistered guest
Yep they are always in the same spot. One of them is about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide. The others are a little smaller.

Username: Sterling

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 2
Dan: I had the very same issue with mine. When I called Samsung, (see my post on 11-26), they claimed ignorance. I saw the same dirt marks on the 50 and 61 inch at Circuit City in my area. I finally swapped out the 50 for the 61 inch yesterday. Now this AM, the picture on the new 61" had 2" apart horizontal and vertical lines on all inputs (crosshatch pattern), then the picture just went out completely. Of course, this is intermittent. I've already called the store and am considering changing brands? Either that or my luck is running way low. Your problem, in my opinion, is an electronic issue, not optical. I did notice on the 50" that the issue went away with about an hour of warmup. It is always visible in white to lite blue sky displays. I can't figure it out and evidently, neither did Samsung.

Lee Brown
Unregistered guest
I recently bought the same set and love the picture but noticed the blotches. I do think it is a warm-up issue related to the screen itself. If I put my hand on the screen for a couple of seconds over the blotch it goes away! I don't think I will return it for this but it seems like a subtle design flaw.

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 3
Lee: That problem with my new 61" turned out to be a loose monster video cable. (whew!) As for the dirt blobs......I really hadn't been able to isolate it to the front screen, but as soon as I return to my home I'm going to do the "laying on of hands" on the screen. That could be the reason? If so...maybe we could package it and sell it back to Samsung Repair Div.? Obviously, they don't know or don't have a proper fix.

Username: Mizzywoe

Delran, NJ U.S.A.

Post Number: 7
I had the blotch problem on my new hlp5085w and could notice them when i was surfing the internet.(hooked up through my HDMI yes!) Whenever i went to google i could see the blothces nice and clear. Yet it only seems to be a static issue. When I knocked on the screen a few times with the back of my knuckle, they would disappear as I heard the cracking sound of static. Hope this helps. The screen seems soft enough to press on so I used the back of my knuckles to avoid fingerprints.

Lee Brown
Unregistered guest
The static theory is an interesting one. We live in Colorado and the relative humidity is almost negative right now (15% - 20%). I am not sure what the set's spec is for the operating environment relative to humidity.

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 4
Well, I'm going to contact Samsung Corp. and thank them for "never returning any of my calls" to customer service where they promised to have a supervisor call me back. Thank God I bought an extended 5yr. Warranty from Good Guys. It was their technician that came to the house, twice, and asked the store level to do a trade up. If I had to wait for Samsung, sending a "know nothing" tech from a TV repair shop, nothing would have happened. All this still doesn't explain what would appear to be a very legitimate complaint. Cust. Service said they never heard of my complaint. In this string we have what?....at least 3 clients with the same issue. Maybe I should just have them read this thread? Any suggestions? Maybe we could file a "class action" requesting compensation for doing their technical investigation?

MaxJ
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Samsung HLP6163 from Costco Home. Upon opening the box, I immediately noticed two palm size gray areas. (Not even plugged in the power yet)

When the TV is on, I can clearly see the gray areas on dark background. Is this the same problme as mentioned in the thread or something new? Any suggestion? I'll ask Costco for a swap if it persist.

DanSimon45
Unregistered guest
I noticed them again just a while ago. I tried slightly pressing against the screen and I heard a crackling sound like a person above said, and then the grey spot disappeared! I'm not sure if this happens everytime it turns on, but pressing against it seems to make it go away.

DanSimon45
Unregistered guest
To MaxJ:

I don't think you're having the same problem as me. The grey spots on my TV only appear when it is turned on and you can only see them in bright areas. I'm not sure what is wrong with your TV though. Try pressing on them and see if you hear a little crackling sound. If you do that means they are the same marks.

Unregistered guest
I too am having the blotch problem, and this is the second Samsung 5063. I took the first one back because of the blotches, and now the second one is having the same problem.

Noticeable in bright areas, goes away after an hour or two of viewing. I think I am going to call Samsung once, if I do not get some satisfaction, I will be exchanging this TV for another brand.

DanSimon45
Unregistered guest
Press on those grey areas and see if they go away. I know I'm being redundant, but oh well. ^_^

JCLJorgenson
Unregistered guest
Check here for more info on the blotches you are see. The link even includes pictures as examples...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=476437
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us