Can i use a DVD Recorder on a surround sound A/V system?

Username: Deecee98

Post Number: 1
i am looking to buy a DVD Recorder - but i am leary....i have a Denon surround sound A/V receiver (components include DVD, VCR, DVR, CD player, etc).....i dont understand how i would be able to hook up a DVD Recorder & be able to select the "source"....if i wanted to record from the VCR, and then the (orignal) DVD player, etc

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 475
You can hook up the VCR and DVD player to the DVD recorder, no problem there. You won't be able to record copy protected material without a stabilizer though.

Username: Bear

California

Post Number: 1
Having difficulty adding a DVD recorder to my system. The setup is Panasonic 50" high def plasma monitor, Yamaha RX-V2400 AV receiver, Motorola Moxi DVR cable box, Denon DVD Player, and JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder. Monitor, receiver, cable box, and DVD player cabled with component video and optical audio and works great in 480 or high def mode. The JVC DVD recorder out put is by composite cables and plays DVD and CDs nicely (also has component video out but would have to switch DVD player to composit or S-video and would not gain anything). BUT the recorder input is by S-video or composite cable only. I have used the RCA cable output from AV receiver to recorder and get No Signal message on the monitor when attempting to record. Yamaha has said this should work, but for me it doesn't. So either the Yamaha will not down convert from component video to composite, the Yamaha is partially broke, or I am missing something. If it is a down conversion problem, there are DVD recorders that take component video input, like the Sony RDR-HX900 (think that's the right number) but I can't find any AV receiver that has multiple component outputs. Also, while the Motorola has component, composite, and S-video out, Motorola says you can only use one at a time (I tried and also got a No Signal). I would like to have a recorder but not by giving up the component cable required by high definition. Any ideas on connecting the DRD recorder?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
If you own the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY Plasma then it has a composite out connection. You can use this to connect your DVD player. Now with this configuration you must record what you are viewing, if this is acceptable it will work.

Your Yamaha RX-V2400 only outputs on a single component connection. It does has several different inputs which all upconvert to component but no downconversion circuitry.

Hope this helps,

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Can i play a dvd through my tv and at the same time record it using a dvd recorder as if it was a program on tv?? would that not by pass the piracy problems?

Regards

Doug

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Doug,

You have always been able to record in an analog manner which is what you are describing. Copyright protection is in the digital domain where you cannot copy a one to one digital copy of a protected work. Besides you have a right to a single copy for personal use, now if you made the copy and distributed it you are in violation.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I'd like to know if anyone can tell me where I can get a diagram showing how to add surround to my system. I've got an LCD tv, HD cable box, dvd/vcr and dvr. It's all a little confusing. Help!

lil britches
Unregistered guest
Has anyone tried hooking up a panasonic dmr-e85h dvd recorder to a motorola hi def cable box & a hi def toshiba 52" tv. problem is I can't get the tv guide to down load. I set it up per manual & tech support, It goes to channel 99 then starts all over at channel 2. any suggestions would be appreciated.

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The Motorola Hi-Def boxes are incompatible with the E-85. They changed the firmware and refuse to make any useful adjustments so that the TV Guide can be downloaded. Therefore if you want guide data you need either an older Motorola box DCT-2000 series or split the RF cable before it goes into your cable box and send one leg directly to your E-85. This will only allow you to use the guide to record analog channels.

I have used both methods. Before I got the Motorola DCT-6412 (A dual tuner HD-DVR) I programmed the cable box and used manual timers on my E-85 to record all my shows. Now I use the 6412 to record digital and HD programming and use the E-85 via the TV Guide to record my analog programming.

Good Luck,

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us