Question about EDTV Plasma??

Username: American87

NEW YORK USA

Post Number: 1
Ok.. I know that 480P is the native resolution for Enhanced Definition Televisions and I know that HDTV's display in both 480p and 1080i (A few models also in 720p).. But I just saw a description for an EDTV Plasma from Daewoo... this is what it says:

"The DTS-42 is an EDTV (enhanced-definition television) with native 480p pixel resolution and display compatibility with standard-, enhanced- and full high-definition input sources (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), making it perfect for use with progressive-scan DVD players, personal computers, and DTV set-top receivers alike."

so this seems to say that it's capable of displaying HD programs if you have an HD converter box??

If so..then whats the difference between this EDTV and an HDTV monitor which displays 1080i only with a HD converter box too...

I mean it seems that this EDTV would be preferable to an HDTV monitor since it apparently has the capability of displaying not only native 480P but also 720p and 1080i HD resolutions while 95% of HDTV Monitors only list 480P and 1080i as resolutions.. What am I missing here??

Anonymous

The key words are "display compatibility". It means that it would accept all these other resolution but it would (down)convert them to 480P for display. Remember that SD TV would not be able to even read HD signal. There are EDTV with built-in HD tuner available.

Anonymous

A good quality EDTV plasma will give a much better picture of standard def and dvd than a HDTV. Not sure of the quality of Daewoo. I recommend plasma EDTV to people who don't plan to get hi def (or don't want it) and need a slim display. Many people are also irritated with crummy standard def on hdtv's since their viewing is 95% and little selection of hd in many areas.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us