Conclusion

Username: Soupertrooper

Post Number: 6
Conclusion

After a week of internet research on HDTV, EDTV and all that jazz, I'm wondering if I'm thinking right about this theory, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

True HD signal is either 720p or 1080i.
720p can only be OPTIMALLY viewed on a screen with at least 1280 x 720 pixels
1080i can only be OPTIMALLY viewed on a screen with at least 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Now, most 42" LCD or plasma screen only have 1024 x 768 pixels. True, they can display 720p signals, but they can't optimally display it on the screen because true 720p signals do need 1280 x 720 pixels screen. So what those 42" TVs do is "compress" the signal onto the screen, meaning scarifying a little portion of the details.

The smallest TV capable of displaying 720p at 1280 x 720 pixels are either 50" plasma, 50" LCD, or 43" DLP.

So, in theory, unless we have a 50" or larger display or DLP, we can never enjoy true HD optimally. Might as well get an EDTV (yes, EDTV only has 852 x 480 pixels, but even 42" HDTV plasma can't display real true true 720p anyway)

Now, the killer combo would be either a 50" LCD or plasma HDTV or 43" DLP, combined with HD broadcast signal or 720p/1080i DVD player (Sony and Denon are the better ones so far)

This is a great article.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915.html

Again, this is the theory. In reality, our eyes might not be able to tell the difference between 1024 x 768 pixels and 1280 x 720 pixels. Meaning, in reality 50" HDTV might not look better than 42".

Plasma vs LCD vs DLP ? That's a whole different subject that I don't even know where to start.

Am I thinking right ? Your comments please.

Thank you.
PS: I am a little bummed out because I do want to see true 720p, but 50" plasma HDTVs are too expensive for my budget, and 50" LCDs can't be hung on the wall (less elegant).

Anonymous

You are right. Unless the device matches the signal resolution PERFECTLY (1:1 pixel mapping as we call it) scaling will have to happen in order to have the picture displayed. Only very high end devices (example Sony Qualia Projector) are native 1920x1080 devices and therefore, 1080i HDTV signals do NOT need to be scaled at all. This means PERFECT picture. Ok at US$ 25,000 this is the bare minimum I would expect. :-)
That is why I cannot understand why everyone keeps bad mouthing EDTV Plasma displays. At a certain distance, the picture from an EDTV (858x480) and from an HDTV Plasma (1024x768 or 1024x1024) should look the same, without any visible pixelation. In another post I mentioned why with such devices (I have a home theater with a 6 feet screen driven by a projector) a scaler is the perfect companion IF you are looking for the best possible picture. I also mention why such devices (scalers) cost a LOT of money (the really good ones). But they will handle the incoming signal and will output at the resolution your display likes the most so no internal scaling will happen at the display itself (sometimes the extra $1K, $2K on comparable devices is simply a much better scaler inside).
For the price today I would certainly go for a Plasma Display capable of 858x480. WAY cheaper and with pretty much the same picture for the average user (not the videophiles) than a higher resolution one. Now comparing to LCDs, well they use a LOT less power and apparently have a much longer lifespan. Of course contrast ration is not au par with the Plasmas. It is up to you to decide if you are after the best picture on the Plasmas (higher contrast ratio) or the best bang for the buck (no burn-ins, longer life, ligher) on the LCDs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us