LCD/DLP

Username: Jd8

Post Number: 1
I have owned a 46 inch Pioneer SD-P4681 since 1996 and have loved this TV. Within the last year I've started having problems so I want to buy a new Big Screen. I have been reading about the new LCD and DLP TV's and from all the negative things I've heard I'm thinking why do I want one of those. Am I thinking wrong here or is there really that big of a difference and I should not just buy a regular Rear projection TV and forget about the LCD and DLP technology. Thanks for any info.

Username: Psu828694

Post Number: 3
Welcome aboard JD! I have looked for months to step up from my rear CRT. I think I finally have it down to the Sony LCD 55". I think LCD technology is more simple, and true. Dlp is nice, but I dont think the moving color wheels are perfected yet. I hope I will be making the right decision. Search on this site for info on certain models you may like, and good luck!

BTW, are their anymore forums similar to this sites on the web?

Thanks

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
I don't think that you can go wrong with either technology. I went with a Mitsu dlp with the hd2+ Texas Instru chip and couldn't be happier. Each technology has its own weaknesses but as far as I can see the weaknesses are minor. The LCD has a screen door effect if you are close enough to the tv it will look like you are seeing through a screen door, the dlp has rainbows when the picture goes from dark to light. However, in my opinion, the new LCD and dlp tv's have greatly reduced both of these effects. If you decide to get a dlp set I would only consider sets that use the hd2+ chip. As I noted that chip corrects or removes most of the weaknesses in previous chips.

Username: Rowdyusp40

Post Number: 4
hey joe
i have found some good info here http://www.audioreview.com/

Post Number: 2
So would everyone pretty much rule out buying another CRT rear and going for the more expensive DLP or LCD's. Are there any decent crt's on the market? I've heard the same things about the rainbows and the screen doors. I guess what I'm trying to ask are the DLP's and LCD's really that much better than the crt's.

Post Number: 3
After just reading on Clark Howard's site I think I'll wait a little while. He says the Big Screen Plasma's will be under 1,000 and the LCD's under 500 next year.

Username: Rowdyusp40

Post Number: 5
I haven't seen Clark Howard's site...but do you really think any electronics is going to drop 85% or so in one year???? Especially these big TV's! (the hottest thing going) If you are waiting on the next big advance or better pricing... you'll be waiting forever!

Post Number: 4
I find it hard to believe to but then again I paid 200 for my DVD player and a year later u can get them for 50 so who knows. I think I'll fix my Pioneer and wait a little longer. These rainbows, burn ins, and screen doors just scare me. Seems like the more I read the worse it gets.

Wxman
Unregistered guest
I guess my feelings are similar to a few others about DLP and LCD. The DLP's pq is incredible when they're working but many of the sets seem too susceptible to several types of problems. LCDs have also had their share of problems including bulb issues and don't produce blacks as well as DLP and CRT, but the pq is still excellent. I'm hoping Samsung's 74 series being released now will eliminate most of the current bugs without creating any new ones but am also considering going to more reliable rear projection CRT for a few more years if that doesn't happen.
JD asked if there are any decent CRT rear projection sets out there and based on a very favorable review of Hitachi's 57S700 at Designtechnica I think there is.

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1787_main8943.html

The review was for last years model, but I've seen this years model 57S715 and the pic quality is very good, but most of the fixed pixel displays still look better to me. I guess it's a trade off; good reliability, very good pq, potential burn in, and lower cost (CRT RP) vs excellent pq with several potential problems, no burn in, and higher cost (DLP/LCD)
To be honest I still haven't made up my mind yet. Guess I'll continue to read the posts and straddle the fence for a while.

Username: Aapple

Naperville, IL

Post Number: 1
Let me start off by saying this is my first post here. I have been reading for about 4mo now, and I have finally purchased my first 'big screen.' What a frustrating journey...more than 40 visits to video stores...12 visits to the same store! The more I saw and the more I read, the more confused I was. Anyway, sorry...the winner was SONY KDF55WF655.
I've had it for two weeks now, and I am pleased with my decision. Yes I accepted the fact that the black is not as black as DLP. Overall that was not too important to me. I like bright colors and a slightly brighter picture. I found that to be an advantage of the Sony.
I was not pleased with most of the DLP sets I saw. The nicest DLP sets I saw were from Samsung. Yet I have not had good experiences in the past with Samsung so I do not trust the quality of their products. I do trust Mits and Toshiba however, but found too many physical features to my distaste. The Toshiba--did not like Silver, did not like the 5 in speakers on each side. The picture was pretty good though. The Mits--I could not bring myself to pay the extra cash for their error in judgement of placing a 'mirror' on the front of the set; that was disappointing. Overall the Sony looks great in my room, my wife is getting comfortable with the size, and the picture is great.
In summary, the weaknesses of the the Sony were not greater than the weaknesseses of the DLP sets. The price was much better (2900) and the technology has been in Sony's hands for longer than DLP has been in the competitors' hands. Good luck with your shopping. I can finally sleep now that I've made mine.

Unregistered guest
i was woundering if there are any DLP projectors with a 4X speed colour wheel in them? i am haveing trouble finding them!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us