Help !!! need to selct dvd recorder

Username: 18c

Post Number: 3
Im new to all teh dvd recording systems.. i am looking for a decent dvd recorder that i can not only record from tv but also make copies of dvd's .. for example.. if i record something on a dvd with my dvd camcorder.. i ould like to be able to make copies of that dvd so i can send home movies to family.. are there any dvd recorders that actualy make copies of dvd's and if so.. could you point me in teh right direction?

Post Number: 4
i would like to be able to make copies of home dvd movies.. and possibly movies that i have bought also..

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 457
You need a DVD recorder with a hard drive to make copies. Or you could buy a burner and make the copies on the PC, that would be faster, cheaper and give more options for editing etc. I've got a JVC that does videotapes pretty good, but it has some issues, I wouldn't buy another one. If you want to copy anything prerecorded you need a stabilizer.

Post Number: 5
im new to this.. what is a stabelizer.. and when you say a dvd recorder with a harddrive.. is this what you mean? http://www.shopathometv.com/shopathome/network/jshop/shopdev/product/detail.jsp? BV_SessionID=@@@@1021920062.1100749332@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddddjmdgklcefeceeedffjdfjg.0&n=0& OID=59167 and what exactly will the dvd recorder hard drive allow me to do?... and is it hard to figure out? you will have to excuse me but i know nothing about this.. and my wife wont let me get one until i research it.. and we can can see what they do so we make sure we get the correct one..

Post Number: 6
sorry that link didnt work.. but this is teh info.. one last question.. how big of a hard drive will i need to record movies and what not.. for instance how much time will a 30 gig drive like this one hold?

With the RCA Scenium DVD Digital Media Recorder, you can enjoy the best features of a progressive scan DVD player and a digital video recorder--all in one powerful device. Don't worry about missing your favorite television shows, with the convenient, no-fee Guide Plus+ GoldTM interactive TV guide, you'll easily be able to record 40-hours of your desired shows! Record over-the-air, cable, and satellite broadcasts, or copy JPEG photos and MP3 files to the 30GB hard drive.
Features

Progressive Scan DVD Player
Digital video recorder with 40 hours of record time on 30 GB hard drive
One touch recording using GemStar Guide Plus Gold
Music MP3 jukebox
Progressive scan processor
Digital PhotoView
Dolby Digital and DTS compatible
Universal Remote

Post Number: 7
and if this is not what you are reffering to.. can you please link me to one that would best suit my interests please...

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
I wouldn't buy anything by RCA myself, cheap trash. It depends on what speed you do stuff in as to how many hours you will get per disc space used. 2 hours in SP uses about 4 1/5 gigs, in LP it would use half that much. I don't use one with a hard drive, so I don't know if they are different, but LP recording drops the resolution to half what it is in SP on one without a hard drive. As far as what a hard drive will do, it will let you make exact DVD copies of stuff that isn't copy protected. You can take the DVDs out of your camcorder, if you buy a compatible recorder, copy the disc to the hard drive, then burn as many copies as you want from the hard drive. You need to find a recorder that accepts whatever format your camcorder is.

Post Number: 9
ok cool.. thank you.. would you or anyone else happen to know of a good dvd recorder that i could get..? and what is a stabelizer? and what is a good one to get?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thank you.. would you or anyone else happen to know a good dvd recorder to get ?.. and what is a stabelizer and what type , and where should i get one of those?

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
A stabilizer is a box that goes between the source and the recorder for recording copy protected material like prerecorded videotapes or DVDs. I don't really know what's out there these days, I've had mine for over a decade. Sima makes one and their products are pretty good. What format does your DVD camcorder use?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
dont have teh dvd camcorder yet we will be purchasing it when we get teh dvd recorder but this is teh one we will be buying, Sony DCR-DVD101 Digital DVD Camcorder

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
which brings me to a whole nother subject i will be asking about in another section.. i have heard that is dvd camcorder is not a very good .. and that it doiesnt take very good quality still images.. but i have also heard good things about it also.. so i may need help finding a good dvd camcorder also

Silver Member

Post Number: 466
I don't use a camcorder, so I can't help you there. You need a DVD recorder that uses the same format as the camcorder, whatever format you decide to get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us