FireWire... how useful is it on a TV?

Username: Arlin

Post Number: 3
I'm debating between a couple of televisions;
one has 1 HDMI & FireWire
the other has 2 HDMI & No FireWire

I know HDMI is becomming more common as a means of transmitting (HD) digital video and sound.
I think FireWire is capable of pretty much the same as HDMI, but is a much more versatile connection (2way vs 1way..etc.).

BUT, I am having a hard time finding any devices (DVD players, Satelite Recievers, VCRs) that offer a FireWire OUTPUT! About the only thing I can find is DVD recorders that only use a FireWire INPUT to transfer movies froma camera to disk.

So, my question is, should I opt for a TV with more HDMI inputs and no FireWire, or a TV that has FireWire, but fewer HDMI?

I am just confused as to the use of FireWire. I just can't find anything that uses it other than video cameras and a few DVD recorders.

Bronze Member
Username: Pitburger

Post Number: 13
I was too. Firewire is used for the computer or digital camera connections to your TV not the HD video and sound. As long as you have one HDMI on your TV you should be fine. Connecting all HDMI devices will be accomplished in one of two ways
1) New Receivers coming out with all HDMI ins/out, so it will be your swtich
2) An HDMI switch and save the cost of one of these new (likey) expensive receivers

Most cable co STB do not have HDMI as of yet, mine has DVI but its not even active yet. Not sure of Direct TV, dont have it. So for now my one and only HDMI connection is the DVD to TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us