DVD player won't play when connected to TV

Anonymous

I am new at hooking electronics up -please help.
I have a newer JVC DVD player that I have connected to the audio/video connections on the back of my older zenith tv. (I also have an antenna hooked into the back of my tv.) When I turn my tv on channel 3,4 and aux nothing happens. The DVD player is fine -and is running but all i see is black and white static on my tv. Do I need an RF converter or black box to make my newer dvd player work with my older tv? I have tried changing the settings on my tv and that isnt helping either. And my remote is so old that it does not have a source button on it. I have purchased new cables so I know they are fine and I have even taken the atenna off the back of my tv as well. Nothing seems to help. I am thinking that I do need the black box... any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Anonymous

Yes, you'll probably need a RF converter. You'll plug your DVD player into the RF converter (the cables should be color-coded, so just match them up). Then you'll have a co-ax cable coming from the RF converter that you plug into the co-ax on your TV, most likely where you're antenna is. It's been a long time, but I think most RF converters will have a in and out co-ax connection, so you'll plug your antenna into the IN one, tv goes in the OUT, DVD player in the colored RCA plugs.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 444
If there is no source button, how do you get it on auxiliary? That is what it needs to be on. Check connections again and make sure the switch in the back of the player isn't on progressive.

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 157
Your report is rather confusing. Are you using a coax out from the DVD player to the TV? If so, you need to change the TV setting from "TV" to "video." There must be a switch on the TV's remote that says something like TV/VHS?
Switch the TV to the "blue screen," then you should be able to play your DVD player just fine.
As you have an older TV set, does it have a "composite" input? That will be an RCA plug marked "coax," or the like. Hope you have your TV manual!
If you do NOT have an RCA input, then you'll have to go the RF converter route - but your picture won't be very great.
Keep us posted, please.
Oh, yes - on the back of your DVD player - which output to the TV are you using? Composite? S-video?
You used to play VHS recorders through channel 3 or 4, but the DVD players go through a coax cable. As I said, if your TV doesn't have such an input - RF converter is the only way to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us