Best dvd player with onkyo HT-S770 htib

Username: Jason586

Glen rose, Tx Us

Post Number: 1
I recently sold my home; and the buyer wanted the 53" HDTV (Panasonic), vcr (JVC), dvd (JVC), and stereo (Sony 60 disc CD combo unit) set up. None of it was that special, and it gave me an ecuse to upgrade. My wife's parents want to get us a Christmas present in the $500 range. So, we are going to go with the Onkyo HT-S770 that has been getting all the great reviews. So, now I need some of the other components to compliment it. First, I want to get the best dvd player and vhs player or a combo unit that will do the Onyko justice but not overkill as this one - I have to pay for. Great pic, plays all the cd formats, etc needed. I have been reading the reviews around, but need a more specific direction to head in...don't want to spend more than $200 unless something warrants it.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 413
For $200 you can buy a DVD recorder and scrap the VCR unless you have a bunch of tapes. Even if you do have a bunch of tapes you can put them on DVD and they will look better than playing in a VCR. The audio and video is so much better than VCRs it has to be seen to be believed. There are also so many other advantages, no rewinding, no looking for certain points on the tape, less storage space with discs, blank discs cost less than tapes. There are so many advantages there isn't hardly room to list them here. That takes care of your player and VCR in one unit.

Glen rose, Tx Us

Post Number: 2
I don't have many tapes; but a few needed to keep from childhood events to my wife's workout videos, etc. Are you saying to just get a cheap vcr or borrow one to put the needed VHS tapes on cd with a dvd recorder? Do you do that the same way as you hook up two vcrs - at least basically? With that, what do you think of the ht-s770 set up? For $500 or less, seems to get pretty consistent reviews on being the best for that price range. I don't mind the larger speakers or poor remote. And I will change the wire as it seems everyone suggests. What dvd recorder would be best with it? I will be watching photos made from the computer, cd's made of compilations, standard music cds, rented movies, etc. So, I'm looking for something that is the best all-around - and I don't want it to break down in 12 months. Thanks!

Glen rose, Tx Us

Post Number: 3
I was just thinking...except for those few VHS tapes, I don't think I even need a recorder. I can't remember the last time I've recorded anything. So, I would rather get a better quality, all-around player than a lesser recorder if that was the choice. Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
The problem with DVD players is the spindle motor. Spending more doesn't get any better spindle motor than a cheaper one. Most manufacterers use a cheap DC brush motor that just doesn't last. DVDs spin very fast and vibrate from unbalanced discs, stickers from rental places etc. Put the speed and vibration together and the cheap motors don't cut it. Try to find one with a direct drive spindle motor. I just bought a JVC that has one. My 6 year old Panasonic has one and it still works fine, unfortunetly the new Panasonics don't.

Glen rose, Tx Us

Post Number: 4
The JVC dvd that is going with my home was one from my wife - it is 5 years old and works great. A few thoughts: I just dicovered that there is the ht-s777 for about $150+ more with the onkyo 6 disc dvd player - is it o.k. - will it last - heard anything about the dvd in it? I could pay my in-laws the difference, if that would be the best way to go. I see a lot of good things about the pioneer 563A which I found on ebay for about $100. Lastly, how do you like the picture and sound of the JVC you got. What is it, how much, and wear did you get it? Lastly, one thing maybe to consider - I was thinking of getting something like the 106" projection screen set up that I saw on QVC, home shopping, or one of those - it was $1599. Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
I like the picture on the JVC, but I've only got it hooked to a 27" Panasonic Superflat TV, so what it would look like on a 106" I don't know. It's got 8 picture adjustments is what I like about it. It's an XV-N410B that I got from Sears Liquidation on e-bay for $38, it's great for what I paid for it. 106" for $1599 can't be a very good quality TV. I've never been much of an Onkyo fan myself, so I don't really know much about their stuff. Alot of people praise their stuff and alot are unhappy with it.

Glen rose, Tx Us

Post Number: 5
I searched and found the tv setup I saw. It is the Infocus Screenplay 4805 Front Projector with a 106" Draper screen for $1599. I looked up reviews at projector central, and it seems to get really great remarks by almost everyone except for a fan that is a bit too loud on the high output setting. The JVC dvd we are letting go of is a xv-523; just a side note. Seems like the Onkyo HT-S770 gets stunning remarks from just about everyone reviewing it as well. So, with this set up - any thoughts on dvd players that would suffice? Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
Projector, that makes sense, I was thinking projection TV. I didn't think they made them that big and definitely not that cheap, off in lala land. Projector, wouldn't have any idea what would go with that. With a screen size that big you will want something with the highest quality picture you can find I would think. A small screen is far more forgiving than a large screen when it comes to picture quality. Panasonic makes some DVD players that have good picture quality for the price. Lousy spindle motors in them though, supposedly they have been improved, time will tell on that one though.

Glen rose, Tx Us

Post Number: 6
I have read good things about the Panasonic s47s. I even found a thread where it was the dvd player suggested (for budget dvd players) by a higher end electronic store with the Infocus 4805 in a home theatre set up. Nothing jumps out as the best in its price range like the 4805 and ht-s770 htib. Still hunting? Don't know whether it is worth jumping to a lower-end denon.
Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Denon uses a Panasonic motor/laser assembly last I knew, so as far as how long it will last it's probably comprable to Panasonic. Denon has a soft picture from what I've seen about them, I don't like that much myself. On the other hand, Panasonic has the sharpest picture of any player I've seen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us