Need help in buying an HDTV

Anonymous

Can anyone suggest the best HDTV I can buy. I would like to purchase an HDTV, all ready to use, that is about 35 to 45 inches. I have no clue about HDTV's and the difference between monitors and an actual HDTV, etc. Can anyone help? What should I look for?

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 98
That's opening a can of worms when you ask for the 'best'. Better you should ask for personal choices. I have 42XS910 (SONY now has the XS955 on the market) and I love it. On the other topics read the forums. Not all HD sets have the same contrast ratios, native resolution and other user friendly features. I believe you need to see the sets in action at a store to see which sets using the SAME signal appeal to your eyes.

Anonymous

Best HDTV?

Here is what you need

1. PANASONIC PT-AE7000U LCD FRONT PROJECTOR - cost around 2200 dollars

2. COMCAST service or equiv with for exmple a HI DEF DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER, (preferably 2 tuner) E.G MOTOROLA DCT 6400, add 15 to 20 dollars a month to cable bill

3. MONSTER (or equiv) DVI TO HDMI CONNECTORS - ABOUT 129 DOLLARS

4. 92 inch 16:9 TRIPOD SCREEN - e.g Elite (reasonably priced from Taiwan) - LESS THAN 200 DOLLARS or a white wall of some size

5. A SOLID TABLE OR SHELF

6. HI FI STEREO for rca or optical hookups from MOTOROLA audio connections - 5 bucks max

RESULTS FOR HI DEF CHANNELS

1. beyond in-theater quality
2. close to IMAX in quality

Unregistered guest
I want to buy an HDTV to fit on a shelf 50 inches wide - money no problem. The viewers will be situated about 15 ft from the TV. What is the appropriate choice with respect to LCD, plasma etc and the manufacturer?

Unregistered guest
I want to buy an HDTV to fit on a shelf 50 inches wide - money no problem. The viewers will be situated about 15 ft from the TV. What is the appropriate choice with respect to LCD, plasma etc and the manufacturer?

Unregistered guest
Should i get an HDTV with HDMI.Would The Samsung TXR2678WH be a good one.

your_help
Unregistered guest
needhelp...you should go for plasma at this time if you're looking at 50inch and plus. LCD still a major problem with refresh rate, especialy at 50inch plus. It said much improved now but I have compared it in circuit city. Not worth spend much money an LCD now. LCD is best when it's 25inch or smaller. Otherwise, plasma is recommended idealy for home theater.

Major weakness of plasma is burn-in. With the latest model, it's not much a concern anymore. There is a trick to get away with burn-in, event with the earlier model. The store or online salesman will show you how. Most popular brand now, PANASONIC.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 118
Stay away from DLP, and LCD. Read the forums. too many issues with both technologies. The Sony WEGA thread is particularly interesting. If Sony can't get it right....well. As far as DLP I would stay away from that until reliability is such that you don't HAVE to buy an Extended Warranty. YOu will need $200-$300 proj Bulbs every year or so on the PAnasonic and others as well.

Find a good RPCRT for $1200-$1500 with a non glare screen, wait three years then sopend $1500 on the technology that proves it's relaible instead of spending $3000 today and beta testing the latest crop of crap.

sparky3489
Unregistered guest
I see no mention of Brillian's Gen II LCoS technology, or is it too new for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 49
I have a sony WEGA LCD 42" and have found NO problem with it...look at the new sony 3LCD TV's...42-50"..

or the new Mitsubishi LCD TV...I can't recall the size, but it's quite impressive...it's this years model...

I'm headed to the sony lcd thread to see what all the fuss is about...

Silver Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 124
I would recommend Plasma Maxent MX-42X3
http://www.maxentusa.com/_coreModules/eShopping/productDetail.aspx?productMaster ID=21

I almost bought it a few weeks ago at costco. $1999 minus $300 off. The picture quality is great and could not tell any difference between it and Pioneer and Panasonis which cost at least $1000 more.

Anonymous

I WANT TO BUY A FRONT SCREEN PROJECTION SYSTEM. IT IS PRETTY CONFUSING. WANT TO USE FOR HDTV,TV,DVD. ANY HELP?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us