Post Number: 1
I have the following equipment:
directv/tivo
vcr
tv
everything works fine.
I am able to save to vcr from tivo.
I can play all of my vhs tapes.
we are getting a dvd recorder in a few days and I want to be able to transfer my tapes to dvd's.
I also want to be able to make dvd's from tivo.
Please tell me the best way to hook up the dvd recorder,directv/tivo,vcr and the t.v.
thanks
burtshell

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 391
Use RCA jacks from the tivo to the DVD recorder, better yet an s-video cable if the tivo has an s output. Hook the VCR to the recorder with RCA jacks and the recorder to the TV with the component jacks if possible, if not an s-video cable, if the TV has neither then RCA jacks.

Username: Burtshell

Boynton beach, FL United States

Post Number: 2
thanks,but do I have to hook up the vcr to the tv?
burtshell

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Not unless you want to be able to watch the VCR, to record, no. Once you use DVDs you'll soon trash the VCR.

Post Number: 4
thanks,david

Post Number: 5
one more question.
should I also hook up the tivo to the t.v.? or does the tivo to dvd to tv.do the trick.
sorry to be such a bother
burtshell

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
No bother, I'm on the computer all day it seems like. If you want to watch the tivo without having the recorder on, I wouldn't recommend having it on to watch something other than the recorder itself since they can run kinda hot, then you would need to hook it to the TV directly. If the TV doesn't have enough inputs then you can use a video switcher.

bob55
Unregistered guest
I bought a LiteOn 5005 DVD Recorder. When I connect it to either my old TV (using red/white/yellow cables provided) or my old receiver, I get annoying audio hum in background (like old PA system). I tried on another old TV and got same hum. I tried Monster cables, and same thing. Very distinct when i toggle between TV (audio fine) and Video (audio hum).
Is it the cheap DVD recorder? Thanks very much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
What do you have for an incoming signal, and how is it hooked up. I've used 3 DVD recorders, I never heard any hum, audio sounds exactly like it does without the recorder.

bob55
Unregistered guest
thanks for replying. I hooked up the cable tv (RF) directly from the wall to the dvd (no box/no premium channels), and the dvd directly to the tv (RF). Then, the three cables (yellow/white/red) directly from the dvd to the TV or the tuner. Either way, the audio hums. Any clues? I'm about ready to return the LiteOn and buy a Panasonic e55. Any clues?

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
May just be defective. I've used 2 Panasonics E10, E20 and the JVC DR-M10, never heard any hum. I've used 3 different satellites with them too, never used cable.

Username: Lobo65

Post Number: 5
I posted a similar question that no one answered, but I got some useful information from this one. One thing I'm wondering though. If I hook my TIVO up like his, will I be able tape shows directly from the TV, or will I have to wait until I tape them to the TIVO first before I can transfer them to DVD? The guy who hooked up my TIVO hooked it straight to the VCR, and I haven't yet figured out how to tape from TV or TIVO to DVD. Only from VCR to TIVO.

jim215
Unregistered guest
I have a TV with only an RF input. I have been using my CABLE BOX and VCR with no problem for many years. This Christmas I received a Samsung DVD-P241 with the usual ( I guess )RCA jacks and the S-video jack. What do I need to hookup the DVD? I hope it's not a new TV!

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
You need an RF modulator.

jim215
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Dave! Happy New Year!

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have an old TV, newer VCR, new Satellite receiver, new DVD player, and a RF modulator. All attempts have led to either VCR/satellite functionallity and no DVD, or DVD functionallity w/no VCR/satillite not working. Help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 625
You need a video switcher. It will accept all your inputs and send them to one output, you will just have to select what you want to use. They can be bought at WalMart or Radio Shack.

ffaced
Unregistered guest
Help. How do I hook up a DVD+RW to a TV (cable only) that already has a DVD-RW/VCR twin tuner hooked up. I already record VHS to DVD(+RW) and vice versa, but would like to also attach an add'l DVD(+RW) to the mix.

Is it possible to have two DVD recorders to one TV?

Robyn
Unregistered guest
I am having trouble connecting a DVD player. I have an older TV, but it has the correct plugs in the back, red, yellow and white. Hooked those up to the DVD, turned power on, put disc in, etc. Nothing happened. No menu, nothing. The TV just kept playing the cable channels. The DVD indicated it was "playing." Something in the manual said to make sure the TV was set correctly, something about Video 1 or Video 2. I can't find where to do that on the TV. In the menu?

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
There should be an input/auxiliary button on the remote or the TV. Some old TVs had the line input on channel 100.

Laurie B
Unregistered guest
I recently got a DVR (digital cable tv w/ Tivo builtin). They gave me instructions on how to hook it up. Did so, didn't work. Called the help desk with my cable co and they advised I needed a 2nd RF modulator to hook up. Bought one. Hooked it up. DVD player works, DVR works, but the sound from the TV/DVR does not come through my DVD surround sound system. Any idea on how to get the sound to come through?

Unregistered guest
David,

I will be using Comcast Cable HD box. My receiver is Denon 3805 with component video switching (3 in 1 out). Im looking at a dvd player/recorder with a hard drive. Can you tell me how you would hook this up? TV has 2 component inputs, but i'd like to do all the switching through the receiver. Receiver has 4 optical inputs for audio. I envision components out of the cable box to receiver, out of dvd player to receiver, out of receiver to tv. ??? Is this the right track>? How do I get the recorder to record tv shows? what is that hookup? thanks for any input here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
I don't know what outputs an HD box has, but the DVD recorder will connect with an s-video cable if possible, if not RCA jacks. Panasonic and Toshiba, I saw the other post, don't have component inputs, only outputs. Anything that can be hooked with components should be. One thing to remember, whatever goes into the receiver it has to go out the same as far as video, it won't convert from one type of input to a different output. So if it's component in it has to be component out too.

Anonymous

I have DirectV TIVO and want to move a daily used VCR exercise tape onto TIVO. Tried the RF input to TIVO to no avail. Saw that it's possible connecting to a satellite input on TIVO but don't think so! Also how to find signal on TIVO menu.
Thanks,
Scotty

KHazz
Unregistered guest
I have an old tv, with just coaxial input on it. I recently got a new DVD player, but seem to be having trouble getting a clean signal. It keeps getting fuzzy, and 'skipping' a bit. This is the second DVD player I've tried. Both DVD players were fairly cheap... around $50 - $80 Cdn. Do I need to break down and spend more money on a more expensive unit, or do you think my old TV is the problem. (The VCR and Satellite seem to work fine...) I currently have the Satellite and DVD channeled through the VCR. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I have a tv w/built-in vcr. When I hook up the audio and video cables from a dvd in back, the tv screen and sound goes blank. I can watch a Dvd But have to disconnect at the tv to go back to tv veiwing. What do I need?

little sis
Unregistered guest
Hi! I have a dvd and I'm trying to get the thing to show the darn picture. I receive the sound but that's it. I brought the 3 color plug and I still don't get the picture. When I plug into the vcr to the tv I get everything alright. The dvd has an coxial outlet/s-video outlet 1 and 2/audio out/ there is a column y/pr/pb. the tv has plugs infront that are video/ audio l/mono andr in video. please assit me in this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1090
Set the TV on whatever input you connected the player to, look for an input button on the remote.

Trixie
Unregistered guest
how do i hook up a dvd player to an old tv using a vcr?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1108
Usually you can't because of copy guard. Connect the DVD with RCA cables to the VCR in and set the VCR to line.

Unregistered guest
My situation involves connecting different components to my a/v receiver. I have a comcast cable receiver, dvd, and vcr that I am attempting to channel through my receiver to view on an old tv (I have a rf modulator). Audio is great, but I can't get a picture to save my life. I want to be able to change components with one touch through my receiver. Any suggestions????

Gold Member

Post Number: 1170
You don't tell how anything is connected. First off, if you are using composite outputs, you have to use composite inputs. Connect each component to an input on the receiver, then the output of the receiver to the modulator. Then select whatever input you want to watch on the receiver.

Anonymous

i have a panasonic dmr85 and i am trying to hook up a go dvd/vhs player to it. how can this be done and then will i be able to record dvd's like that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1174
Not unless you've got a stabilizer.

abba
Unregistered guest
what does that mean???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1177
Digital video stabilizer, do a search there are dozens of posts on the subject.

Mikropolis
Unregistered guest
Okay, let's see if I can explain this right. I have a Lite-on DVD Recorder and an RCA HD DLP with a cable card for the HD & digital channels- no box. The coaxial goes from outside right into the DLP. There is a three RCA output on the TV, but no coaxial out. But the return from the DVD back to the TV goes into a separate input(1) than the digital channels, so the catch 22, is that I can't use the instruction screen on input 1 to view the channels (it just shows an infinite mirror of the instruction screen). Input 1 doesn't allow me to change the channels, without changing the input selection. I thought of using input 1 to hit the "go" button, then change inputs assuming the RCA video output will reflect whatever input I have selected. I have yet to try that, since I'm not interested in making a coaster. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? (That is if you could keep track of this thread!!) Bottom line is that my TV acts as the digital/HD cable box, so just intecepting the coaxial cable feed to the DVD-Burner will only yield basic cable channels and I want them all, especially since the burner will burn at the 16:9 ratio of HD. Thanks.

Mikropolis
Unregistered guest
Well, I'll answer my own question, as I decided to go ahead and use a DVD-R disc since I didn't feel like going out and buying a RW. I hit "go" on the record command and changed the Input 1 to my regualr channels (HBOHD). It did in fact record the channel I changed it to-much grainier of course, a DVD-R is really not much different in quality than VHS!! One disadvantage to using the output only is that the TV and the right channel have to stay on!!!

I then tried to change the Input to my DVD player, hoping that an anaolgue signal might transfer through, but alas it was blocked out.

Anonymous

Need some help in understanding the best method to connect a Tivo and a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR EH50 to my TV. I do not have a cable box but may upgrade to digital cable in the fall. Right now the RF cable is split to the Tivo and the TV. What is the best method to put the DVD in the loop and what are the best cable imputs to use. Any thoughts or suggestions will be most appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1313
Connect the cable going to the TV to the recorder and from the recorder to the TV. Then connect the recordrer to the TV with, in order of preference, component cables, s-video cable or RCA cables. If using component or s-video, you still need RCAs for audio.

Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up a Direct TV unit to a DVD player and an old TV that doesn't have the red, yellow, and white cables. Before Direct TV, I used an RF modulator to watch thd DVD. Now, I can get my Direct TV to work, but not the DVD player. How can I get the DVD player to work too?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1333
Do you have the satellite on? The modulator should automatically select whichever input has a signal.

Unregistered guest
Yes, the satellite is on. The tv just doesn't pick up any audio or video.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1334
Turn the satellite off to watch the DVD.

Jeremy44
Unregistered guest
How should I wire everything?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1335
Connect the sat to the coax input on the modulator, then connect the DVD to the RCA inputs on the modulator.

DOLLY
Unregistered guest
I have a dvd that I made and want to copy it to a VHS and watch the DVD on the TV while it is taping to the VCR

Anonymous

Humming noise.. I have this problem ever since I upgrade the firmware on my 5005 liteon.. dissapointing to say the least.. before the update, no hum (and I know I wasn't hearing it), then, I reset to default.. update using their instructions (software then firmware) and then, when I select the source as channel 3, new humming noise..

Here's hoping they give us access to old firmware, otherwise, here's another return :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us