Sony 975 owners, please comment

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 61
I've ordered a new Sony 975 DVD/CD player, and the reports I get indicate that this may be one of the better units out this year - and for a great price.
Anyone out there actually OWN one? And if so, please post how it sounds - what SACDs and CDs sound like on it. I'm actually buying it more for sound than for picture quality.
Thanx. . .

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 247
Larry:
You could be the first 975 owner on this forum. Meanwhile, have you read the cnet Sony 975 review? The HDMI output is very attractive to those of us with fixed-pixel displays.

Surely the DVD-V and SACD performance will be top-notch, but the question is what about redbook CDs?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 113
John S. - thanks, no, I had not read that review.

But after reading it, I wonder - would I be better off saving money and getting the Sony 775, instead?

I have no hi-res TV set - basically a CRT one with S-video input.

I'm MOST concerned about the sound, not the picture. Sounds to me like the 775 has about the same specs for audio - with the exception that you can't adjust bass rollover on individual speakers with the 775. Since I can do that to some extent on my Onkyo amp, I may not care, anyway. Will research more. Thanks!

More anon. . .

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 248
Yes, the Sony 775, after a look at the spex, would appear to be a better buy as the the only significant difference between the two is the HDMI output. But the price difference might lead one to wonder about the audio quality....maybe.

But before you go pull the trigger on the Sony, please consider a couple of low-priced universal units, namely the Pioneer DV578A and the Toshiba SD-4960. Both players look to have equivalent video and audio quality of the Sony with the added advantage of DVD-A playibility. Both have bass management through their analog outputs for SACD and DVD-A.

Redbook CD sound quality with these units is unknown.

Both these units are available at, or near the price of the Sony 775.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 121
John S. - well, I pulled the plug and went for one of the brand new Yamaha DVS5770s. After talking and researching, I think this player will be a good one for me. Several techies I've talked with say its audio section is vastly superior to the Sony - but who do I believe? (grin)
Well, we'll see. . . Thanks for the postings!!

BTW - the Pioneer 578 sound isn't as good as the "old" 563 - and there are some reservations about its quality. The Toshiba gets good marks for electronics, but not for general build. One of my friends has turned his back already.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us