Need help with HD reception

confused HDTV girl
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,

I just hooked up my ScientificAtlanta 8300 HD receiver to my Sammy HLP5063w via HDMI.(i have adelphia cable)

While the number of HD channels are rather
limited ( 8 or so with "NBC-HD", "ABC-HD", "Fox-HD","-HDNET", "HDmovie" channels in addition to regular NBC,ABC, etc), the pictures look absolutely stunning, esp on those HDNET channels with 1080i resolution. However, I am slightly confused and my boyfriend has been frustrating - so I wanna take charge.

My questions are :
1) For some reason, the other channels (when TV is set on the HDMI connection) shrink for some reason (black bars left and right) unless I use the zoom feature and lose resolution.

2) HD broadcasts on other channels (i.e. TNT) don't seem to come out as HD.

Has anyone experienced or fixed these issues??

Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated. thanx guys =)

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
1) For some reason, the other channels (when TV is set on the HDMI connection) shrink for some reason (black bars left and right) unless I use the zoom feature and lose resolution.

HD is transmitted in a 16:9 ratio (the full size of your TV screen) SD (standard definition) signals are transmitted in a 4:3 ratoio (just like the majority of TV's produced today). What you are seeing is perfectly correct (whether you like it or not is another matter entirely).

2) HD broadcasts on other channels (i.e. TNT) don't seem to come out as HD.

Not all shows are broadcast in HD all the time. Furthermore just because a network might be broadcasting in HD does not mean your local channel is rebroadcasting the show in HD. Even if they are if you are using digital cable they may not yet have an agrement with the local station to pickup their HD signal and send it to you.

Bottom line: An HDTV does not turn programs into HD, it merely displays the data it is sent.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us