Hdtv or hdtv ready.

Username: Joseph

Post Number: 1
I am looking for a big screen tv. I am not sure if i should get one that has a hdtv tuner already or get a hdtv ready one.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 89
What is your input source? The hdtv tuner will only help for OTA(over the air) broadcasts. Both cable and dish systems require their descrambler boxes to get HD signals from their services

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 143
getting a HDTV with a built-in receiver is like
getting a TV with a built-in VCR or DVD player.
my 2 cts.

Anonymous

HD receiver has no moving parts so it can't be compared with VCR or DVD.
Back in the good old days (about 3 years ago), would you even think of buying a regular tv without a NTSC tuner? What is the difference now? It is because TV manufacturers can charge more for the tuner. The price will go down because of the FCC mandates in the near future.
Here are the pros and cons of built-in HD tuner:
Pros:
- Flexibility especially when the cable or satellite is down.
- Usually about $200 more than the non-built-in counterpart, still cheaper than the standalone tuner.
- Save you space for another set-top box.
- Channels control by the TV remote (how I hate using different remote for different thing).
- If you are financing your tv through one of those tv manufacturer's deal, you can finace the whole thing.
Cons:none

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 144
hmmm no cons ?
what if the receiver breaks, then you have
to take your TV in to get it fixed.

Anonymous

Isn't this true for all regular tvs? Would this still be a con then if it applies to all regular tv? I think not.

Everything would break but solid state electronics without any moving parts and not generating a lot of heat would have a very little chance of breaking.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 90
Well, it is a little like component stereo. DO I buy one piece with everything built in, or do I buy better (what I perceive to be better) parts individually. I think after the mandated conversion to digital that ALL TV's made will include a digital OTA receiver. High Definition may be a different matter. The panel for an HD set will cost more than regular reception panels for some time to come. You may receive HD but display in regular or ED until you get an HD set.

learn2read
Unregistered guest
> Well, it is a little like component stereo

Not really. See what has already been written a couple of times about moving parts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us