HDTV cable/Satelite vs. normal over the air

BigFox
Unregistered guest
Hi, I was told by Home Theater guys that receiving HDTV signal over normal antenna (over the air) is much better than receiving hdtv the program via cable or Satelite.

Because, cable and satelight may change the quality, compression, and the format to able to transmit through their system. Is this true?

BigFox

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 86
If it is, I can't tell the difference. Both display in 720p or 1080i, but when it comes to compression (and I know little to nothing about it), it appears to make little, if any, difference. I have sat. hdtv channels w/Voom, and a few OTA channels w/antenna, and they both look amazing (if the material you're watching is produced in high def.)

Anonymous

I don't think anyone can tell the difference either. No one should make a blanket statement like that because it depends on many variables. It may be true if your house has a direct line of sight of the broadcast towers. I don't know how your cable company handle the local network HD signal but, as far as I know, all 3 satellite companies would just install an outdoor antenna for you to get local networks HD off the air.

Bigfox
Unregistered guest
Hi, bought one HDTV today. I can't not tell the different either. Bigfox

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 89
The variables would have an effect on the quality, yes. But these variables (like compression) are decided by the broadcasters; I think these variables are out of our hands. Also, digital's cool like that and crap like that because you either get it or you don't. It's a great picture, but you have to receive the signal with enough strength to get it at all. If the antenna is within direct line of sight, and in adequate distance, you'll get it. If not, you can still receive the signal, and it will show just as good as it does with a "direct line of sight" signal. There will be no difference like there is with an analog antenna (snow and whatnot). But, if the signal is too weak (most boxes have a signal strength meter in the menu), you won't see the picture at all, or it will come and go.

Anonymous

do you need an hdtv antenna with an hdtv receiver, or does a normal antenna with an hdtv receiver work just as well?

Username: Goose1873

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 4
Most HDTV is broadcast in UHF (ultra-high freq.), so you need an antenna that picks up UHF (not just VHF)...Most antennas pick up both, some are better for UHF....HD antennas....

Unregistered guest
I have a OTA antenna on my Mitsu 62525 and I couldn't be happier. I get all the Digital stations in my area 95129 zip crystal clear. The antenna is a DB4 from antennasdirect.com. I stuck it in the attic (single story home) and it pulls in the digital signals awesomely. Here's where I based my decision to get the DB4: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us