DVI to HDMI dilemma. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Username: Throttle

Post Number: 9
Hi there guys. I have an LG DVD player with HD up conversion capabilities. It has a DVI output. my 42" Hitachi LCD TV has an HDMI input.

Well I got ahold of a cord that is a DVI to HDMI. Now the only problem is that I get no picture whatsoever when using this setup. Do I have to somehow tell the DVD player and TV to use their DVI and HDMI connections? ANy help is GREATLY appreciated, as I am getting quite frustrated.

Post Number: 10
Last night I connected the HDMI to DVI cable from my satellite receiver (DVI) to my tv (HDMI). It worked fine. This tells me that the cable works, and the hdmi slot on my tv works.So now I believe that I have a faulty dvd player, as the eject button doesn't work, and can only be opened with the remote, and I get no picture with the DVI connected to the DVD player. The only two options are that the dvd player is faulty or that the dvi to hdmi doesn't work with the dvd player for some reason (or that I have to select the DVI output on the DVD player somehow) before i reutrn the DVD player, I was hoping one of you may be able to shed some light on the situation. My dvd player is an LG with the HD up conversion with Faroujda chip or something. any help greatly apreciated, thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 93
There will definitely be a menu option or "switch" to enable to HDMI output. I have the Toshiba upscaling player and I had to switch the mode to "HDMI" to get a picture though the HDMI cable. Same with the crappy samsung 841 I had for a week. You might have to hook up the player using component first so you can see the menus. You should also have an option as to what you want to player to upscale to. Since your TV is native 1280x720 you should select the 720p output.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks mr. Lynch, your help so far has been greatly appreciated. I checked all the menus on my dvd player, using component video(model# LG DV7832NXC) and there is nothing for using DVI output.

I phoned around and a guy said it might be because the satellite uses DVI-A and the dvd player uses DVI-D. But I am pretty sure the satellite uses DVI-D as well. I think there is something wrong with the DVD player. I am going to take it back to the store and ask them to hook it up using their connections to see if there is a picture, if not, I will have them replace the DVD player, if there is a Picture, I'm going to have to return that expensive cable.

thanks again for all your help Mr. Lynch

Unregistered guest
I have a jvc HD52Z575 with only one hdmi input. I also have a a Toshiba SDV592 dvd/vcr with an hdmi output and upconverting capabilities. My HD content provider is a Dish Network 811 HD receiver with a DVI output.

My question: Since the JVC HDTV also upconverts would I be better off using a direct hdmi cable from the Toshiba dvd player to the HDTV and running hd component connections from, the Dish Network 811 or should I convert HDMI to DVI from the 811 for the best broadcast picture and use a lower level connection from the DVD player?

I would have to buy a DVI to HDMIconverter.

Or would I be better just using HD components for the 811 receiver to HDTV connection and saving the HDMI for the DVD player to HDTV connection?

I basically have one HDMI input on the HDTV and both the HD reveiver (DVI) and Toshiba (HDMI)to connect. What is the best solution? Both the player and HDTV upconvert.

Thanks for helping me prioritize this problem.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 199
I also have the JVC (HD52z585), an Upscaling DVD player (Toshiba SD-5970), and a Motorola HD box with DVI output. I use the HDMI with the DVD player. There is a noticable difference between it and the component input.

With the cable box, I tried a DVI to HDMI cable and I saw NO difference at all. So I use the HDMI for DVD, and Component cables for the cable box.

My best suggestion would be to try it and and see what you think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us