Samsung DLP with "Squashed" Picture

Unregistered guest
After waiting months (seemed like years) to get my new Samsung 61" DLP I was disappointed when I played my first DVD. The picture seems "smashed" down - making people look very stocky. I've tried everything but haven't found a fix. Anyone else have this problem - is there a fix or am I stuck with "squatty" people?

Discovering
Unregistered guest
Your DVD player has a menu for screen format as does your new DLP set. I have set my DVD for 16:9 and left it there. I use the menu on my Samsung to adjust the screen according to the native input signal. That said...I have discovered that there are two 16:9 video formats that DVD's can be recorded in as well as the fact that they can also be recorded in 4:3 standard. Go figure. My old "Twister" DVD did the scrunch while my new Norah Jones "Live in New Orleans" looks fabulous! Don't forget that your cable or sat box also has a menu that should be set for your new 16:9 set and will give you a choice of how to view other formats.

Credit777
Unregistered guest
Discovering -

Bingo! I also got a new DVD player and had no idea they had their own set up menus too. You've solved the problem. Interestingly, the colors are much better as well. Thanks so much for the post!

Anonymous

I am in the market for a new, large rear projection TV and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Samsung 61" HLP6163W. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that when there is text on the screen of the demo model, it is not as sharp (actually looks fuzzy) as other DLP's and LCD's. I tried monkeying with the settings but to no avail. Is this a common characteristic of the Samsung?

Discovering
Unregistered guest
Your on the right track. DLP technology is the best. I almost bought the 61" myself. What kept me from it was the large size/less quality picture and the distance I would be from the set in my home. The P5085 is a refined generation three DLP product. Signal quality in the store may not be up to snuff either as they usually split it and amplify it to show on more sets. This adds noise. Do this test. Find one playing a DVD. Walk up close to it and you will see a deteriation in picture quality that you won't see at let's say 10-12 feet. Measure your true viewing distance at home. You may not want to go any larger than a 50" set. In other words, bigger isn't better. I'm 12 feet from my P5063W and it's just incredible to watch. I use a Direct TV signal as well as off air HD here in the Dallas area. I have refined my picture settings, bringing the contrast down to 80, brightness to 50, sharpness at 50, and I'm not overdriving the color. I keep it between 40-45. I doubt the store has spent any real time doing this. I've turned off the DNLE feature. I use high quality component cables, not DVI or S-Video. High Def blows my socks off. I'm a trader who watches FNN, Bloomberg, and news with word crawls. Nothing's fuzzy on my 50". If you can get back at least 15 feet from a 61" you may have similar results.

Username: Teeprib

Post Number: 1
I am considering buying the Samsung HL-P5085W. I will not be getting an HDTV signal since my apt building only has the basic digital satellite reception (Direct TV). My sister has last year's model and does not get a good picture for local channels. Has anyone had any experience with this?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us